STP Oil Filters = Engine Failure??

My coworker is an ex Nissan tech and he told me a story about how a lot of Nissan's had to get their engines replaced after using an STP oil filter.

He told me that something about the baffling inside the filter(?) would starve the Nissan engines of oil and cause them to fail.

Of course I am skeptical because I used STP filters on my Honda for years with no problems.

I have attached a picture of an STP S6607 next to one of my OEM Nissan filters and the holes on the bottom of the STP are indeed considerably smaller than the Nissan filter. Now I am wondering if perhaps there was some truth in his story.

If I were to run the STP filter on my Pathfinder would it cause any problems or am I worrying about nothing?

Attachments

• IMG_20211225_192431471.jpg
    IMG_20211225_192431471.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 277
Here's a C&P thread of an STP S6607:

And a Nissan OEM C&P:

Here's a C&P thread of an STP S6607:
That STP has louvers in the center tube. It's possible the ones the tech is talking about had closed louvers which would cause the filter to bypass alot of oil and maybe cause the oil pump to hit pressure relief, and if the bypass valve opening was too small it might reduce some oil flow. That's why I always insoect louvers if the filter has them.

Last edited:
Personally I don't use STP anything. But their filters are most likely fine for your car. But better filters can be bought for a few dollars more. Back in the 1960s and 1970 every young guy with a car he thought was hot had an STP sticker.

STP filters are just jobber Champ e-cores so I seriously doubt it. I don't see how a filter design could starve an engine of oil, it would have to create a massive restriction with no bypass valve and at that point the filter would explode.
I think they may have changed those to a Chinese Premium Guard design, I have a couple STP XL filters around, they're definitely not Champ made.

Agreeing with a previous poster but more so, I seriously doubt it. The AZ STP brand OF has gone through at least a couple manufacturers. For a long time they were Champ Labs made filters, very similar to if not same as earlier Champ made Super Tech line. Then STP went to China coo manufacturer. Somewhat recently 'majority' STP blue have gone back to Champ made filters that again are very similar to/or same as SuperTech. However, the S6607 pictured appears to still be the China coo STP blue. So the statement reads like "urban legend", 'to me'. I think the S6607 would be ok for standard interval oci/fci.

That said, if I was seriously considering the STP blue value/jobber tier filter, I'd go to WM and buy the Champ Labs Super Tech ST6607 for $3, half the cost of the STP shown. Or better yet, get the longer MP7317 with silicone adbv for .50 less. Never seen a Nissan where the longer 7317 application didn't fit.

As for using the Nissan OEM, ironically I found they have and adbv defect that allows oil to bypass when it moves off the end of the outlet flange. And there's been several anecdotes as noted in the linked thread that showed the same thing. So, it is not an isolated or one off anecdote. I wouldn't purchase one now.

........And a Nissan OEM C&P:
I call your attention to the third pic down in the scroll. It shows the adbv defect referenced in my previous post. The adbv has slipped down outlet flange and flipped over. Neither the OP of the thread, nor any of the commenters recognized what had happened. Had I not cut open the same filter and found the same thing I wouldn't have recognized it either.

Here's a couple pictures I tried to get of the inside of the S6607 that I have. What do you guys think of it?

Attachments

• IMG_20211226_154526789.jpg
    IMG_20211226_154526789.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20211226_154537788.jpg
    IMG_20211226_154537788.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 56
Back