Stage 2 tune for wife's accord

But if mods are in your face expect to be denied. The k tuner allows you to tune and remove the screen so it isn't so obvious. Yes Its in ecu but man the digging to be done to deny warranty would be more time and frustration then just fixing the trans !
When the dealership is expecting Honda Corp to be signing off on a new transmission for warranty, corporate may get a little suspicious and want more information before approving the warranty reimbursement.

VW made it easy to figure out the TD1 flag. It just compares the flash counter, actual vs what it should be. If you have one more than what it should be, that's the indicator.

VW made it easy to figure out the TD1 flag. It just compares the flash counter, actual vs what it should be. If you have one more than what it should be, that's the indicator.
It’s worse than that. If any module calibration has changed since the last online ODIS scan, you’re in trouble. And the TD1 process is now automatic. So if you flashed anything at an Indy shop, even with factory firmware, things can potentially get weird.

I put a K-Tuner on the wife's 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5T 6MT back in Fall 2020.

+30 WHP, +60 WTQ on the highest tune level on an otherwise stock car.

Lotta fun in a 2800 lb car. Gave it something like 240 WHP/250 WTQ or more (the car is rated at 180 HP at the flywheel by Honda, but dyno testing revealed that, in actuality, it was putting out quite a bit more).

One of the really cool features of it was that it gave you the ability to change ECU mapping with the already existing buttons on the steering wheel for the audio system. There were several maps to choose from. So, you could pick mild or maximum for whatever mood you were in.

But not long after I installed it, the clutch slipped on me once or twice. Admittedly, both times, it happened in a higher gear when I got on it without downshifting and spiked turbo boost (with the resultant surge in torque).

But that kinda took the wind outta my sails for it. Didn't want to smoke the clutch on her daily driver.

There are several options for upgrading the clutch. I was mulling which one to go with when, in December 2020, on her way to work, some idiot rear-ended her and totaled the car.

We still have the K-Tuner, and it's for sale if anyone's interested.

Re: Accord: My advice is, if you're looking at Accords, get the 2.0T. Beast of an engine - I understand it's, in essence, the Civic Type R engine, just de-tuned a bit for service in a family sedan. Still quite easy to wake it up, though.

My choice would be the 6-speed.

When the dealership is expecting Honda Corp to be signing off on a new transmission for warranty, corporate may get a little suspicious and want more information before approving the warranty reimbursement.

Luckily for my turbo Subie there were a ton of growing pains when the FA20DIT came out that required half a dozen ECM flashes. I could easily argue that they had to perform each one multiple times due to errors and what not. Be that as it may, I’ve tried to minimize the number of times a flash it.

I agree that OTS staged tunes are pretty great for the price and effort (read zero effort). Do you have the ability to data log To ensure your engine isn’t knocking?

OP, what a marketing! What’s the difference in price between a stage 1 and stage 2 tune? Are there any required mods to upgrade from stage 1 to stage 2? If no, then that’s not stage 2 in any traditional sense and is pure BS.

Stage 1 means no mods; purely stock or exhaust and intake, etc.

Stage 2 traditionally requires the stock cat be replaced with a higher-flowing one or for the two cats to be replaced with one higher-flowing one.

Additional stages require headers, intake, larger turbo, etc.

From what I’ve heard, yes. Starting to pop up in the 60-100K range.
I follow a Honda tech on Instagram to try to keep up with the real world. I understand that he sees alot of problems being in a dealership, but what he sees on a daily basis swayed me away from buying a Honda when I was replacing my 03 accord.

It's really crazy what software will do isn't it? My VW was tuned right after I got and just the stage 1 flash blew me away. Lots of fun! Don't let the negative nellies/warranty worriers rattle you, enjoy what you buy and just understand the impacts. The likelihood of ever needing the warranty for something that the tune would get denied is minimal. Life is too short to drive slow cars and worry about a warranty....

Luckily I work there. ... Also according to Magnuson moss they have to prove it caused it
That's not quite how that works. MM's internet w/r to car bits is that you can use aftermarket parts that are direct replacement for OE parts so say you use a Fram oil filter and your engine takes a dump, no, they can't deny the warranty b/c you used a Fram filter. Aftermarket performance parts like tunes are not included here and they most certainly don't have to prove a thing as much as internet lore suggests otherwise once you have changed things like this. I drive a modded VW and have had no issue getting unrelated bits covered under warranty. You would need to take Honda to court and of course you will lose. Best to always consider that you are on the hook for major drivetrain repairs once you flash your ECU and then if they choose to cover it, you win!

It’s worse than that. If any module calibration has changed since the last online ODIS scan, you’re in trouble. And the TD1 process is now automatic. So if you flashed anything at an Indy shop, even with factory firmware, things can potentially get weird.
Define "module calibration".

My buddy has an 1.5T Accord that he tuned for more boost - He blew the head gasket around 20k-ish, Honda looked at the vehicles software and denied it. Full customer pay job.

My buddy has an 1.5T Accord that he tuned for more boost - He blew the head gasket around 20k-ish, Honda looked at the vehicles software and denied it. Full customer pay job.
As they would. Likely a rare incident and of course you lack any detail here. Which tune/tuner? Supporting mods? Conditions leading to failure? Maintenence history?

Back