Silicone ADBV

I see BITOGer make it a point to purchase or recommend silicone ADBV over nitrile. Talking to a mechanic buddy of mine, mentioned that the concern is valid in specific operating temperatures and orientation of the filter.

Is this correct or is their more to the reasoning on these issue?

It is if your filter is sideways mounted and especially like on Subaru's where it's down screwing so dry starts are an issue if the oil leaks down. Mazda roki filters don't have ADBV's since they're top screwing.

An ADBV can help keep oil in the whole oiling system, regardless of the filter's orientation. Even ones mounted on the bottom of the engine with the base up have to keep all the oil in the galleries above the filter from leaking down due to gravity. In that orientation, the filter may not lose oil, but the oil galleries in the oiling system located above the filter still can drain down to some degree.

Silicone ADBV is typically used on filters meant to run longer than the average 3000-5000 mile OCI. It's not that you need it for "hotter running engines", but rather for normal engine oil temperatures for a longer time. Nitrile can get stiff from normal heat than silicone will.

It is if your filter is sideways mounted and especially like on Subaru's where it's down screwing so dry starts are an issue if the oil leaks down. Mazda roki filters don't have ADBV's since they're top screwing.
Some Toyota engines have the oil filter mounted atop the engine with the base plate down towards the engine. I would think a very good filter with a Silicone ADBV is very crucial here.

I was surprised to see that Fleetguard didn't have silicone ADBV's on their Nanonet and Stratapore media filters. As I noted to @NashNative, they have a cross for the FL-820S/XG2/EaO11 filter, which is very common on Ford and FCA/Stellantis products, but despite having the expensive upgraded media, doesn't have a silicone ADBV 🤷‍♂️

Back