Supertech MP3614

Picked one up to try on my 2.0 Ecoboost. I really like the Ecore design and the fact that it has a seperate bypass valve unlike the ST3614 combo valve. The ADBV is black rubber though instead of the blue silicone one show in the cut open youtube videos. I find it hard to believe they would advertise a 20k filter without a silicone valve. I only run 5k max so it doesn't matter too much to me. I considered using it on my OPE and picking up a Fram PH3600 to try an oversized filter for this application. At least it still has the orange valve.

Here you go

Attachments

• 6C59B060-FB48-4DBC-84F0-EFF32C71B165.jpeg
    6C59B060-FB48-4DBC-84F0-EFF32C71B165.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 170
  • EAE3B044-A903-482F-97A7-B4B8146D8D23.jpeg
    EAE3B044-A903-482F-97A7-B4B8146D8D23.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 171
  • E22F4B2C-5212-4098-966E-D4944AD655EB.jpeg
    E22F4B2C-5212-4098-966E-D4944AD655EB.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 172
Yikes. Yeah I wouldn't be very happy about that either.

I'm sure it'll be fine for OPE for a year but I wouldn't use that on a car for 20,000 miles.

I called Champ customer tech support this morning and asked if this filter is still being rated at 20k without the silicone valve and the representative says they are still silicone and that they are having a supply chain issue getting the blue color silicone. They have chosen to switch to a black silicone valve instead of halting production until the blue valves can be made. I’ll use it as I’m only running 5k max anyway but I just didn’t want to pay for something I wasn’t getting.

I called Champ customer tech support this morning and asked if this filter is still being rated at 20k without the silicone valve and the representative says they are still silicone and that they are having a supply chain issue getting the blue color silicone. They have chosen to switch to a black silicone valve instead of halting production until the blue valves can be made. I’ll use it as I’m only running 5k max anyway but I just didn’t want to pay for something I wasn’t getting.
Sounds like we need the burn test. :oops:

Its great that you got a person to answer your question and the answer makes sense.

I have a somewhat similar question. How does Champ labs produce a 20,000 mile oil filter with a retail price of 5.97? The SuperTech is $2.20 to $6.52 less than the competition in the 20,000 mile filter class. That is a staggering amount.

I can rationalize the plastic center cage versus a steel tube lowering the cost but there must be something else they're doing better/smarter than the competition. Also at 30 microns, does it add a lot of manufacturing cost to get to 20?

I would be very interested in your thoughts and insights on this. Thank you.

1677691274321.jpg

I have no clue. I think it’s just sheer volume and selling of a product you’re already being paid to make anyway. For instance, Walmart pays Champ to take a white filter rated at 10k miles “ST7317” and put a sticker on it and sell for $3.33 in store. I run a shop and buy Champ directly from the distributor in bulk. If I buy that same filter “PH2867” in a case is 12 I pay $1.90 each. They make one product and sell it multiple ways. As a side note the fiber end cap is actually pretty tough. I’ve cut them and tried to pull the fiber cap from the media and I couldn’t do it by hand.

I called Champ customer tech support this morning and asked if this filter is still being rated at 20k without the silicone valve and the representative says they are still silicone and that they are having a supply chain issue getting the blue color silicone. They have chosen to switch to a black silicone valve instead of halting production until the blue valves can be made.
Needs to be verified. Fram said the same thing, but a burn test on the so called "black silicone" ADBV showed it was nitrile.

I can rationalize the plastic center cage versus a steel tube lowering the cost but there must be something else they're doing better/smarter than the competition. Also at 30 microns, does it add a lot of manufacturing cost to get to 20?
For 20 microns at 99% it appears as though it does.

I got a MP7317 with a black ADBV - date code last July - 070822. I got one of a later date that had an orange ADBV in it.

OP - what is your date code?

.......They have chosen to switch to a black silicone valve instead of halting production until the blue valves can be made.
I'm going with Yogi's statement here, "it's deja vu all over again." As noted, similar statement from FB/Fram reps when black nitrile first showed up on EG/TG. At some later point, did admit black was nitrile caused by supply issues. Many here speculated that early on.

Want silicone adbv on MP series, look for blue or orange. Run black adbv MP for 5k, be fine. As for later burn test result, sticking with Accam's. To this point on adbv material, only wrong once.

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay the premium for a black "silicone" MP over an ST (or even Champ or Fram PH), it's basically a ripoff. First Brands CS is in a race with Mann's CS to see who can spin the biggest lies, er, fibs!

Back