Suggestion Oil use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

My 1999 3.2 Rodeo with 132K miles had bad oil consumption and ticking problem, I have use Rotella 15w40 in the summer. My last oil change a month ago use Rotella 5w-40 instead for winter "MN" very cold. My question is what is the ideal oil should I use to try to help with the problems I have. Your suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Simple thing to do would be to get the car fully tuned, assure that all plumbing is correct, then run a full double AutoRx treatment with the required viscosity. If you don't have external leaks and this doesn't solve the problem, you probably have some mechanical (wear) issue that needs real rework, or perhaps may be band-aided by a too thick oil.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Simple thing to do would be to get the car fully tuned, assure that all plumbing is correct, then run a full double AutoRx treatment with the required viscosity. If you don't have external leaks and this doesn't solve the problem, you probably have some mechanical (wear) issue that needs real rework, or perhaps may be band-aided by a too thick oil.

I keep my SUV fully tuned and there is no external leak. I keep my an eyes like a hawk on my oil. I seem to me that every one suggested AutoRX. I read a lot good testimony about this product. I will give it try when the temperature going up close 30F. Do I need to do a double AutoRX treatment? It is kind of expensive product. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: klvaleri
Hi Guys,

My 1999 3.2 Rodeo with 132K miles had bad oil consumption and ticking problem, I have use Rotella 15w40 in the summer. My last oil change a month ago use Rotella 5w-40 instead for winter "MN" very cold. My question is what is the ideal oil should I use to try to help with the problems I have. Your suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I would use Amsoil ASL 5W-30 oil. But before you do, you need to address the oil consumption issue. Others have suggested Auto-RX, which I have no experience with, but its sure cheaper than taking the engine apart. If you do go with the Auto-RX, then you should use a conventional oil during the treatment phase.

Originally Posted By: XPR
Hi Guys,

I would use Amsoil ASL 5W-30 oil. But before you do, you need to address the oil consumption issue. Others have suggested Auto-RX, which I have no experience with, but its sure cheaper than taking the engine apart. If you do go with the Auto-RX, then you should use a conventional oil during the treatment phase.

It burn about 500 to 1K miles per quart if I ma lucky. I like Amsoil, I used it in my other car. It is expensive, how should I keep it in for interval. Call me stupip but what's conventional oil? you meant regular oil "any cheap one". Thanks

Keep the oil topped up to the full mark on your dipstick. Check it about every 250 miles to see how the level is doing. You could experiment with different oils to see if one brand burned off less. The high mileage oils claim to reduce burn off try one of those,maybe. Just my .02.

Try 10W-30 HDEO diesel oil with a 16 oz bottle of MMO. It may not curb your consumption alot, but it should quiet down that engine. I wouldn't put $7.50 per quart Amsoil in a vehicle that consumes a quart every 750 miles or-so. If your auto parts stores around you don't carry HDEO 10w-30, ask them if they can order it.

IMHO Isuzu gasoline engine designs (esp. V6 on older SUV such as Rodeo, etc.) suffered from oil burning issues(and thats a fact) due to relatively poor oil control ring/piston design. As such, oil consumption due to burning is inevitable.

While you may resort to trying AutoRx to cleanse the ring pack and the oil control ring area (2 treatments maybe required), don't be surprised if, at the end of this, you still getting minor oil burning issues.

My 2c's worth.

Q.

Originally Posted By: XPR
Hi Guys,

It burn about 500 to 1K miles per quart if I ma lucky. I like Amsoil, I used it in my other car. It is expensive, how should I keep it in for interval. Call me stupip but what's conventional oil? you meant regular oil "any cheap one". Thanks

Conventional oil means non-synthetic. Like Mobil Clean 5000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back