Sumitomo Ice Edge - First Snow and Small Review

Altimax Arctic with studs....no going back to non studded winter tires and refuse to pay double for Hakkapakkalitta's or whatever. For historical purposes, the non studded I have used have run the gamut and Xice/Blizzaks were the best back in the day.

I do not hear what you type!

Studs are awfully noisy, at least from the outside.
Hard to imagine that they provide decent comfort on anything but deep snow.

Just my opinion.

Krzyś

Use COOPER Evolution Winter w/ studs for both cars . Make a difference on our 30 degree sloped driveway when covered with ice . It's the descent that's the biggest concern . They're very reasonably priced with studs . Rebate covers most of the cost for studs . They also have many deep sipes close to base of tire . Another bonus . Rated T too .

I've got these on my Odyssey. They've been fine in light and deep snow and were super cheap. They're also the loudest tires I've ever had over 60 MPH, and I've run plenty of different snow tires before.

The noise levels definitely remind me of the Winterforce I used to use on the Focus. Not too terrible on the Forester, though. But noisier than others.

Still having it, lol! They are great in snow, they are not great on ice, the Michelin tires are much better, but were not available in a size that would fit the Jeep.
Which Hankook snow tires were they? I ordered 4 yesterday.

He also had the ipike RW-11.

They're apparently a great snow tire. I really think I got a counterfeit set from tires-easy or simpletire (can't remember where I bought them).

The Sumitomos are going to go on the Grand Marquis this winter. They're a bit bigger than stock (215/70-16 vs 225/60-16)

He also had the ipike RW-11.

They're apparently a great snow tire. I really think I got a counterfeit set from tires-easy or simpletire (can't remember where I bought them).

The Sumitomos are going to go on the Grand Marquis this winter. They're a bit bigger than stock (215/70-16 vs 225/60-16)
The ones I ordered are Hankook i*cept iz2 W616. Not many reviews around. I found a Consumer Reports test from 2020 that placed these tires middle of the pack.

My other option was Arctic (12) which I purchased several sets in the past and got at least 40k miles each time. But the price went up to almost a hundred dollars per tire.

The sipes of the newer ARCTIC 12 are about 1/3 as deep as the Altimax Arctic they replaced . The A.A. went close to base of the tire . That's why I passed on the 12 and now buy COOPER Evolution Winter w/ studs . The sipes of the Evolution Winter go as deep as the previous Altimax ARCTIC .

DSCF6263.JPG
IMG_2191.JPG
IMG_2386.JPG

Last edited:
The iPike RW11.

Here's my thread on them:

Winter 2 update. We finally got some snow today. Had to put 75 miles on today in the snow. Heavy lake effect.

The Subaru is gone, but these made their way to the Grand Marquis via 3 Ranger wheels and 1 Sport Trac wheel. The Grand Marquis has 240 pounds of solidified concrete and a bunch of other junk in the trunk; a lot of weight behind the axle.

They make the car work surprisingly well in the snow. Everyone said how terrible it would be in the snow regardless.

Obviously a v8/RWD is going to spin some taking off from an unplowed intersection uphill, but it spins for a second then digs right down and scoots. I can kick the tail out, but regaining control is very easy.

Since the car has at least 1100 pounds on the Subaru, it is incredibly stable! Was running on some compacted snow on the Interstate, up unplowed city roads and then in slush and this car was planted. On 81 for a stretch we were passing other cars no issues, even underequipped AWD crossovers with crappy tires were struggling to stay in their lane and keep up momentum and the Grand Marquis kept trucking along.

Stopping isn't a problem. This car is heavy. And a lot of that weight is over the front tires.

Interesting as I have a neighbor that has these tires and likes them. I had Sumi all seasons on my Cobalt, and even they did pretty well in the snow. The only downside about their tires is that they seem to wear pretty fast.

But for the price and safety, they are worth it!
I put Sumitomo all seasons on the 300 after I read how good they were in snow and I am impressed. Excellent in rain too. They are a performance tire and do wear a little faster.

The sipes of the newer ARCTIC 12 are about 1/3 as deep as the Altimax Arctic they replaced . The A.A. went close to base of the tire . That's why I passed on the 12 and now buy COOPER Evolution Winter w/ studs . The sipes of the Evolution Winter go as deep as the previous Altimax ARCTIC .

View attachment 75912 View attachment 75917View attachment 75918

The sipes are likely to go full depth in the centre of the thread block. My kumho are like that too and it's done to keep the thread block integrity up on dry surfaces, with a new tyre.

Glad you like the new tires.

FWIW, this is season number 8 on our Hankook IPike RW-11's on our Explorer. They have worn extremely well for a snow tire, and have done everything we've asked them to do. And driving them back to back against new all season tires, they are an improvement in all winter related conditions.

Are they the best winter tires I've ever used? No. Better than all seasons for winter, yes.

That being said, I've seen a couple of more recent reviews on these commenting on poor traction. Mine are over 8 years old (and on their last season).
I had a set of RW11s on my 2500 and I’d buy them again. 275/65/20 studded

Wife and I finished two seasons on Sumitomo Ice Edge winter tires on her 2008 Subaru Outback. The Sumitomos replaced a set of Michelin XI3 winter tires. The Sumitomos are not as quiet and refined as the XI3’s, but they have good traction on snow and almost as good on ice. We got 5 seasons of service on the XI3’s. Hopefully we’ll get 5 seasons from the Sumitomos. I would definitely buy the Sumitomo winter tires again. The local Goodyear tire shop recommended the Sumitomo tires.

Back