Made the Wrong Snow Tire Decision

I'm pretty good when it comes down to rubber selection....
New Car - Knowing Winters Have been getting milder and milder each year.
For 22" Winter Season, I put on 1400 miles on the new snows. Wifey put most of the mileage so I don't have any real data points.

And in my mind, when I was purchasing, selecting tires, I was leaning on Michelin PA4 but ultimately went with Hakka 5 since I've always run Hakka's with great success.

2 Days in a row, mild high 40/low 50' temps. one being in rainy conditions.
I just hate driving on Gummi bears and I feel like I have buyers remorse with not going with the PA4.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it, but you may be happier in January and February!

Nothing but rain here in CT so far. I decided against separate snows and happy with that so far. Running the best wet weather tires I could find: Michelin Crossclimate 2 on the Mazda CX-5, and Continental TerrainContact H/T on my F150. (Many thanks to everyone here for the recommendations!)

Edit: I picked the referenced tires because they are great in rain and "good enough" in snow.

Edit #2: Have never owned Hakkapellita tires so can't comment on that.

Last edited:
chefwong, in the words of Sylvian Stein " even I make mistakes"

Last edited:
All I run on all the cars is PS4S 9 months out of the year. Was mildly considering doing a set of AllSeasons-non seasons for the *snow shoes* but decided on dedicated snows for those occasional skiing runs

Last edited:
So what's wrong exactly, by gummy do you mean soft? did you want stiffer/harsher riding tires?

4000 miles on my r5s. Driven in , very, mild temperatures with wet road and lots of rain. I haven’t noticed any problems for a winter tire. Very quiet tire.

r5s are supposed to be an improvement on wet roads versus the r3.

talk about opposite directions for tire purchases.

Of course your post is worthless beyond ranting.. since its lacking basic information such as "What car?"

Considering the hakka r5's are probably their best handing R series tire.. I'm confused about your comment that you have run them with great success.

Last edited:
For 22" Winter Season, I put on 1400 miles on the new snows. Wifey put most of the mileage so I don't have any real data points.

And in my mind, when I was purchasing, selecting tires, I was leaning on Michelin PA4 but ultimately went with Hakka 5 since I've always run Hakka's with great success.

I just hate driving on Gummi bears and I feel like I have buyers remorse with not going with the PA4.
What Hakkas did you use previously? r3s?

You Said you were happy with previous Hakkas and must have driven on wet roads and mild temperatures.

Two different types of winter tires.

All I run on all the cars is PS4S 9 months out of the year. Was mildly considering doing a set of AllSeasons-non seasons for the *snow shoes* but decided on dedicated snows for those occasional skiing runs

The Nokian WRG4 or the new WRG5 might be good for this purpose. It's basically a winter tire that can be used year-round. You might like using it as your winter tire while still using the PS4S the rest of the year :unsure:

THIS is why my snows don’t go on until the first forecast of weather in which they will be needed… Insert annoying video of Kristen Bell screaming “HOLD!!!” incessantly!

Two different types of winter tires.
The Nokian WRG4 or the new WRG5 might be good for this purpose. It's basically a winter tire that can be used year-round. You might like using it as your winter tire while still using the PS4S the rest of the year :unsure:
That was my first thought for an appropriate tire. Some are pretty sporty while remaining relatively excellent in the winter
Some sizes being V and W speed rated.

For me the issue is with nokian availability and pricing locally as well as needing 5 or 6 tires to find 4 round ones.
This may have changed since 2016 and now with the whole Russia situation.

Last edited:
It has been a warm winter, I still have my AS4's on the BMW instead of the snows. I love my snows (General Arctic 12s) and they make the car an animal in the snow, but there is a noticeable difference in handling with them when it gets warm, and we hit 60 the other day, so I'll be waiting a bit longer.

@chefwong Where in NY are you? I'm in NYC and just purchased a set of Michelin CrossClimate 2's. I feel most New Yorkers can get away with all seasons that have the three peak snowflake symbol, even upstate. The only dedicated snow tires I have now are for the plow vehicle. I will pray that it snows for you ;)

those tires are very soft with temps over 7 C,

Actually they main focus is on snow and ice.(Sub- Zero temperatures) Probably would be better to run CC2 for your winters

Back