Supertech MP3614

They are showing the ACDelco Ultraguard (what they call a "Premium"/"Specialty") filter in that link ... so who knows if the same ADBV material is used in all ACDelco oil filters. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah - they call the base model Premium - but I’m running the gold … (UPF)
Will be cutting both types in a couple months and will post …

Why buy a 20,000 mile filter for 5,000 mile oil change intervals?
Because I like the construction of it. I have seen first hand what a hard brittle ADBV looks and feels like. I figure it has to effect flow into the filter like that not just the holding power if oil back out. The Supertech being a 20k filter doesn't make it premium in my opinion, it just makes it a better filter. And for around $5, why not. I'd never change an Amsoil filter at 5k. I like to use good products and change often. I balance that with the affordability of those products. I'm getting ready to change the wife's Escape 2.0 ecoboost and I got 6 qts of Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w30 for it. I had a gift card to AAP and got this oil free. It will go in with a Fram EG PH3614. It's rated for 10k mile and has a silicone ADBV. They are my go too filter. Built well and $3.88 at WM. I'll still change it around 3k miles. Truth be told I don't really even go by mileage. It's always around 3k give or take but I change it every 100 engine hours. I come from a diesel backround and that's just how I was taught and what I've practiced. I usually works out the same but summer travel could see 4-5K miles in 100 hours while winter warm ups and idling while waiting could see 3k so it varies. My diesels go 250 hours on oil before changes. My outdoor power equipment sees 50 hours. My well abused side x side might get it at 25 hours -50 hours depending on how dusty it was while riding or if it went through water. Sorry for the long answer but maintaining equipment is my happy place an I ramble.

Just went to Wally to get my stock for the next changes on the two Supertech vehicles. I was able to find the 10K 3414 filter and it's actually $3 less than the 20K so bought it instead b/c they were out of the 20K. Same price as the Motorcraft/OE one.

Just went to Wally to get my stock for the next changes on the two Supertech vehicles. I was able to find the 10K 3414 filter and it's actually $3 less than the 20K so bought it instead b/c they were out of the 20K. Same price as the Motorcraft/OE one.
Which is why I have my sig hidden...

Does the ST/MP 3614 have fiber or metal endcaps?
I am looking for something to replace the PH3600 size I have been using on my Scion's, but don't think I have seen a ST/MP 3600

...Does the ST/MP 3614 have fiber or metal endcaps?.....
Unless something has changed 'very' recently, ST3614 uses older ecore style. That is, polyester endcaps and a nitrile combo valve.

Otoh, MP3614 newer style Champ made ecore, metal endcaps, separate dome bypass, and silicone adbv. If you want to make sure of silicone adbv, look for original blue or orange color adbv.

Unless something has changed 'very' recently, ST3614 uses older ecore style. That is, polyester endcaps and a nitrile combo valve.

Otoh, MP3614 newer style Champ made ecore, metal endcaps, separate dome bypass, and silicone adbv. If you want to make sure of silicone adbv, look for original blue or orange color adbv.
I just bought an st3614 and it had a dome bypass instead of the combo valve

I am looking for something to replace the PH3600 size I have been using on my Scion's, but don't think I have seen a ST/MP 3600
20230313_184048.jpg
20230313_184051.jpg

How do you hide your sig?

Because I like the construction of it. I have seen first hand what a hard brittle ADBV looks and feels like. I figure it has to effect flow into the filter like that not just the holding power if oil back out. The Supertech being a 20k filter doesn't make it premium in my opinion, it just makes it a better filter. And for around $5, why not. I'd never change an Amsoil filter at 5k. I like to use good products and change often. I balance that with the affordability of those products. I'm getting ready to change the wife's Escape 2.0 ecoboost and I got 6 qts of Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w30 for it. I had a gift card to AAP and got this oil free. It will go in with a Fram EG PH3614. It's rated for 10k mile and has a silicone ADBV. They are my go too filter. Built well and $3.88 at WM. I'll still change it around 3k miles. Truth be told I don't really even go by mileage. It's always around 3k give or take but I change it every 100 engine hours. I come from a diesel backround and that's just how I was taught and what I've practiced. I usually works out the same but summer travel could see 4-5K miles in 100 hours while winter warm ups and idling while waiting could see 3k so it varies. My diesels go 250 hours on oil before changes. My outdoor power equipment sees 50 hours. My well abused side x side might get it at 25 hours -50 hours depending on how dusty it was while riding or if it went through water. Sorry for the long answer but maintaining equipment is my happy place an I ramble.
Correction, I went to pick it up and they were out of stock even though their system showed that they had it. I picked up a 5 qt jug and a single qt of Castrol Edge High Mileage 5w30 instead. I sent a sample out Friday. I thought it would be fun to sample the same batch before and after use. I’ll send it out when I drain as well. It seems to be a thick 5w so that’s probably good for the ecoboost.

Hmm, OK, I have a TG3600 and a Bosch D+ 3422 left in my stash, so another 8 or so months till I need one, but will take a look at them next time I am at Walmart.
I may get a ST3614 if it is a dome end bypass (I don't like combo valves), otherwise, I will just get a PH3600.
I have no need for an MP filter, a Fram for When I use a 3600 size filter I can just pour in 5 qts instead of 4.5 qts; it does overfill the 2AZFE motor a touch, but not enough to be an issue and they both use oil in the 5,000 mile interval (both usually need a qt around 3500 miles).

Got a pic you can post? Simple shot of baseplate, down outlet hole will/should show dome bypass. Also shot of date code? I ask because afaik it would be the first such ST3614 with separate bypass seen this subforum. Would have to be a relatively recent change. Linked is a yt of what has been seen to this point of ST vs MP3614 construction, and basis for 'my' previous reply. @TiGeo pics also seems to show what has been seen of ST3614, with older ecore baseplate. Not newer Champ MP baseplate, those using metal caps and separate dome bypass.

Last edited:
Got a pic you can post? Simple shot of baseplate, down outlet hole will/should show dome bypass. Also shot of date code? I ask because afaik it would be the first such ST3614 with separate bypass seen this subforum. Would have to be a relatively change. Linked is a yt of what has been seen to this point of ST vs MP3614 construction, and basis for 'my' previous reply. @TiGeo pics also seems to show what has been seen of ST3614, with older ecore baseplate. Not newer Champ MP baseplate, those using metal caps and separate dome bypass.

Ok...a filter n00b here...so is the one I have good or bad? hahahaha. This is a 5K at most OCI filter in a '13 Ford Focus driven by a 20 year old to/from college...I would think any ol' filter would be fine in this use (and that's why I use ST oil as well).

Ok...a filter n00b here...so is the one I have good or bad? hahahaha. This is a 5K at most OCI filter......
I hesitate to use the term "good" or "bad" as a simple answer. The one you have looks to be the older type ecore which uses the polyester endcaps and a nitrile combo valve. "Combo valve" being a nitrile adbv that also serves as the filter bypass. Not a separate dome bypass as seen in MP3614 filter. Imo, that makes the MP series the superior design filter with separate coil spring dome bypass.

That said, for a ~5k mi oci, the ST likely ok. But 'for me', if sticking with Super Tech, I'd pay the extra ~$2.50 for MP3614. Especially for separate dome bypass difference, but also silicone adbv and metal caps. And seeing as it's for vehicle use, not OPE use.

Hmm, OK, I have a TG3600 and a Bosch D+ 3422 left in my stash, so another 8 or so months till I need one, but will take a look at them next time I am at Walmart.
I may get a ST3614 if it is a dome end bypass (I don't like combo valves), otherwise, I will just get a PH3600.
I have no need for an MP filter, a Fram for When I use a 3600 size filter I can just pour in 5 qts instead of 4.5 qts; it does overfill the 2AZFE motor a touch, but not enough to be an issue and they both use oil in the 5,000 mile interval (both usually need a qt around 3500 miles).
The ST3614 is a combo valve. The MP3614 is a separate bypass. I checked in store. Not saying the 3600 filter is the same but my Walmarts stock is definitely a combo valve on the ST.

I hesitate to use the term "good" or "bad" as a simple answer. The one you have looks to be the older type ecore which uses the polyester endcaps and a nitrile combo valve. "Combo valve" being a nitrile adbv that also serves as the filter bypass. Not a separate dome bypass as seen in MP3614 filter. Imo, that makes the MP series the superior design filter with separate coil spring dome bypass.

That said, for a ~5k mi oci, the ST likely ok. But 'for me', if sticking with Super Tech, I'd pay the extra ~$2.50 for MP3614. Especially for separate dome bypass difference, but also silicone adbv and metal caps. And seeing as it's for vehicle use, not OPE use.
For sure the MP is the better filter for a few more bucks - just didn't have it this go around.

What about the Motorcraft filter for about the same price?
What model in Motorcraft? It would be better IMO since no combo valve, and is approx same efficiency as the ST. I'm not fond of the combo valve design either, lol.

Back