ADBV Burn Test - Silicone vs Nitrile Rubber

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I posted some of this information in another thread, but thought I would dedicate a thread showing the difference between how silicone vs nitrile rubber burns. The tables below show the key differences when the rubber is burned. If you have a doubt on if the ADBV is silicone or nitrile (ie, a claimed "black silicone" ADBV), then try setting it on fire - outside of course.

This is a simple test to verify if a filter ADBV is silicone or nitrile rubber. Some companies claim that their black ADBV is silicone ... is it really ??

1648333737899.png

1648333877084.png

Regardless of the color of the ADBV, it will burn as shown depending on if it's silicone or nitrile. The differences are quite evident. Both ADBVs where thoroughly cleaned with 99% isopropyl alcohol before burning.

SILICONE ADBV
This is a burn test on a Fram Ultra silicone ADBV. It burned just like the tables above indicate. I could hardly get it to start on fire (had to hold the lighter on it for a very long time), and the flame would barely burn and self extinguish. Hardly any smoke, and the burned rubber was white ash. The burned rubber just flaked off after the flame self extinguished.

Fram Silicone ADBV Burn Test-1.jpg

Fram Silicone ADBV Burn Test-2.jpg

Fram Silicone ADBV Burn Test-3.jpg

NITRILE ADBV
This is a black shiny ADBV from a quick lube oil filter - looked like a Champ Labs made filter. Did the burn test and it's 100% obvious that it is nitrile.

Started on fire almost instantly and easily, and the flame spread quickly, and gave off lots of black smoke. No white burn residue, but instead a black burn residue. Definatly smelled much more like "burnt rubber" than the silicone ADBV.

Some people may think the shiny black ADBVs are silicone, but this test shows otherwise.

Nitrile ADBV-1.jpg

Nitrile ADBV-2.jpg

Nitrile ADBV-3.jpg

Nitrile ADBV-4.jpg

Last edited:
Appreciate the research in and test but I don't see how this is applicable to a ADBV application. The oil in the filter will ignite long before the anti- drain back valve catches fire.

I don't think it is a contested point that silicone is a better material for this application that nitrile. Even orange Frams have silicone now. BUT nitrile in many cases is good enough for typical OCIs.

Not sure why people would think black is anything other than nitrile. Generally silicone is orange or some other custom color to make it obvious "THIS IS NOT YOUR TYPICAL NYTRILE RUBBER" No reason to make it black and make it indistinguishable between it and a cheaper material.

Appreciate the research in and test but I don't see how this is applicable to a ADBV application. The oil in the filter will ignite long before the anti- drain back valve catches fire.

I don't think it is a contested point that silicone is a better material for this application that nitrile. Even orange Frams have silicone now. BUT nitrile in many cases is good enough for typical OCIs.
It has nothing to do with the oil or the ADBV "igniting" in use. It's simply a way to tell if the ADBV is silicone or nitrile.

Silicon is going to be better than nitrile in an oil filter, even if nitrile is "good enough".

Last edited:
So it seems that Fram's usage of black ADBV's lately would indicate they are using nitrile again....thanks Z
Note that the black ADBV I burned was NOT from a Fram. But others have indeed burned a black Fram ADBV (claimed to be silicone via emails with Fram) and concluded it was nitrile.

Anyone can perform this test on any ADBV they want to ... all you need is a match or lighter. Clean the rubber with some IPA before burning, and do it outside.

Last edited:
Not sure why people would think black is anything other than nitrile. Generally silicone is orange or some other custom color to make it obvious "THIS IS NOT YOUR TYPICAL NYTRILE RUBBER" No reason to make it black and make it indistinguishable between it and a cheaper material.
Because some filter makers claim that their black ADBV is silicone. Is it really ??

Did the ADBV you burned come from a company that claimed it was black silicone? if so which filter was it?
No. But it's obviously nitrile. Fram and Toyota Denso filters (and maybe other filter makers) have claimed thier black ADBV is silicone. Someone needs to burn a black Toyota filter ADBV to verify. Fram black "silicone" ADBVs have been shown by a few others here to burn like nitrile.

I'm simply showing how to tell the difference between silicone and nitrile rubber by burning it. It's very obvious how they burn differently.

Last edited:
Whip City Wrencher on YouTube doing a burn test on claimed DENSO "black silicone" ADBV.

I saw this where you sent these filters in.. I think it was last week or something..
I've never sent any filters to Whip City Wrencher. I watch and like some of his videos which are pretty informative, and just happened to come across his ADBV burn test video. Thanks for the shout out WCW in the video if you see this post.

I'm still waiting for someone to actually find a black silicone ADBV. 😄

He mentions that Rock Auto says it has silicone..... What does the actual box say that the filter was in....I would think it would be on the box....a selling point....not on the box...i say not silicone...

Another "black silicone" adbv myth busted. In this case it's the Denso FTF made in China, which after contacting Denso reps some members believed the black adbv to be silicone. I wasn't among those that accepted the Denso rep(s) claim and took some heat for it, which is fine. I said a 'proven' black adbv made of silicone on this subforum would be the first I've seen.

The information on the Denso site there from when the Denso FTF used a real orange silicone adbv, before production moved to China. Member Hootbro (iirc) pointed out early on too, that the silicone adbv spec had been removed from the box, and he correctly stated it was now nitrile. However later, some stated they contacted Denso, and similar to Fram reps more recently, they at least implied if not stated it was "black silicone." Said something like, silicone 'can be' black too.

The Denso adbv finding again follows Occam's Razor, basically the simplest/most obvious answer is generally correct.

As for the recent "not on the box,...not silicone" statement, recent First Brands Fram orange can and TG prove that even when on the box, a black adbv is still nitrile. ;)

The search for the first black silicone (unicorn) adbv continues.

You certainly can have a black silicone elastomer, I made them myself many times. But it is not typical unless the objective is a conductive polymer.

Back