Ok to use fleet oil in all my vehicles?

The reason why I settled on a synthetic diesel oil is based on what I have seen on this forum. I am under the impression that a diesel oil has a 'better' additive package. I see that many people run a diesel oil in gasoline vehicles, have there been any documented oil related failures in these engines?

The reason why I settled on a synthetic diesel oil is based on what I have seen on this forum. I am under the impression that a diesel oil has a 'better' additive package. I see that many people run a diesel oil in gasoline vehicles, have there been any documented oil related failures in these engines?
No failures that I’ve heard of. If a HDEO is MA-2 approved or suitable for use, then the oil has at least an API SH approval, unless there’s Diesel motorcycles we don’t know about.
Delvac 1300 10w30 and 15w40 both pass API CK-4/SP plus a bunch of manufacturers’ approvals. Buy a pail of each and you’re good to go.

I think your logic is essentially correct, but perhaps misapplied. For example, a diesel oil's add pack will be stout and surely give you better soot control, but if your engine isn't producing great amounts of soot, who cares? What are you giving up to get that soot control? It is this reason that I've chosen a Euro oil for my fleet. It is more meaningful to me that my Euro choice is approved for both Mercedes-Benz 229.52 and Porsche C30.

Other diesel oils may have "better" additive packages, but how would I know what that means in my applications? I'd rather trust the engineers to determine which additives are best able to meet the sophisticated specs mentioned above.

Back