Super Tech Oil Sludge???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Super Tech full synthetic oil for several years. My van holds about 5 1/2 quarts so I but a jug and an extra quart. My son was over the other day and his car was about 1/2 quart low so I went to add an 1/2 quart I had in the garage.
I started to pour it into his engine and the bottom of the quart had this thick sluge in the bottom ....like maybe the oil separated??? Has anyone seen this ? Who manufactures the Super Tech for wall mart....I want to send this to them to see what they say happened.

P4130770.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
IMO...What you see is most likely the add pack. It happens to all oils....synthetic and Dino, after sitting and for awhile. I usually shake the quart bottles upside down a few days in advance of an OCI. This helps to get the add pack, that settles on the bottom of the containers, mixed back into the oil.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
You are in Ohio so yours might be XOM. Just look at the stamp of the bottom of the bottom. Is it WPP?

It's WPP.

The oil wasn't sitting that long.....maybe a few months.

I've used ten year old oil from my shelf and have never had anything like that. Actually, I used SL rated Supertech (the PZ/QS version!) last year and poured without shaking and there was nothing of the sort.

That looks like some kind of defect.

it seems to be something that pops up regularly and most say its not a big deal. just shake up the quarts before using. I have had oil sitting in my shed for years and personally have never seen anything like add pack fallout. In fact i just used some QS torque power that i bought in alabama 3 years ago because it was on clearance. bottles are clear and the oil looked perfect. I guess i have been lucky for now.

FYI, I've seen the exact thing near the bottom of some Super-Tech synthetic oil. It was mostly a lighter colored liquid separated near the bottom. Though I saw it, I didn't give it much worry. I swished it around to mix it in & realize once in the engine it will be mixed up plenty well.

I have used Mobile 1 a few times & can't remember seeing anything similar. If you wanted to check it out further I think you could ask the question from a Super-Tech representative(if one exists) without sending it in. I'm sure they would know what your talking about.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
You are in Ohio so yours might be XOM. Just look at the stamp of the bottom of the bottom. Is it WPP?

It's WPP.....Does anyone know how do I contact them?

Had this with a quart of ST 5W-30 last year, if it separates in the bottle, I figure it is going to do the same thing inside an engine, and I do not want that inside any of my engines, even my ope. Since I have never seen this happen before, it is likely the oil. I have some bottles of Amsoil right beside the ST, they have not separated, then again, I am sure Amsoil is a better quality product.

Wow, I used just last year in my mower M1 10W30 API SE, and it was still exactly the same as any other oil I used. No seperation like that.

Originally Posted By: troyb43
Had this with a quart of ST 5W-30 last year, if it separates in the bottle, I figure it is going to do the same thing inside an engine, and I do not want that inside any of my engines, even my ope. Since I have never seen this happen before, it is likely the oil. I have some bottles of Amsoil right beside the ST, they have not separated, then again, I am sure Amsoil is a better quality product.

If it is due to condensation, after the oil runs for a little bit and the moisture evaporate off, it would be homogeneous again.

I got an answer back this mornining from Warren this is what they said:

This is additive dropout and we have seen this in formulations that were packaged last year. We reformulated in October of 2010 so this should be product packaged prior to that date. The additive company that supplies the additive for this product has done studies and found no adverse effects on the performance. I realize is doesn’t look very good but when heated the heavy material you see in the bottle would go into solution. Additives are a very heavy material. When we make the product we heat both the base oil and the additives and mix then together. The formulations we were making prior to October of 2010 used more additive than we are using today and the use of more additive led to the drop out that you are seeing. I’m sorry you experienced the unsightly look of our early formulation and we have made the changes necessary so that this would not happen in the future. Please let us know if we can be of further service.

Warren Distribution

Originally Posted By: troyb43
On another note, it looks almost like wax, and I figure the oil has paraffin in it

Do you even know what paraffin means?

Originally Posted By: fins
I got an answer back this mornining from Warren this is what they said:

This is additive dropout and we have seen this in formulations that were packaged last year. We reformulated in October of 2010 so this should be product packaged prior to that date. The additive company that supplies the additive for this product has done studies and found no adverse effects on the performance. I realize is doesn’t look very good but when heated the heavy material you see in the bottle would go into solution. Additives are a very heavy material. When we make the product we heat both the base oil and the additives and mix then together. The formulations we were making prior to October of 2010 used more additive than we are using today and the use of more additive led to the drop out that you are seeing. I’m sorry you experienced the unsightly look of our early formulation and we have made the changes necessary so that this would not happen in the future. Please let us know if we can be of further service.

Warren Distribution

I had figured it was just VII falling out of suspension, and based on their response, that sounds exactly like what it was. I like that they're using less VII now.

does anyone have a map of the usa broken up into areas of what company supplies oil as walmart's supertech brand?

Last edited:
Not feeling good about this. If they admit the fallout is additives then what's in the car right now is also oil with reduced additive. And when you start the car in a cold morning you may also have less additive circulating. If other oils don't have this problem then they also shouldn't have this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back