speeder in michigan.. 180mph!

Originally Posted by doitmyself
LOL, maybe it was one of those 1000 hp Hellcats modified by John Hennessey............varoooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A few years ago a handful of us BITOG members were invited down to Texas for the "Pennzoil Experience" and besides a wonderful visit to the Pennzoil laboratories in Houston, we also visited Johh Hennessey at his shop and got to ride with him on his test track in a modified Camaro. I got up to about 150mph in my ride and the steering wheel was just a tad twitchy! YouTuber ChrisFix was with us also. Lots of cases of Pennzoil Ultra sitting in his shop!

I remember that well....we had a beer together at the airport on our way home......boy...does time fly...

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Papa Bear
The guy probably read I-75 as 175 and was just doing "5 over"

lol.gif
... could be.

lol.gif

Great posts guys ^^^^^^

In my area I-95 would obviously be 195... 200 mph... 5 over but equal to beginning testing limit of the famous 200 mph tape
lol.gif

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Lately, I've been making regular trips between the San Francisco Bay Area and the Central Coast Wine Country. While cruising Hwy 101 at a sedate 80 to 85mph last week during the late afternoon (the speed limit is 65 or 70, depending), I was getting passed by many people going 90 to 95. Given the greatly reduced traffic plus the high quality roadway, these speeds seemed quite reasonable.

Scott

Cracking down on the Grapevine.
https://cdllife.com/2019/chp-adds-officers-catch-speeders-5-corridor/

Originally Posted by sloinker
Originally Posted by samven
I wana know what they used to pull him over.
lol.gif

I imagine it was a Little Nash Rambler if legend holds true.

Still stuck in second gear I bet.
Smoky

I was a passenger in a 71 or 72 Corvette drag car, the driver was my neighbor (county policeman). We were on a public road and he hit 155. Nothing is scarier or more exhilerating than going that fast, when we got down to around 70 it almost felt like we were stopped. Going 180 is ridiculous on a public road (155 is as well) ...hope he loses his license for a long time.

I had a 74 big block monte carlo that turned just over 1900 RPM at 60 mph in drive. I have seen 4900 on the tach as the speed needed bounced off the drive needle before getting solidly planted.It was still pulling, at 5K the valves would float but never made it there. With tire growth, tire slip and other factors, actual speed is unknown, It was pretty quick though. The radials started going out of balance about a week later.

Rod

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
I wonder if the law enforcement used an airplane helicopter to catch the speeder?

They had a photo of his plate and calmly retrieved him at his home, I'm sure they only smacked him a couple times before cuffing just for fun.

Also it's not hard to catch a car that gets 3-5mpg

I wonder what happens when you hit a deer at 180, or even a raccoon.

Two or three times in my younger days, on empty high plains highways, I found the 4:30-5:00 position on a 1970 Pontiac speedometer. Mice crossing the road were little white blips in the headlights.

Reminds me of an older video that circulated the net of a rabbit getting hit by a Porsche soon after coming onto a straightaway during a race. Wasn't pretty.

My sig car has gone 176 and may have had a bit more. Supposedly it tops out at about 180 or so I've been told. 2006 300C SRT8. Curiously its factory limiter stopped it at 171 before the tune took it away.

I am extremely certain that a Hellcat could do better!

Originally Posted by Smoky14
Originally Posted by sloinker
Originally Posted by samven
I wana know what they used to pull him over.
lol.gif

I imagine it was a Little Nash Rambler if legend holds true.

Still stuck in second gear I bet.
Smoky

Beep Beep!

Originally Posted by Rhymingmechanic
I wonder what happens when you hit a deer at 180, or even a raccoon.

Two or three times in my younger days, on empty high plains highways, I found the 4:30-5:00 position on a 1970 Pontiac speedometer. Mice crossing the road were little white blips in the headlights.

Guarantee that cat will need a new radiator
lol.gif

Having successfully hit a large deer with the right front of my Ford Fusion.... It wrapped around that side of the car and it's head hit the top of the right wheel quarter panel putting a huge dent from it's head there.... It launched that poor deer well up into the air to the right of my vehicle...

At 180... Hit flush... Obviously lots of variables... A good idea though.... Better have a Lexan windshield...

I have seen a group of motorcycles going seriously I'm guessing 160-180... Right by me on interstate 64 just past exit 234... Headed westbound... I was going 79 mph and those cats made me look like I was going quite slow...

Originally Posted by bbhero
Having successfully hit a large deer with the right front of my Ford Fusion.... It wrapped around that side of the car and it's head hit the top of the right wheel quarter panel putting a huge dent from it's head there.... It launched that poor deer well up into the air to the right of my vehicle...

Back in high school a buddy of mine had a big old 1965 Ford Galaxy 500. He worked at a gas station at night and I went there on evening to hand out. He says "go look under my car" ... so I did, and saw all kinds of weird stuff hanging down from parts of the chassis. He says "I hit a deer on the way to work". No real damage to the front end, so maybe it was a small deer. Bumpers on those cars were like 1/4" thick pure steel, lol.

Ages ago topping out an old Firebird 400 I hit a raccoon at well beyond 100. The car was lowered and I expected damage, but upon inspection there was just some fur/skin on the front sway bar.

I didn't even wiggle the steering wheel...

Back