2022 Subaru WRX HPL PCMO 5w-30 5000 miles

Would any pulsing on the overrun to create a "burble" lead to drastically higher fuel dilution? I know I have two sets of final run files that my tuner provided me with, one burble tune and one normal. I believe I have the burble tune loaded now. FYI it is not as aggressive as say a stock Elentra N is but it will pop some on redline shifts and some cold downshifts.
If it's only popping on shifts, it's probably just retarded ignition timing at low airflows, with no additional fuel injected. COBB Accesstuner doesn't have the ability to tune these engines for multiple injection events, or to disable deceleration fuel cutoff, unless I'm unaware of changes from the FA20 to the FA24. My FA20 also afterfires sometimes on downshifts, due solely to the idle ignition timing being retarded.

In any case, even if fuel is being injected during deceleration, it won't cause much dilution since it would be a small amount of fuel and it wouldn't be injected when the piston is low in the cylinder. It probably wouldn't be doing the catalytic converter, turbo, or O2 sensors any favours, but I'm not sure if it's known to cause any issues.

Would any pulsing on the overrun to create a "burble" lead to drastically higher fuel dilution? I know I have two sets of final run files that my tuner provided me with, one burble tune and one normal. I believe I have the burble tune loaded now. FYI it is not as aggressive as say a stock Elentra N is but it will pop some on redline shifts and some cold downshifts.
See @twX post#21. I tuned in the analog days, the system advanced timing on overrun, If I had a pop it was a leaky exhaust or we didn't block off the air injection, and transition slots in the carb were exposed.

Lose that air filter. It's junk. Even a k&n would filter better than that.
Try again/completely baseless. Did you not see the UOA above from a new Subaru showing the very high Si on a stock filter presumably?

Silicon is usually really high on Subarus engines when they are new. It's from engine sealant and is nothing to worry about. It will take several more OCIs to go down to normal levels. If you had 100+ ppm of silicon dirt in your engine, your wear metals would be much higher than they are. On some of these engines, excess sealant can break off and end up in the sump and clog the oil pickup screen, so checking the pickup screen with a boroscope at your next oil change might be a good idea, especially since you're not guaranteed to get warranty coverage with your mods.

Fuel dilution normally ranges from 2-4% on these engines, so you're at the upper end of what's normal for a stock engine. The HPL PCMO 5W-30 has a fairly high HTHS of 3.26 cP. As long as your oil temperatures aren't getting really high, I wouldn't worry about it being too thin even with the fuel dilution.

Aftermarket tunes will flow more air, and hence inject more fuel, and they run a bit richer than stock as well. A small amount of increased fuel flow at high load and rpm can cause a large increase in dilution. Any additional fuel is injected while the piston is low in the cylinder, and the fuel sprays onto the lower cylinder wall, which is relatively cold and allows fuel to condense more easily. The COBB OTS tunes advance the fuel injector timing at high load/rpm, which at least partially compensates for this, and your tune is probably similar, but you'll probably still have more dilution with the tune if you drive hard regularly.

I'd love to see some WOT logs of your tune if you have any you can share.

I found my tuning files, but they wont allow me to attach them here or through DM. They are a >PTM file, if your interested in looking at them you can DM me an email address and id happily send them over to ya.

It'S thE aIR filTER...so yeah Subs just have a ton of sealer contamination when new.

Interesting seeing this since I've got a 2022 wrx (stock power, just did catback, shifter mods, and QOL stuff like tint/fumoto valve/skid plate). I have been toying with the idea of a "base" tune without adding an intake just to get the 300ish whp/wtq. I'm just curious how reliable it would be with the transmission. I know the motor is solid but the trans have been going bad around 370-400wtq I think.

Back