SynPower 0w-20 for potential 10K mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on following the OLM in my wife's '17 Grand Cherokee with the Pentastar V6. The manual recommends a maximum of 10K miles if the OLM doesn't trigger. She drives 20K+ miles per year. I'm guessing either by OLM or the recommended max, the OCI will be close to 10K

Being under warranty, I'm sticking with an oil that's MS-6395 certified. How comfortable would you be running SynPower out towards 10K miles?

If it's approved for your applicable spec then you should be fine. The engineers at Chrysler and Valvoline are no dummies and that's why formal approvals exist.

As long as this OCI will satisfy the warranty I don't see a problem. I've done 10,000 miles on conventional. 15,000 on synthetic. Go for it!

hOW BIG IS THE SUMP. oN A 5l SUMP ON OUR SUBARU iD SAY 7-*K THE OIL IS DONE. gOOD OIL CHOICE THOUGH, THE BEST WEVE USED. I DO EVERY 4 MONTHS. tbn RENTENTIO MAY BE ACCEPTABLE BUT aW AND EP WILL LIKELY BE CONVERTED.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
hOW BIG IS THE SUMP. oN A 5l SUMP ON OUR SUBARU iD SAY 7-*K THE OIL IS DONE. gOOD OIL CHOICE THOUGH, THE BEST WEVE USED. I DO EVERY 4 MONTHS. tbn RENTENTIO MAY BE ACCEPTABLE BUT aW AND EP WILL LIKELY BE CONVERTED.

Sump is 6 qts.

What does the mfg recommend for the oil? Run your oil of choice for 7,500 miles and do a uoa then go from there.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What does the mfg recommend for the oil? Run your oil of choice for 7,500 miles and do a uoa then go from there.

This..

I stocked up on a bunch of Napa Syn 0w20 the last time it went on sale and plan to use it for the recommended 10K mile OCI on my wife's Toyota Highlander. Supposedly NAPA 0w20 is identical (or close to identical) to Synpower 0w20.

Originally Posted By: CT8

From the OP:
Quote:
The manual recommends a maximum of 10K miles if the OLM doesn't trigger.

Pretty much any 0W-20 SN will be good for 10k miles. Synpower included.

Chrysler's oil spec is insanely easy to meet. VWB dino meets it. Following the OLM under warranty then after powertrain warranty, run as long as you want with a UOA to confirm it.

With that many highway miles, I wouldn't be surprised it the OLM didn't go of until 10k anyway.

You spend approx 30K for a vehicle then go el-cheapo with long OCIs. Why not take better care of it and change the Valvoline every 7-8K?

.... or are you going to trade-in / sell the vehicle at 100-150K?
.... or is this a lease vehicle?

You sure don't sound like you will be first and last owner of that vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
You spend approx 30K for a vehicle then go el-cheapo with long OCIs. Why not take better care of it and change the Valvoline every 7-8K?

.... or are you going to trade-in / sell the vehicle at 100-150K?
.... or is this a lease vehicle?

You sure don't sound like you will be first and last owner of that vehicle.

Just feel like running your mouth tonight?

Why not take better care of it and change the Valvoline every 7-8K?

i agree with this completely. long ocis are good for car manufacturers to appease governmental pressures (cafe and the like) and lazy and cheap consumers that dont want to spend money or time on maintenance.

His wife's Cherokee has an OLM. It could trigger at 7-8k or it could trigger at 10-12k. You guys are no doubt aware that the OLM triggers based on a variety of factors.

He is using a quality synthetic, not some junk off the shelf. A 6 quart sump isn't exactly small so going up to 10k isn't a big deal.

My son's 2015 Chrysler 200S w the Pentastar goes well over 8k miles on dino MS5K - the 6 qt sump really helps. I'll get a UOA on his next change this summer. I think Synpower for 10k should be a walk in the park - just keep it topped off.

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
Why not take better care of it and change the Valvoline every 7-8K?

i agree with this completely. long ocis are good for car manufacturers to appease governmental pressures (cafe and the like) and lazy and cheap consumers that dont want to spend money or time on maintenance.

Complete and total speculation.

Why not change your oil every time you drive it? Then it'll always be clean and the engine will last for an eternity.

Based upon 25 years of experience, synthetic oil, and a variety of vehicles under my care I would never go BELOW 10K for the OCI. There is no need to waste and your car will be just fine for as long as you want to keep it.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Based upon 25 years of experience, synthetic oil, and a variety of vehicles under my care I would never go BELOW 10K for the OCI. There is no need to waste and your car will be just fine for as long as you want to keep it.

+1
Experience + relevant knowledge in pushing 'boundaries' >> knowledge from reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back