Super Tech win

Status
Not open for further replies.
I check the oil level in my wife's Jeep WJ every time I wash it because it tends to use quite a bit; about a quart or so every 400-500 miles. This summer I haven't washed it much (no rain to muddy it up). So, the other day she asked if I've checked it lately.

Oops; no I haven't, so I go out to the garage and pull the dipstick. No oil showing.

I use Super Tech Full Synthetic, so I put two quarts in. Pull the dipstick out again and just the very tip has a drop of oil on it. Soooo I put in two MORE quarts and it's then almost to the FULL mark.

Now, the engine holds five quarts with a new filter (I always put a new filter in at every oil change). This means that engine was running on approximately ONE QUART of oil ....for who knows how long. This was about three weeks ago and the engine is still running fine.

This either means the Chrysler 4.7 SOHC V-8 is one tough engine, or the cheap Wal-mart synthetic motor oil is actually pretty good stuff, or both.

Yikes. You got lucky. I would do a UOA just to see how it looks. I imagine there were many instances where the engine was operating with no oil pressure (hard turns, braking).

Good thing you checked it when you did. I would be tempted to use ST conventional and see if that slows the consumption down a bit. Use 5w30 or thicker would be my guess. Since you're in CA maybe 10w30.

I believe right now Home Depot has Forumula Shell on sale for $9.88/5 qt jug. Perfect choice for it.

I wonder why the wife asked about it being checked lately? Maybe she saw an oil light or it made an odd noise.

Last edited:
...or that you lucked out. Certainly could have been worse, but if the engine wasn't getting taxed, it might have had JUST enough to keep some oil where it needed to go. Also, I could be wrong, but I believe that engine has a 6 quart capacity.

The BIG question here is.. how on earth did it end up 4 quarts low?? Does it have a huge leak or is something else going on?

For crucial car maintenance I key things to the odometer, or to the calendar. I'd see if you can't go a little high when you top off, and take it every 1000 miles (will it hit the low mark by then?)--or maybe just every 500 miles, or perhaps check it at the start of every month.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SirTanon
Also, I could be wrong, but I believe that engine has a 6 quart capacity.
You're right, 6 quarts, so it had 2 quarts in the filter and sump combined, probably just enough to reach the oil pickup screen deep in the sump. .... I assume nobody saw an oil pressure light come on? Or maybe just never noticed?

With so little oil, it probably overheated and oxidized a lot. Good thing there was a full synthetic oil in there anyway to keep it to a minimum.

That much oil consumption, and in mild climate CA, why not just start using a conventional 10w40 HM oil, any brand, SuperTech maybe, to try to get consumption down?

Last edited:
My aunt had the notorious 3L Mitsu engine in her Caravan and it burned a lot of oil. She always waited until the lifters got really noisy to add oil. This usually meant it was 3 or 4 quarts low out of 5 quarts. She drove it for a long time like that. I don't advocate for this but to give you an idea.

Also you are a member of BITOG and don't check your oil regularly?
crazy2.gif

My Jeep WJ 4.7 hated Synthetic oil. It would burn a quart every 1500 miles. Now I am running Maxlife 10w30 Blend and I might add 1/2 a quart every 2500 miles.

I would not be using synthetic in a user like that. You should go to Home Depot and buy about 10 five quart jugs of Formula Shell for $9.99 each right now. Perfect oil for oil guzzlers like yours and it probably protects the same as a conventional, than Super Tech synthetic..

5 Quarts? The 4.7 calls for 6quarts when changed.

That and you can use a longer filter, FL1a for example. I run the long filter and 6 quarts in my 4.7 Dodge and its just a touch below the full mark.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
5 Quarts? The 4.7 calls for 6quarts when changed.

That and you can use a longer filter, FL1a for example. I run the long filter and 6 quarts in my 4.7 Dodge and its just a touch below the full mark.

+1 i thought the 4.7s called for six quarts

Originally Posted by code5coupe
I check the oil level in my wife's Jeep WJ every time I wash it because it tends to use quite a bit; about a quart or so every 400-500 miles. This summer I haven't washed it much (no rain to muddy it up). So, the other day she asked if I've checked it lately.

Oops; no I haven't, so I go out to the garage and pull the dipstick. No oil showing.

I use Super Tech Full Synthetic, so I put two quarts in. Pull the dipstick out again and just the very tip has a drop of oil on it. Soooo I put in two MORE quarts and it's then almost to the FULL mark.

Now, the engine holds five quarts with a new filter (I always put a new filter in at every oil change). This means that engine was running on approximately ONE QUART of oil ....for who knows how long. This was about three weeks ago and the engine is still running fine.

This either means the Chrysler 4.7 SOHC V-8 is one tough engine, or the cheap Wal-mart synthetic motor oil is actually pretty good stuff, or both.

Just as long as there is enough oil to keep the oil sump pick up covered most likely all will be fine.

If she had to drive up any kind of steep hill you would have found out earlier. Luck and good fortune was on your side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back