Super Tech Oil Sludge???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
So WPP basically admitted to using a "weaker" additive version now, while the price is going up for ST? I will surely pass now.

They said nothing of using a weaker additive now. they state that they had too much of "additive".

Last edited:
As a side note, and only very tangentially related, I saw something similar in the "house brand" bottled water from target a few years ago. Bought 2 cases to take camping about 2 months before the trip when they had it on sale.

Got to the resort, tossed the water in the cooler and thought nothing of it, until someone opened a bottle that was setting out next to the cooler and went to pour it into a cup full of ice. Coagulated water!?! I don't even want to know what was in that "water". Thank God none of us had drank any of it at that point. Opened a few other bottles at random and found several more like it. Pouring it out reminded me of a slightly thinner version of that clear CD-2 engine additive for oil burners.

I don't use ST, but kudos to the blender for responding, providing a plausible technical explanation and apologizing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RegDunlop
I have heard of this happening to Pennzoil too, but in the engine.

Pardon me but I call bull shirt!

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa

Exactly you heard and have no proof of this.

Yes no proof. I also have no proof ST oil sludges, except what i read here.

I always heard not to use Pennzoil because it would sludge up an engine. So i dont use it.

And after reading this thread i probably will not use ST oil either

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Are you calling me a liar?

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Are you calling me a liar?

No, he's calling you ill-informed.

Originally Posted By: fins
I have been using Super Tech full synthetic oil for several years. My van holds about 5 1/2 quarts so I but a jug and an extra quart. My son was over the other day and his car was about 1/2 quart low so I went to add an 1/2 quart I had in the garage.
I started to pour it into his engine and the bottom of the quart had this thick sluge in the bottom ....like maybe the oil separated??? Has anyone seen this ? Who manufactures the Super Tech for wall mart....I want to send this to them to see what they say happened.

P4130770.jpg
[/img]

That stuff is garbage. It's probably wax and other junk they were trying to get rid of at the blender and over did it.

Use a speck of it and boil off the hydrocarbons and see if you have additive materials left over. You could even tell by the odor what it is most likely.

At any rate, that oil is cut-rate garbage.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
Originally Posted By: fins
I have been using Super Tech full synthetic oil for several years. My van holds about 5 1/2 quarts so I but a jug and an extra quart. My son was over the other day and his car was about 1/2 quart low so I went to add an 1/2 quart I had in the garage.
I started to pour it into his engine and the bottom of the quart had this thick sluge in the bottom ....like maybe the oil separated??? Has anyone seen this ? Who manufactures the Super Tech for wall mart....I want to send this to them to see what they say happened.

P4130770.jpg
[/img]

That stuff is garbage. It's probably wax and other junk they were trying to get rid of at the blender and over did it.

Use a speck of it and boil off the hydrocarbons and see if you have additive materials left over. You could even tell by the odor what it is most likely.

At any rate, that oil is cut-rate garbage.

You're going to make some ST fans angry...

I've seen random posts about this same situation (with different brands) and most people seem to say its just the add pack sitting at the bottom.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
no red line oil drop out here.been using red line more than 15 years!!

My bottles had some of it on the bottoms. I just made sure to shake them up first. They'd been sitting for a while.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

My bottles had some of it on the bottoms. I just made sure to shake them up first. They'd been sitting for a while.

You can shake them up, but it still settles again. I have a bottle of ST 5W-30 synthetic just like it. Does it really cause any issues? I don't know for sure. However, certainly something I would not want in my engines any longer.

Same here, never seen it in Redline.

And would never pour unknown goo into a $40K racing engine or a $5K used car.

Some racing fuels will precipitate additives when exposed to sunlight. It wont go back into solution and the fuel is waste. I would consider it the same for oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back