Fram TG3614 CnP 8526miles over 2 years

This Fram TG3614 was on my 3mz Highlander for 24months and 8526miles with 3 oil change intervals.

Initially put on with SuperTech Synthetic High Mileage 5w30 and ran that for 10months and 4213miles.

Next was Pennzoil Synthetic High Mileage 5w30 for about a month but only ran for 630miles due to a very dusty offroad trip and a discovery that the WIX air filter that I installed let dust right thru (i blame the plastic 'seal' vs the AC delco Gold that has a soft seal thats replaced it and has been perfect since).

I immediately did a quick oil change with Napa 5w30 Synthetic and ran that for the last 4213miles.

There is one rust bubble under the coating. Silicone ADBV feels fantastic and pliable. Media looks great other then right at the crimp seam...there is a slight tear in the media at the base but does not appear to bypass the filter and I cannot get light to show thru...yet. I am currently wicking and will investigate further after xmas. I will add those photos to this thread.

Total Quartz Synthetic 5w30 and a Champ XL PH2835XL went on.
20231222_100657.jpg

20231222_100706.jpg

20231222_100715.jpg

20231222_101033.jpg

20231222_101044.jpg

20231222_101141.jpg

20231221_123433.jpg

This Fram TG3614 was on my 3mz Highlander for 24months and 8526miles with 3 oil change intervals.

Initially put on with SuperTech Synthetic High Mileage 5w30 and ran that for 10months and 4213miles.

Next was Pennzoil Synthetic High Mileage 5w30 for about a month but only ran for 630miles due to a very dusty offroad trip and a discovery that the WIX air filter that I installed let dust right thru (i blame the plastic 'seal' vs the AC delco Gold that has a soft seal thats replaced it and has been perfect since).

I immediately did a quick oil change with Napa 5w30 Synthetic and ran that for the last 4213miles.

There is one rust bubble under the coating. Silicone ADBV feels fantastic and pliable. Media looks great other then right at the crimp seam...there is a slight tear in the media at the base but does not appear to bypass the filter and I cannot get light to show thru...yet. I am currently wicking and will investigate further after xmas. I will add those photos to this thread.

View attachment 194281
View attachment 194282
View attachment 194283
View attachment 194284
View attachment 194285
View attachment 194286
View attachment 194287
That doesn't look good, at all. A cheap Champ, Premium Guard, or even Fram Extra Guard changed annually would be a better idea. That rust bubble was a massive leak waiting to happen, and is the main issue I've had with Ultras-no paint nor ANY protection under the Sure Grip! Are you in a saltwater area in MD? I didn't think there was much snow there (unless you're in the Cumberland, MD/panhandle area?).

I've currently got the TG3600 on my Highlander; I will take it through 2 or 3 oil changes and then cut it open. the 3600 has more pleats than the 3614, so it should look better after an extended OCI.
I wouldn't have an issue with a TG/XG3600 for an extended period in CA, but they dent, peel, & rust rapidly here in OH (& we don't have anywhere near the snow/salt we used to have).

Found alot of crud in the pleats. Does not appear to be carbon so likely its the dirt from the faulty Wix air filter. Some flecks of aluminum and steel (verified by magnet) kind of worrisome...but its only a few.

The tear did not go thru so nothing unfiltered got by.
20231227_101511.jpg

20231227_101518.jpg

20231227_101521.jpg

Always good to inspect what the filter caught & now you have this one to compare to the next filter to double check your unfiltered air dilemma. Let us know how the next filter compares. Great work!

View attachment 194281
View attachment 194282
View attachment 194283
View attachment 194284
View attachment 194285
View attachment 194286
View attachment 194287
Uhm, that is a failed oil filter right there. It’s rated for longer mileage than it was used for and it’s torn. I think the champ XL you replaced it with will probably be a better choice IMO.

Here's the TITANIUM FS7317 since MAY of '23 . There's rust on the bottom ( below ) and top . It's horizontal on the FIT . Keeping an eye on it . Hope to have it last until April . This is w/o the wire mesh .

IMG_2855.JPG

Here's the TITANIUM FS7317 since MAY of '23 . There's rust on the bottom ( below ) and top . It's horizontal on the FIT . Keeping an eye on it . Hope to have it last until April . This is w/o the wire mesh .
On your vehicles that have a more exposed filter location, have you ever looked at the filter after driving in some salty slushy roads to see if the filter is actually getting wet. The reason they rust has to be from salty roads. Anything else rusting on the underside or in the engine compartment of those vehicles? I've seen cars used in salt states that will have rusted parts inside the engine compartment, even if they aren't directly exposed.

Reactions: hrv
On your vehicles that have a more exposed filter location, have you ever looked at the filter after driving in some salty slushy roads to see if the filter is actually getting wet. The reason they rust has to be from salty roads. Anything else rusting on the underside or in the engine compartment of those vehicles? I've seen cars used in salt states that will have rusted parts inside the engine compartment, even if they aren't directly exposed.
Don’t run the filter that long if yiur in salt state .

Back