STOP changing your oil so often!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I will continue to suggest to take a more cautious and scientific approach when stretch That still remains my recommendation, and some engines are better suited for extending OCIs, DI and Carb'ed engines imo are not prime candidates based on my readings here.

Completely agree. DI turbo and carbureted applications are poor candidates for long intervals.

Port injected NA engines on the other hand....absolutely no reason to go only 3000 or 5000 miles!!*

For most engines, that is. There are exceptions....

thumbsup2.gif

I will continue to suggest to take a more cautious and scientific approach when stretch That still remains my recommendation, and some engines are better suited for extending OCIs, DI and Carb'ed engines imo are not prime candidates based on my readings here.

Completely agree. DI turbo and carbureted applications are poor candidates for long intervals.

Port injected NA engines on the other hand....absolutely no reason to go only 3000 or 5000 miles!!*

Make those three choices: DI, DI turbo, and carb engines.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SteveG4

smile.gif

OK...but there've been a couple of decent DI longer runs in the UOA section....just saying that it's engine dependent...

I was doing 7500 runs in the elantra without worries ,its MPFI. After warranty, i'll do 10k. But with the mazda, its 5k or less. My wife drives about 8 miles to work. The winter fuel dilution was very significant.

Her office is moving and she will be driving an even shorter trip.

So i will do 5k summer and 3k winter. I will also reverse the old school thinking of lighter oil in winter and heavier in summer. I'm going to run 30wt in the summer and a 0w40 in the winter, due to fuel dilution.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SteveG4

smile.gif

OK...but there've been a couple of decent DI longer runs in the UOA section....just saying that it's engine dependent...

And the thumbs up meant I agreed.

[/quote]
* Interesting how a PFI 2.0L Elantra engine vs.GDI 2.4L Sonata engine can respond to the same synthetic oil at approx. the same mileage so differently ? At 2,600 miles the Valvoline Advanced 5W30 in the GDI engine is dark and fragrent while in the PFI engine it still retains it's gold color with little to no fuel smell . Until more is learned about GDI engines and the result of the soot they produce on oil additives - then I will error towards a lower OCI (< 5,000 miles) .[/quote]

For the record - aromatic does not equal fragrant - it has to do with GDI soot containing more molecules containing rings vs aliphatic molecules that do not contain rings. If GDI soot was more volatile then it would possibly be more fragrant.

Originally Posted by cwhard

I haven't changed my oil for over a year and a half. Simply no need. Would be glad to publish my next Independent Lab Result at the next oil change (in a few months).

Oil: Amsoil Signature Series 0W20
Filter: Amsoil 15,000 mile synthetic media

For you guys still chasing your tails changing oil. If you enjoy the exercise, be my guest! I personally like saving all that spilled oil from the environment...

Put Amsoil in it and forget it!

-Tex

Why are you carrying out an Independent Lab Result /oil analysis / at the next oil change (in a few months) IF YOU Put Amsoil in it and forget it ??

Do you need to remember anything else ??

Last edited:

And the thumbs up meant I agreed.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
OP said to a buddy he can start a 6 page debate about changing oil in less than a day

OP: WIN
BUDDY: LOOSE

That's sort of what I was thinking. Some people have the gift for sparking lively debates. I keep wondering why none of my posts have ever generated 9 pages of responses. I actually tend to kill threads.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
There are many guys here doing extended OCIs with and without Amsoil here. There are a lot more that are going significant enough distances following their maintenance minder. It's not like BITOG is swamped with 3,000 mile changers.

I think the prevalent BITOG position is any oil can go 5000 miles.
Except for GDI engines, which should be changed at 3750.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
There are many guys here doing extended OCIs with and without Amsoil here. There are a lot more that are going significant enough distances following their maintenance minder. It's not like BITOG is swamped with 3,000 mile changers.

What's magical about 3750 ? 🤔🤔🤔

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by A_Harman

What's magical about 3750 ? 🤔🤔🤔

Because that's what is quoted in the Subaru owner's manual. I don't know how that would become accepted truth, but that's my impression of the situation.

But as for me and my house, we will change our oil with a 3K (6 month) OCI.

Especially since I have switched to less expensive oil. Don't need to sample anymore. Got my plastic 5 gal aquarium water jug for storage and transport of used oil to the auto parts recycle bin.

I truly look forward to changing my oil. My son hates changing oil. My son-in-law hates changing oil. My son's girl friend loves changing oil. There is a real joy to me in "out with the old, in with the new".
I'm sure there are a few more here on bitog like me. I truly love changing my oil.

Well, I didn't like changing the oil on my '02 4Runner until I figured out how to get the oil filter off going in beside the left front tire. I always hated taking all that bottom stuff off. Now it's a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back