Stick On Wide Angle Blind Spot Mirrors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do these mirrors really work? To me, it seems like they might become a "crutch" of sorts, causing one to become too lazy to actually check the blind spot and maybe result in even more accidents.

Comments? Somebody is also welcome to discuss proper mirror adjustment, since we haven't visited that topic in a while here.
wasm-blindspot-new.jpg

They work great for me. Follow motion through the corner of my eye, they help segue greatly from the real mirror to the side one to the actual vehicle out that window.

I like the 2 inch ones because any glare from headlights is shrunk to a teeny point.

My Dad puts those on all his vehicles. But then again he tells me I don't need to adjust my side view mirrors/rear view mirrors when I recall him teaching me how to drive. Never understood that.

I prefer just looking over my left/right shoulder for anything in my vehicle's bind spots.

Anyone that doesn't believe in convex blind spot mirrors has obviously never driven a truck, cargo van, etc where you don't have the option of looking over your shoulder to check your blind spots.

They do widen the area you can see in the mirrors.

However IMO if the mirrors are adjusted correctly you will be able to see everything you need to. (on most vehicles)

So many people set their side view mirrors so they can see the side of the vehicle. Wrong. Assuming two side view mirrors and normal binocular vision, IMHO the view at the edges of the rear view should just barely overlap what you see in the side views. Then your peripheral vision slightly overlaps the other edge of the side view. That way you can see all behind you without looking over your shoulder. There's no reason to see the same vehicle behind you in all 3 mirrors!

I've always found it's easiest to adjust either by getting someone to walk behind the vehicle from side to side, or by getting out on the highway and maneuvering to get the views you need to get things properly adjusted.

They work great for me as well. Some cars have really bad blind spots. The blind spot mirrors I've seen of late are the black plastic rimmed kind. I sorta prefer the aluminium rimmed ones. (I'll tell you, I'm not sure about these new side view mirrors w/the automatic detection system. Give me less technology. Never had a blind spot mirror go bad.)

They make driving safer. You don't have to turn your head to see what the small round mirrors show. I am not quite sure why the industry has not picked up on this. You will see most big rigs all have these mirrors.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
My Dad puts those on all his vehicles. But then again he tells me I don't need to adjust my side view mirrors/rear view mirrors when I recall him teaching me how to drive. Never understood that.
I am thinking that he didn't want you to adjust the mirrors because he had them set just right for himself.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

However IMO if the mirrors are adjusted correctly you will be able to see everything you need to. (on most vehicles)

So many people set their side view mirrors so they can see the side of the vehicle. Wrong. Assuming two side view mirrors and normal binocular vision, IMHO the view at the edges of the rear view should just barely overlap what you see in the side views. Then your peripheral vision slightly overlaps the other edge of the side view. That way you can see all behind you without looking over your shoulder. There's no reason to see the same vehicle behind you in all 3 mirrors!

I've always found it's easiest to adjust either by getting someone to walk behind the vehicle from side to side, or by getting out on the highway and maneuvering to get the views you need to get things properly adjusted.

Agreed! I read a Popular Mechanics article once about how to adjust your side mirrors. I had never thought of it on my own but it works. When adjusting your drivers side mirror tip your head to the left. Put your left ear on your left shoulder. Adjust your drivers sides mirror till you can just see the rear of your vehicle. Do the same for the passenger side by tippin your head to the right. Yes, you still need to check your blind spot, but for me this gives much better coverage and makes me feel more comfortable at the wheel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato

+1

I use a 2" on passenger side to better see the lines and kerbs in carparks, not aiming for blind spot...adjust the main mirror for that.

With my mirrors adjusted correctly, I pretty much don't have blind spots. I find those mirrors take up area the side mirror, but they have such a small image (at least the ones for passenger cars are like that).

The main mirror in the picture is showing too much of the car.

I personally hate them.
everyone else in my family swears by them. when i bought my neon from my brother, he had some REALLY BIG ones on the side mirrors..like they took up half the mirror(had to be at least 3 inches)..and i couldn't get things adjusted right for the life of me with them on there.
the solution that has worked the best for me is proper aiming of the outside mirrors, and a panoramic rearview mirror. (something along these lines) it clips on over the factory unit, and i can see clearly out both back side windows, as well as the rear. (from b pillar to b pillar)

I use them on both cars and my pickup.

I like being able to adjust the mirror correctly, and still have a way to get a wider picture with just a quick glance.

They are great, and like mentioned the added bonus of defeating glare from headlights at night.

I have them on my company-supplied work vehicle, a 2001 GMC Safari van. I never realised how much I use them until I had to drive a spare vehicle that didn't have them for a few days.

I do agree that most people don't adjust the side-view mirrors correctly, though. I was told you should just barely be able to see the door-handle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back