Silicone vs. Nitrile ADBV

Ever burn one? Burn different than nitrile?
Looking on the Celanese site - 347°F appears to be standard grade (matches AC Delco info) but they make some AEM going higher …
Seems high enough IMO - they come out mint …

For all reasons highlighted by ZeeOSix in post #19, silicone is superior to nitrile for adbv. Especially beneficial over longer/extended fcis.

As for ACDelco use/promotion of "AEM", while perhaps better than nitrile, it's still rubber. My 'speculation', it would burn same as nitrile.
Not much rubber in high temp oil/chemical resistant elastomers - lots of polymers and acrylics etc - kinda like a conventional and synthetic … whereas AEM has great low temperature performance as well …
“Rubber” has even become a phrase - like silicone rubber …

Last edited:
Being that nitrile rubber is so much stiffer, it's going to be harder for the oil to push out of the way during entry.

Then what happens is I start worrying about it the whole time the filter is on the car. Not worth it.
Nor is it worth this coming up over and over when nobody actually knows if it’s nitrile to start with - mine are not and they are not silicone - and they are not “so much stiffer” - not stiff at all …

Looking on the Celanese site - 347°F appears to be standard grade (matches AC Delco info) but they make some AEM going higher …
Seems high enough IMO - they come out mint …
I'm sure it's high temp resistant enough. My focus about burning one is to see if that can identify it from nitrile by the way it burns and smokes. Or does it burn basically the same as nitrile, and therefore can't be distinguished from nitrile by flame and smoke.

Being that nitrile rubber is so much stiffer, it's going to be harder for the oil to push out of the way during entry.
Not gonna stop no positive displacement oil pump, lol. And it will warm up soon enough as the oil heats up. It's more about the way it survives hot oil temps and long OCIs.

I'm sure it's high temp resistant enough. My focus about burning one is to see if that can identify it from nitrile by the way it burns and smokes. Or does it burn basically the same as nitrile, and therefore can't be distinguished from nitrile by flame and smoke.
👍 - understood that - and had seen WC reference you on YT - but seems that silicone is generally regarded as a high temperature upgrade in several fields. I do think in my case the application takes care of itself - I run AC Delco* for single OCI and Fram XG/FE if I plan to keep it on for 2 OCI’s … Kept an AEM some where - will look.
*got them for half the cost of FE
Also, when using HPL EC30 - I wanted a normal media to examine later for potential of CBU removal …

Not much rubber in high temp oil/chemical resistant elastomers - lots of polymers and acrylics etc - kinda like a conventional and synthetic … whereas AEM has great low temperature performance as well …
“Rubber” has even become a phrase - like silicone rubber …
AEM "rubber" quoted directly from posted ACDelco information. I allowed, it better than nitrile rubber. But then "speculated" as it's still "rubber" according to ACDelco it would burn similar to or same as nitrile rubber.

This much clear, AEM is not silicone, nor is it described as such by ACDelco in reference to AEM. Never heard of "silicone rubber" used as a manufacturer description or information about any ADBV, the topic of this thread. Beyond that no interest in further discussing the semantics of "AEM rubber".

Main point of my previous post first sentence on topic, silicone superior to nitrile for reason highlighted post #19.

AEM "rubber" quoted directly from posted ACDelco information. I allowed, it better than nitrile rubber. But then "speculated" as it's still "rubber" according to ACDelco it would burn similar to or same as nitrile rubber.

This much clear, AEM is not silicone, nor is it described as such by ACDelco in reference to AEM. Never heard of "silicone rubber" used as a manufacturer description or information about any ADBV, the topic of this thread. Beyond that no interest in further discussing the semantics of "AEM rubber".

Main point of my previous post first sentence on topic, silicone superior to nitrile for reason highlighted post #19.
The semantics are on Wiki …
Putting you on ignore … Not worth my time …

Back