Synthetic Oil Leftovers - What OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 1.5 years of various fills using M1 0W20 , 5W30 , QSUD 5W30 and PP 5W20 I have enough synthetic leftovers to do a complete fill for the wife's grocery getter '07 Kia Sedona 3.8L V6 ... Any reason why I can't go with a 6,000 mile / 6 month OCI on this Frankenstein synthetic oil mixture ?

No reason why a random mix like that couldn't go 6k miles. Use it at the next oil change without hesitation.

I wouldn't. Then again, I wouldn't mix oils like this unless I didn't really care about the car. It's not like the engine is going to fail overnight, but mixing so many different oils is basically maximizing the odds of additive clash.

If you do decide to run this brew, I'd recommend half that interval.

Mixing all that is fine, since all their additives come from Infineum, jointly owned by Shell (SOPUS-Pennz-Quaker) and Exxon-Mobil.

My understanding is that all api motor oils are compatible. I don't see an issue. Possibly a sodium based add pack mixed with calcium base could be problematic bit I seriously doubt it and you didnt name any sodium based oils anyway.also isn't sodium actually a type of calcium I believe I read?

Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
My understanding is that all api motor oils are compatible. I don't see an issue. Possibly a sodium based add pack mixed with calcium base could be problematic bit I seriously doubt it and you didnt name any sodium based oils anyway.also isn't sodium actually a type of calcium I believe I read?

What?

http://www.ptable.com/#Writeup/Wikipedia

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Mixing all that is fine, since all their additives come from Infineum, jointly owned by Shell (SOPUS-Pennz-Quaker) and Exxon-Mobil.

Unilever makes food and cleaning products. Are those okay to mix because they come from the same company?

My understanding is that all api motor oils are compatible.

"Compatible" in the sense that they won't have any immediate horrible chemical reactions when mixed. That doesn't mean they'll actually work well together.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Unilever makes food and cleaning products. Are those okay to mix because they come from the same company?

It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping!
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75ishimmer.phtml

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

We're talking about oil.

When someone can show me actual proof, not just opinion, that mixing oils is harmful, then I will stop. Nothing wrong with it.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

What?

It was a question. If you know better you should say so instead of just saying "what". Maybe one day I can be a super bitoger like you haha

I mix oils almost every oil change. Sometimes up to 4 different oils. Usually run a 9,000 mile interval. Never had a problem.

Last edited:
It was a question. If you know better you should say so instead of just saying "what". Maybe one day I can be a super bitoger like you haha

What do you mean "isn't sodium actually a type of calcium"?

I only have a minor in chemistry so be gentle.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

What do you mean "isn't sodium actually a type of calcium"?

I only have a minor in chemistry so be gentle.

OK well I'm proud for ya if that's what your looking for
grin.gif

I just thought I read somewhere that it said that but wasn't sure. That's why it was in the form of a question.

Originally Posted By: Bud
When someone can show me actual proof, not just opinion, that mixing oils is harmful, then I will stop. Nothing wrong with it.

Best comment here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back