Synthetic Oil Leftovers - What OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd agree with low-temperature viscosity being possibly messed up with mixing. Also, mixing creates different percentages of AW, FM, detergents, etc., all the additives are now a special one-off mixture, which blenders try to optimize to pass dexos1, SN, LL-01, etc., the performance tests.
I'm sticking with the understanding that mixing using Infineum additives (Pennz-Mobil-Quaker-Shell) doesn't create major issues, though using across other brands carries a higher risk of problems.

Nobody said it would "create major issues."

The assertion is that it would be less-than-optimal and shouldn't be counted on for a full OCI. That's it. Period.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Originally Posted By: wemay
LINK
http://www.astm.org/Standards/D6922.htm

ASTM D6922 - 13

Standard Test Method for Determination of Homogeneity and Miscibility in Automotive Engine Oils
Active Standard ASTM D6922 | Developed by Subcommittee: D02.B0

5.1 It is important that engine oils from different manufacturers be homogeneous and miscible with each other, because operators of automotive engines often do not have prior knowledge of the manufacturer of the oil that is currently used in their application, and engine failure can occur if oils are combined that do not stay homogeneous and function properly.

I too have gone back and forth on this topic.

Good info, thanks. I think this concludes our worries about performance abilities of mixed oils. I'd say to the op to just run your typical oci

Originally Posted By: wemay
5.1 It is important that engine oils from different manufacturers be homogeneous and miscible with each other, because operators of automotive engines often do not have prior knowledge of the manufacturer of the oil that is currently used in their application, and engine failure can occur if oils are combined that do not stay homogeneous and function properly.

Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
Good info, thanks. I think this concludes our worries about performance abilities of mixed oils.

That doesn't conclude anything...

and that link doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know (mixing oils will not destroy your engine)

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Nobody said it would "create major issues."

The assertion is that it would be less-than-optimal and shouldn't be counted on for a full OCI. That's it. Period.

Why is this so hard to understand?

American and Asian cars sold in North America usually have conservative OCIs and are spec'ed for conventional.

Just because mixes are not extensively tested doesn't mean they don't work well. I think that is just an assumption.

Yeah right. I had a brew of some T5 10w30 courtesy of K Marts clearance a month ago and some QSGB 5w20 in my 300K 97' Bonneville. Went 6k on it and nothing bad ever happened

Originally Posted By: car51
Yeah right. I had a brew of some T5 10w30 courtesy of K Marts clearance a month ago and some QSGB 5w20 in my 300K 97' Bonneville. Went 6k on it and nothing bad ever happened
As many have mentioned, on new cars we tend to get very picky about the purity of oil blends we put in. Old cars, nah, they'll do fine.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Just because mixes are not extensively tested doesn't mean they don't work well. I think that is just an assumption.

Didn't say it wouldn't work. I said it's not the best option because it couldn't be expected to work well.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

Didn't say it wouldn't work. I said it's not the best option because it couldn't be expected to work well.

They could also be the exact composition of the gimbal lube on the hubble telescope...we don't know.

But to say that there "could" be a reduction in performance is a way better assumption than "mix and all will be as good as each of the starting lubes"

Think about it...which is more of an act of faith rathern than understanding ?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
After 1.5 years of various fills using M1 0W20 , 5W30 , QSUD 5W30 and PP 5W20 I have enough synthetic leftovers to do a complete fill for the wife's grocery getter

Do you own a lawn mower? Change your lawn mower/power equipment oil with this "blend".

And use this "blend" to top up the oil in your cars for the next few years until it is all used up.

There, problem solved.

problemsolved504226.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
my lawnmower is electric, and my car's oil level doesn't drop between oil changes.
Electric mower here too; All my idiot neighbors still live in 1955 with their belching gas lawnmowers. And you're lucky if your car doesn't use oil.

no, these engines don't consume more than 100 ml of oil between changes (12k historically), and then only those who are getting a bit long in the tooth.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Electric mower here too; All my idiot neighbors still live in 1955 with their belching gas lawnmowers.

Judge-Judy-Eye-Roll-Thumb.gif

If you weren't aware, this is BITOG - Bob is the Oil Guy. Not "Bob is the loser hipster guy that drinks a pumpkin spice latte while couting his carbon credits and espousing the virtues of modern communism" guy.

My understanding is that all api motor oils are compatible. I don't see an issue. Possibly a sodium based add pack mixed with calcium base could be problematic bit I seriously doubt it and you didnt name any sodium based oils anyway.also isn't sodium actually a type of calcium I believe I read?

I sincerely hope you're kidding. This is basic chemistry: Sodium and Calcium are two unique, different elements, as shown below in this clip from the periodic table:

23tfw5x.jpg

(I've circled Sodium and Calcium in the picture)

Sure, they're in neighboring groups, but thinking that one is a type of the other would be like thinking beer is a type of cheese.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
My understanding is that all api motor oils are compatible. I don't see an issue. Possibly a sodium based add pack mixed with calcium base could be problematic bit I seriously doubt it and you didnt name any sodium based oils anyway.also isn't sodium actually a type of calcium I believe I read?

I sincerely hope you're kidding. This is basic chemistry: Sodium and Calcium are two unique, different elements, as shown below in this clip from the periodic table:

23tfw5x.jpg

(I've circled Sodium and Calcium in the picture)

Sure, they're in neighboring groups, but thinking that one is a type of the other would be like thinking beer is a type of cheese.

The elements themselves are also technically not the additives.

Sodium and calcium are just counter-ions in larger organic additive molecules.

Sodium and calcium based additives could work exactly the same way. You don't know unless you know exactly what the additives are.

Sodium and calcium can both form different types of chemical salts. That's where you may have read that they are the same. They have similar properties.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

In case of Guinness it might be..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back