Are people driving faster everywhere, or is it just Michigan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't done much driving out of state in a while, and I'm just wondering if people routinely speed in your state/province/whatever like they do here. It seems the the norm here has become 5mph over the limit for most roads, and 10mph over for highways, and significant numbers of people driving even faster than that. I routinely have lines of vehicles pass me doing 90+ and see people doing over 100 pretty frequently. Heck, I don't even bother slowing down from 75mph when I pass the state police on I-94 anymore. Driving around the east side of Detroit is pretty much the same - except people also make their own lanes where there is none and go by the 'no cop, no stop' method at a lot of lights and intersections.

Last edited:
I feel like I've seen 3 threads about this recently.

In MN, at least in my eyes, we have 2 types of drivers. The ones who do 5 under the limit or right on it, holding up everyone, and the ones that do 10 over and never get caught.

I admit, I'm usually part of the latter group. I like to get where I'm going. I have no problem going with the flow of traffic, I'm not one of those "lane chasers" that constantly shifts lanes just to grab a car lengths worth of progress, but when the opportunity is there I'll gladly to 10 over. I know my town well enough to know where I can get away with it. I won't, however, speed on side streets. There's just too much at stake. 35 mph main roads I'll do 40, but that's it.

As far as I'm concerned, on the highway, speed is a "reasonable and prudent" type of thing. If it's a bright sunny day and you're on a flat stretch of road with minimal traffic, go ahead and do 80. Heck, when I was driving from Vegas to Salt Lake I did a solid 105-110 the entire way through the desert. What's there to hit?

Around here it seems more people are in a hurry and impatient these days, which also brings out the aggressive lunitic type drivers. They don't care about disrespecting other drivers on the road in order to get some place 5 min earlier. Speeding has its places, but not in heavy traffic where aggressive moves have to be constantly executed to keep overtaking cars in front.

[color:#CCFFFF]"As far as I'm concerned, on the highway, speed is a "reasonable and prudent" type of thing. If it's a bright sunny day and you're on a flat stretch of road with minimal traffic, go ahead and do 80. Heck, when I was driving from Vegas to Salt Lake I did a solid 105-110 the entire way through the desert. What's there to hit?"
[/color]
I would love to watch you explain that to the State Trooper when he naps you.

Last edited:
Hey, we live in New Jersey or as I call it "the training grounds for future demolition derby failures"! I dare you to try to drive the speed limit anywhere in the state. We also travel extensively and find that, in general, people are in a hurry and want you out of their way no matter how fast you are driving. As Petula Clark once said "it's a sign of the times"!

I was all over Detroit this week, speeding was not as common as usual as the road construction seemed to slow everyone down, I used I94 allot I believe it's only 55MPH, I went 60-65 and was about middle of the pack, when we were driving in Dearborn/Melvindale area I was stopped at a red light and the car behind me was stoped also and all of sudden they turned into the lane beside us hit the gas went through the red light and continued on blowing through the next red light, my wife said "did I just see what I think I saw" it's not like there was no traffic or cars around, On our way to Detroit as we crossed from 696 to M-10 to pick up trucks passed me and both were pulled over.
TOTO.

In Maryland, the State flag has a checkered pattern that resembles a race track flag. This seems to be a cue to everyone that speeding is the norm.

Personally, I'm fine with people driving within reasonable ranges of the posted limit -as long as proper lane usage is observed. On highways, the left lane is for passing. Right lane is to travel at the posted limit as conditions permit. Slower traffic allowed in the right lane for emergency purposes.

I really wish driver education in the US could be improved.

Ray

From what I read here, most think the driver should determine the safe speed. If that be the case, take down all the useless speed limit signs and have at it!!

Faster and more impatient. One because the cars have gotten faster, the other because people have a superiority complex when they get behind the wheel.

I do not see packs of people driving 90-100 here in Michigan. The occasional idiot, yes.

Most packs are going 75-80 when traffic allows.

Seems to be mostly on two-lane roads. Since traffic's thicker, when there's a wide open spot people seem to go 15-20 over to "make up time". The cops here aren't running speed traps like they did 10-20 years ago; I assume it's because of meth, heroin, and "real problems".

Yes, folks are driving faster. The average cars today are much safer at 70 than in the 70's and the roads are being engineered for higher speeds, and speed limits are rising in some areas.

People go slower here because there are more old people on the road now. When you see that BITOG special Buick Park Avenue doing the speed limit in the left lane, you know what the deal is. I usually tailgate at least one or two people on the way to work to try to speed them up. I saw someone try to pass around a corner on a country road yesterday and almost cause a head on collision. The leader of the pack he was passing had to move to let him in it was so close, not to mention the person coming the other way taking evasive action!

Not much change around here, everyone is stupid behind the wheel as always. Usual pattern is 60-65 in a 55. 75 in a 70. You'll always find the one overcautious person driving really slow if it's sprinkling, and the first 1/2 inch of snow will shutdown schools and have all the local news on storm alert. I just get in, go, and watch the mayhem unfold.

When there is traffic I don't speed. When there is no traffic I don't seed. It's called a speed "limit." No one has any obligation to actually drive as fast as the speed limit. Now there are speed minimums and these should be followed too. If you want to drive fast go ahead, just don't blame others for driving within the legal limit.

Originally Posted by beanoil
Not much change around here, everyone is stupid behind the wheel as always. Usual pattern is 60-65 in a 55. 75 in a 70. You'll always find the one overcautious person driving really slow if it's sprinkling, and the first 1/2 inch of snow will shutdown schools and have all the local news on storm alert. I just get in, go, and watch the mayhem unfold.
Same with the rain, some people will do 20 under the speed limit when it is raining or the roads are wet. I just pretend everyone is running old, bald all season tires in the winter. It helps me deal with the stress.

Driving schools and bad advice have made people way overcautious in bad conditions, I think that a modern cars with ABS + TCS and snow tires are a far cry from Grampa's 72 Olds 88 with a 455 and no ABS on bias plys. I've noticed this influence with leaving a huge gap in front of you at a stop light. I guess so you don't get smashed into the person in front of you. That behavior creates traffic congestion in cities.

There's a pretty broad line between being safe and being an entitled milksop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back