Switching to Synthetic, Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking to my dad about switching the oil in both my engine, and transmission to synthetic.

his response was "[censored] no" because he says "The dried up oil and stuff from normal oil could be keeping your engine and transmission from leaking, or burning oil. If you switch to synthetic then it will remove all of that and will end up causing more problems.

Ive talked to several other people about this and they say to switch the transmission to full synthetic ( i have a 97 dodge intrepid) and maybe use a syn-blend on my engine.

I just wanted to get your guys opinions and experiences on this! = D

if it cleans up stuff and shows that a problem exists, wouldn't you like to know?

I really dislike the "avoid fixing issues and problems" style of automotive upkeep.

JMH

Technically, it could happen. i have seen it, but it is rare.
The odds are greatly with you that you'll have no problems.
All you will really gain is longer oil change intervals, in your case.

Yay. I switched to syn for both motor and transmission at 60k miles and have had no leaking/issues at all. Couldn't be happier...

Yay... Switch to synthetic and tell your dad to get it car fixed if it leaking oil.

welcome2.gif

Synthetic is better for cold starts and at low temperature, but the extreme high temperature will likely not be an issue for how you drive. A synthetic group IV or V oil like Mobil 1, Amsoil or Redline may cause leaking but it is unlikely. Something like Pennzoil Platinum probably won't, as it is still chemically like conventional motor oil, but as it is severely processed will offer you the high and low temperature performance advantages.

If you do not intend to extend drains and are not seeking extreme temperature performance, high or low, the engine wear difference will be negligible between a high quality conventional motor oil or synthetic blend and a synthetic. If you really want to try for an "upgrade" in oil, watch for Pennzoil Platinum on sale and you will get your dollar value out of it, but if you change oil every 3000 miles and do not face conditions below -10 F regularly or run your car loaded and extremely hot in summer, you don't have much to gain from a synthetic oil.

Synthetic in the transmission will at least initially give much crisper shifts and offer a fuel economy advantage if you short trip a lot because synthetic transmission fluid is much thinner at low temperature, and at high temperature offers greater protection and longevity. Switch to synthetic fluid when your car is due for a transmission flush, get all the old fluid out, change the filter and put in the new fluid. If your transmission specs ATF+4 that limits your selection for transmission fluids to an extent, and if I recall the solenoids in those transmissions are quite picky.

Since you have a 97 dodge intrepid, you may want to use Auto-Rx, even if you don't switch. The reason for that is, they bumped up the compression in their power plant, and so they recommend colder plugs than other engines of similar design and displacement. On top of that, being lean burning SMPFI, even if well maintained, the ring packs tend to carbon up. ARX will definitely remove every last bit of it. Your valve covers may look clean inside, your cams and followers too, and yet your ring packs are very likely a bit coked up. ARX will restore your compression and fuel economy, and when you are done, I bet that you will swear you just rebuilt it. True story, and no I don't sell the stuff.
55.gif

Please check out this thread. ARX success story - Ford Vulcan 3.0 V-6

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Why would you want to change to syn oil? What would you expect to gain.

Mr. Anti-Synthetic

Quote:

Anti-Synthetic

It may be time to call the anti-defamation league.

However you are free to refute any of the points made by McGregoir.
It is not the oil for everyone.

I remember a well known tribologist say on this site said a qood quality, Group 3 SM rated oil, would produce similiar results as a high quality fully PAO oil of a few years ago.

Why would you want to change to syn oil? What would you expect to gain ? These are fair questions, doesn't mean one is anti synthetic.

To me it means, one should have a clear plan and reason for using the correct oil and have a good idea what you expect to return from the oil you have invested in.

Following a trend or a crowd doesn't endorse the brand or grade of oil in a particular situation as the best one for you.

I guess you just haven't noticed him saying the same thing all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back