Oil changes due on heavily modded DI LT4 and my old school GM 350. Opinions?

Just as the title says. I made a post awhile back about oil weights/options for a modded LT4. Finally about to get around to a change this weekend. Been too busy with work, the car hasn’t been driven.

It’s a heads/cam/Whipple LT4. Stock bottom end. Currently running the Mobil 1 0w40 ESP but with the mods and emissions removed, I’m not sticking with that considering I’m running E85 and it gets changed every 1500-2k miles or so.

Main 3 options I’ve essentially narrowed it down to considering simplicity and accessibility are…
-Mobil 1 0w40 euro (3.6 HTHS)
-Mobil 1 15/50 (5.2 HTHS)
-Rotella T6 5w40 (4.0 HTHS)

I’m sure there are other good options. These are just easy to get at the local Walmart and for such short intervals, I assume any of them would work well. Any reason I should choose one over the other? I live in Houston, TX so we don’t see crazy low temps.

My other car is a 64 Impala with an old school 350. It’s got a little work done to it as well but nothing too crazy. Still a relatively lower power motor that looks and sounds good.

What would you guys recommend for an old school 350?

Roller Cam or Flat Tappet Cam on old school 350?
99% sure it’s roller. Motor was in the car when I got it. I know it’s got a small cam and some other minor parts from when it was built. I think the previous owner ran 10w40. Just wanted to run it by some people who know before I change it for the first time.

Attachments

• 419B7AB5-2369-4A89-A6D5-B8A00EE2FC33.jpeg
    419B7AB5-2369-4A89-A6D5-B8A00EE2FC33.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 26
Being that this is a 64 Impala that you will probably be driving conservatively, probably the Mobil 1 0W-40 or the Rotella T6 5W-40 would be fine.
Oh yeah, it’s just a cruiser. I don’t dog on the Impala. I mean I’ll get on it a little but it doesn’t see much abuse.

I'd run M1 FS 0W-40 in both of them (Euro). The LSx engine are pretty tough and they've got a crank driven oil pump, just like the big HEMI's and the Hellcat and Demon can get away with a 0W-40, and since you've got stock clearances in the bottom end, I'd expect it should be a pretty decent fit.
I figured you’d chime in. You were helping me on my last post. Thanks again btw!

And ok. I figured the 0w40 being the factory recommended viscosity would be the move. Perhaps I got too caught up in comparing the HTHS on each oil thinking maybe something a little more resilient might be the way to go but I’m sure there are a lot of other factors to consider when comparing the options.

@Neversatisfied02 if your OCI is 1.5 - 2K miles why not find an inexpensive HDEO? I'd consider F&F 5W40 or Mobil Delvac 5W40 if it were me...

or

Just my $0.02

@Neversatisfied02 if your OCI is 1.5 - 2K miles why not find an inexpensive HDEO? I'd consider F&F 5W40 or Mobil Delvac 5W40 if it were me...

or

Just my $0.02
That delvac would prob be just as easy for me to source locally. I’m not good with having too many options. lol

I guess it comes down to the Mobil 1 euro 0w40 which I know would be fine since that’s recommended viscosity. The Rotella T6 5w40 is a bit heavier which in my mind could mean a little added protection (unless I’m wrong in thinking so). The Delvac 5w40 would be great as well and prob equivalent to the Rotella or better (idk without comparing specs side by side). Only reason I considered the 15w50 mobil 1 is because it’s recommended for track use, I’m always good about allowing the car to warm up first and it might be the best in handling the abuse in comparison.

But… truth be told, I’m fairly new to all this oil research stuff. I’m just trying to make sure I run a good quality oil that does the best job of protecting and preserving the motors long term.

My other car is a 64 Impala with an old school 350. It’s got a little work done to it as well but nothing too crazy. Still a relatively lower power motor that looks and sounds good.

What would you guys recommend for an old school 350?
I guess the engine in your Impala was swapped at some point? My pop had a 64 Impala convertible when I was a kid. I think the V-8 choices for that year were the 327 and 409.

I guess the engine in your Impala was swapped at some point? My pop had a 64 Impala convertible when I was a kid. I think the V-8 choices for that year were the 327 and 409.
Yes, the original 327 was pulled and it’s got a newer dressed up 350/350 combo in it.

Back