Best studded snow tires?

Hi,

I drive a 2017 Honda Civic, and the time has come to replace my current snow tires. I currently have 15" rims and will be replacing the tires with 195/65R15 tires again. Coming off are a set of studded Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter. Ice performance has been excellent, but last winter they made me feel a little unsettled in snow, and showing some signs of dry rot.

I live on the east coast of Canada, and my driving in the winter is about half highway driving, and half poorly-cleared urban commuting.

Winters are very unpredictable, with lots of slush and ice, plenty of snowfall but little accumulation.

I'm currently considering the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 Studded, Michelin X-Ice North 4 Studded or Firestone Winterforce 2 (would also stud these). There are no regulations for studded tires in the winter in our urban areas, therefore I'd like to go with studded tires for the extra safety on ice.

I can get the Nokians for $863, the Michelins for $691, or the Firestones for $574.

I know the firestones will react well in slush and snow, but I'm not so sure about the ice and dry performance. I'd assume that since they are studded, the ice performance will still be better than studless Blizzaks or X-Ice, along with improved treadwear.

Equally, I know the Nokians and Michelins are excellent in icy conditions, but I'm wondering if they would perform as well as the Firestones in wet or slushy conditions.

So, how do the Hakkapeliittas or X-Ice North 4 perform in slush and rain, and are they worth the premium over the Firestones? Any other suggestions for studded tires in these conditions?

....I'm currently considering the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 Studded, Michelin X-Ice North 4 Studded or Firestone Winterforce 2 (would also stud these). ......
Get the Nokians or Michelins. The only thing Firestone has in its favor is aquaplaning resistance. Also consider the Goodyear Ultra Grip Arctic 2 .

This test data is worth looking at:

More tests:

Last edited:
I would go with a factory studded tire. ie like a nokian hakka 10, especially since they have studs designed specifically for their tires, and able to design in unique features, such as different stud shapes, vs universal pins, and add a cushion to the stud to make it more asphalt friendly, and the factory studded tires tend to have the studs more securely installed.

Honestly, when studding them and given your parameters, the Firestones will work fine.

The studding evens out performance on ice across all. “Dry” performance is really not a big issue in cold temps. If you fee the Firestone meets your dry/wet snow and slush needs, they will meet the others. If you don’t feel comfortable going cheap like that, get the Michelins but don’t splurge on the Hakkas to then stud them, IMO

I lived in NY and then northern VT for years before coming out west. I always ran studless (albeit w/AWD). I’ve driven a lot of studded tires of family members, and out here I still run studless (Hakka’s actually) to get up to the ski area, not as an every day need.

You'll be fine as long as the studs dont wear down to quick, and the Civic is pretty light.
Factory studded is the better option though. Nokian is supposed to have the best stud retention.

COOPER Evolution Winter w/ studs . They're 15" T rated and start at 12/32s'. Plenty of very deep sipes to work with the studs . Use these for both cars and due well on 30 to 35 degree driveway when covered with ice or snow or both . Very good on those ice coated descents . Pictures of the EVOLUTION Winter ( 1 or 2 years of use ) are here ( scroll down to post #29 ) , https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...dge-first-snow-and-small-review.336704/page-2 . The 195/65-15 ( 95T ) are $109.99 at TIRERACK and get $80 rebate . So , $89.99 plus $15 studding per tire bring it to $104.99 each before tax . Very good reviews at TIRERACK . Keep us updated on decision and their performance , etc..

Last edited:
Welcome to BITOG 🥳

Nokian is the gold standard for studded tires. The Hakka 10 is studded at the factory with special studs with a shock absorber that does less damage to our roads.

If they are too expensive, there is the Nordman North 9. It is the old Hakka 9.

COOPER Evolution Winter w/ studs . They're 15" T rated and start at 12/32s'. Plenty of very deep sipes to work with the studs . Use these for both cars and due well on 30 to 35 degree driveway when covered with ice or snow or both . Very good on those ice coated descents . Pictures of the EVOLUTION Winter ( 1 or 2 years of use ) are here ( scroll down to post #29 ) , https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...dge-first-snow-and-small-review.336704/page-2 . The 195/65-15 ( 95T ) are $109.99 at TIRERACK and get $80 rebate . So , $89.99 plus $15 studding per tire bring it to $104.99 each before tax . Very good reviews at TIRERACK . Keep us updated on decision and their performance , etc..
Oops , do well .

I use General Altimax with studs on my rigs. Been happy with their performance and longevity. They along with tires in general have gotten expensive.

Nokian and Michelin will be getting some studded tire competition from Bridgestone, with their new Blizzak Spike 3 tire introduced 4 months ago. They are claiming superior ice traction to Michelin, Nokian, Goodyear, and Continental.

1 Tests carried out by TÜV SÜD on the request of Bridgestone in March 2022 at the facilities Bridgestone SPG (Sweden) and at ARCTIC FALLS (Sweden) for snow & ice tests, with VW Golf VII, on tyre size 205/55 R16. Blizzak Spike 3 compared to the performances of main competitors in the same segment: CONTINENTAL IceContact 3, MICHELIN X-Ice North 4, NOKIAN Hakkapeliitta 10, GOODYEAR UltraGrip Arctic 2. Report No. [713252341].

BRAKING ON ICE, rating: BRIDGESTONE Blizzak Spike 3 (100%), NOKIAN Hakkapeliitta 10 (89,7%), MICHELIN X-Ice North 4 (89,1%), GOODYEAR UltraGrip Arctic 2 (78,4%), CONTINENTAL IceContact 3 (71,7%).

ACCELERATION ON ICE, rating: BRIDGESTONE Blizzak Spike 3 (100%), MICHELIN X-Ice North 4 (100%), NOKIAN Hakkapeliitta 10 (76,7%), GOODYEAR UltraGrip Arctic 2 (71,6%), CONTINENTAL IceContact 3 (67,9%).

Back