Silicone vs. Nitrile ADBV

An ADBV keeps oil in the oiling system when the engine is off. Not many engines specify a filrer without one.

Always wondered about this. In my truck the spin on filter sits at the bottom of the engine, with the threaded side facing up. Theoretically if my filter had no ADBV, where would the oil go? To me it's like having a cup filled with oil at the bottom of the engine and doesn't matter if there is a filter there or not, I would think the oil can't possibly drain up or down?

I would think there is more AEM in use than meets the eye

IMG_1980.jpg

Always wondered about this. In my truck the spin on filter sits at the bottom of the engine, with the threaded side facing up. Theoretically if my filter had no ADBV, where would the oil go? To me it's like having a cup filled with oil at the bottom of the engine and doesn't matter if there is a filter there or not, I would think the oil can't possibly drain up or down?
Siphoning maybe 🤔

Even with a filter that "sits at the bottom of the engine with the threaded side up", the ADBV helps hold/keep the oil in the oiling system galleries located above the filter from draining down. The same oil that comes out of the engine when the filter is removed. All oil located in the system is trying to drain down to the level of the sump. So even though the filter in that location won't necessary drain, the oil located above the filter could drain down and leave air in the galleries above the filter.

Last edited:
Even with a filter that "sits at the bottom of the engine with the threaded side up", the ADBV helps hold/keep the oil in the oiling system galleries located above the filter from draining down. The same oil that comes out of the engine when the filter is removed. All oil located in the system is trying to drain down to the level of the sump. So even though the filter in that location won't necessary drain, the oil located above the filter could drain down and leave air in the galleries above the filter.
I understand the theory, but I work in the industrial world, and its hard enough keeping hot oil out of stuff with tight shaft seals. Not sure how long a flap of nitril / silicone will hold oil above it. I should rig up a test to satisfy my own curiosity?

I’m using St 20k blue can filters with silicone ADBV. Good enough for stuff I maintain and friends stuf.
The ST filter may be better than 'good enough' from what I've seen upon dissection....nice even pleats and plenty of them (compared to some of the 'name brand' filters I've seen). I was just wondering if it's worth it to pay approx. 70% more for the filter in order to get a silicone ADBV? Some will say the filter element is diffrent in the ST 10K and 20K filter but it doesn't look that way to me. Now a Fram EG and a Fram Ultra definitely have a different media from what I've seen.

The ST filter may be better than 'good enough' from what I've seen upon dissection....nice even pleats and plenty of them (compared to some of the 'name brand' filters I've seen). I was just wondering if it's worth it to pay approx. 70% more for the filter in order to get a silicone ADBV? Some will say the filter element is diffrent in the ST 10K and 20K filter but it doesn't look that way to me. Now a Fram EG and a Fram Ultra definitely have a different media from what I've seen.
Either way I’d spend the $5 and get blue ST

I understand the theory, but I work in the industrial world, and its hard enough keeping hot oil out of stuff with tight shaft seals. Not sure how long a flap of nitril / silicone will hold oil above it. I should rig up a test to satisfy my own curiosity?
Let a vehicle with a vertical, base-up filter sit for a week and then remove the filter to see how much oil runs out of the filter mount, which would be the oil in the system above the filter. Repeat that same test with a filter without an ADBV.

I've left removed filters sitting for over a week with the base down, and then cut them open and all the oil between the can and the media stayed in the filter for a week. So apparently the ADBV was sealing enough to do that.

It’s on my “to do list” … #312 at the moment 😎
I've got an ACDelco on a Mazda3, but the oil change probably won't be for another 6 months. I'll do a burn test on it when it gets changed.

It seems some filter manufacturers add a silicone ADBV to an identical filter and charge much more and extend the mileage usage recommendation. Supertech's $3.38 10K filter appears to be identical to their $5.90 20K filter except for the addition of the silicone ADBV....STP's 5K filter seems identical to their 10K filter except for the addition of the silicone ADBV.
If you are changing your oil every 4 months/7.5K does the silicone ADBV really matter when everything else about the filter is equal?
All about marketing and upselling.

For all reasons highlighted by ZeeOSix in post #19, silicone is superior to nitrile for adbv. Especially beneficial over longer/extended fcis.

As for ACDelco use/promotion of "AEM", while perhaps better than nitrile, it's still rubber. My 'speculation', it would burn same as nitrile.

The real question is :
Does your vehicle need a filter with a ADBV . I never had a vehicle that needed one .
Our fj cruiser does. The filter mounts on top,threads down. I have to use silicone valves or they will drain overnight. Here is a pic I stole from the Internet

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240112-060547.jpg
    Screenshot_20240112-060547.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 15
The real question is :
Does your vehicle need a filter with a ADBV . I never had a vehicle that needed one .
So every vehicle you've owned has a filter specified in all the filter brands that don't have an ADBV ?

What vehicles ?

So every vehicle you've owned has a filter specified in all the filter brands that don't have an ADBV ?

What vehicles ?
I'm saying all the vehicles I've owned had filters that mounted with the threads up . So the ADBV wasnt an issue .

I'm saying all the vehicles I've owned had filters that mounted with the threads up . So the ADBV wasnt an issue .
How do you know ... did you use oil filters without any ADBV to detect any difference? Just because a filter is mounted vertical with base up on the bottom of the engine doesn't mean it doesn't benefit from an ADBV ... as discussed earlier in this thread. The oil galleries above the filter can still drain down if there is not ADBV in the oil filter.

Back