Snow tire question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rallying doesn't have much application to regular driving since rally cars, at least at the WRC level, run tires best suited to the conditions. IIRC they have something like 6-7 different tires to choose from, including studless and studded snow tires. Now if a specific piece of equipment or technique proves beneficial in rallying, it can cross over to road-going cars. The takeaway there is to use the tire best suited for the conditions, not a "jack of all trades" tire as so many Americans do.

I do see your point that 4WD, at least true 4WD, will keep the wheels moving at the same speed. Whether or not that speed is translated into control over the vehicle is still up to the tires.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Rallying doesn't have much application to regular driving since rally cars, at least at the WRC level, run tires best suited to the conditions. IIRC they have something like 6-7 different tires to choose from, including studless and studded snow tires. Now if a specific piece of equipment or technique proves beneficial in rallying, it can cross over to road-going cars. The takeaway there is to use the tire best suited for the conditions, not a "jack of all trades" tire as so many Americans do.

I do see your point that 4WD, at least true 4WD, will keep the wheels moving at the same speed. Whether or not that speed is translated into control over the vehicle is still up to the tires.

I agree with the above, since on the street, the STIs/Evos are not going ANYWHWERE with those standard, 160 treadwear, summer max performance, semi-slick B-stones in the snow/ice/slush, EVEN with their center diffs locked!!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back