Stuff to do in Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in Houston for the next two weeks straight (for work). I will have some downtime in the evenings and maybe for a bit on the weekend to check out the city.

Can anyone recommend anything to do? Definitely interested in any place that serves good regional microbrews. Not really interested in going over to Galveston for the beach, but would consider trekking over to Austin if time allows, though I feel like I need to devote a few days to that city.

Are there any tours or events at the Johnson Space Center? The Kennedy Space Center had a ton of stuff when I was down there.

Why not Galveston?
21.gif

I like the food at The Spot and Benno's on the Seawall.

Back in Houston, the Red Lion Pub has a lot of interesting brews on tap. Pretty good Indian style food...little pricey. You have to go a little off the Katy Freeway to get there. (I-10/Katy Freeway is a mess, but if you're going to Austin...
21.gif
)

Johnson Space Center?

Sadly, it has become geared for young children. Little space rides and such. In this age of over the top security, you would not be able to see much there.

St Arnold Brewing Company....but it's near that mess where I-45 meets I-10. If you are downtown, might be worth it to take a cab.

Too many good BBQ joints to list. Even one place that sells Carolina style pulled pork.

Hope you don't mind humidity. Seems like this time of year it will be warm at night, it'll rain mid-morning, and then it is 95°/99% humidity the rest of the day. It's hotter in Austin or Dallas/FtWorth but only about 30-40% humidity.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
St Arnold Brewing Company....but it's near that mess where I-45 meets I-10. If you are downtown, might be worth it to take a cab.

Too many good BBQ joints to list. Even one place that sells Carolina style pulled pork.

Hope you don't mind humidity. Seems like this time of year it will be warm at night, it'll rain mid-morning, and then it is 95°/99% humidity the rest of the day. It's hotter in Austin or Dallas/FtWorth but only about 30-40% humidity.

So what are the top-tier BBQ spots, in your opinion?

New Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ

It's a little shack of a place with odd hours, and it's way up I-45 in Huntsville, but it's good.

Gaitlins is pretty good.

Pappa's BBQ is everywhere and it's not all bad for a BBQ chain restaurant

There was another near Friendswood. Kellers? might have been Pearland.

Mucky Ducky is an english pub with local music.

Ragin Cajun Restaurant.

Willie G's and B Goode's for seafood

Yeah go down to League city and check out JSC.

I actually like to stat at the lakefront Hilton down there when Im in town... But Houston has such horrid sprawl and traffic (more lanes on those roads than anywhere else) that it may not be a good place to stay.

You might take a drive out to the hill country, or Austin or San Antonio. All are doable with a couple hours in the car, and have good nightlife so could notionally be a late night outing.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
According to a guy I used to work with all there is to do in "Hue-ton" is "liv da thug lifestyle".

Somehow I doubt the country's 4th biggest city is really like that.

The same guy, "Mush Mouth", couldn't stop "livin' da thug lifestyle" and got kicked out of the Air Force.

Interesting that you ask about Houston, and the answers are essentially "go to another city nearby".

My faves,Kemah and Galveston!!!!! (which is right down the road). Houston is a beautiful city.

Originally Posted By: Burt

Willie G's and B Goode's for seafood

(I assume you mean Goode Co. for seafood, (as well as BBQ)). I endorse both. The locations along I-10 are fancier than the ones at Kirby/Westpark, which may or may not suit your fancy. For a very nice meal, but relatively inexpensive by big-city-nice-meal standards, check out Churrascos.

Yes, the Johnson Space Center has tours. If you visit the Galleria, go a block to the south and check out the Water Wall. Memorial Park is a good place to go jog/watch. If you want to see local "alternative lifestyle", drive around the Montrose and Westheimer region. Baba Yega is a nice eatery in this region, for people of all preferences.

If you are into circle track racing there is Battleground Dirt Track and this Local NASCAR Asphalt. I will be at one or the other, but probably the dirt track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back