Hankook Kinergy GT - slippery on snow and ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dealer installed their "upgraded tire and wheel" package on the car I just bought. no, I did not ask for them nor was the upgrade figured into the price - they left them on for "free". whatever. unfortunately they are Hankook Kinergy GT's - which I just figured out from experience (and then checked the ratings on TireRack) that these are horrible in the snow! in my years of driving, I have never slid through a red light intersection (it was on a downhill) until last Saturday night.

Yes, I am now considering winter tires for the car, but has anyone any experience with Hankook Kinergy GT's?

Kinergy GTs seem to be the Optimo H426 replacement-a generic grand touring all season OE tire that's relatively quiet, lackluster for true traction, and rather short-lived. You could use them until they're gone or upgrade early - wouldn't be hard or expensive to do better all around.

Never liked anything Hankook when it comes to traction on anything but dry pavement. Always wear out early too. Just all around tires to avoid IMO.

It's a no-season tire. It's only M+S due to the tread to void ratio.

Get a separate set of wheels for winter tires, and keep the Kinergy GT for the other 3-seasons.

Before I became a diehard winter tires person, I slid through a red light on a downhill on a set of Michelin all-season tires

Remember that OE tires that come with the car are different than the ones you'd buy from Tire Rack, DT/DTD, or your local tire shop, even with the same name. For example, the Kinergy GT's on your car are not the same as the ones listed on Tire Rack.

Also, like others have already said here, no all-season tire will be that great in snow and ice. The only ones that might come close are those "all weather tires" which are all-season tires with the 3-peak sign, such as the Nokian WRG4.

I think the point is relative to other All season tires they are even worse than most.

That being said, I use winter tires on both my vehicles - I had one set of bad all-season tires in the winter, switched to winters, and have never looked back.

Also, I wouldn't say all Hankook tires are bad. Just like any other manufacturer, they have good tires and not so good tires. I've been more than satisfied with the Hankooks I've used in the past for their combination of wear and performance for the price.

Originally Posted by -SyN-
I as well not a huge Fan Boy of any Hankook so called seasonal tires.

ROFL : Let me reword my short statement - NOT a fan Boy of Hankook tires in general!

Originally Posted by spk2000
Never liked anything Hankook when it comes to traction on anything but dry pavement. Always wear out early too. Just all around tires to avoid IMO.

Yeah the Hankook Dynapro HTs on my Escape suck. No traction in any conditions. I will say they seem better now after about 30K miles on them. About a year ago when they were brand new they were actually worse, and now they are tolerable. The other night I was going rather fast in the rain and they were fine. But from a stop even the lame 2.5L four cylinder can break them loose far too easily. I don't agree about wearing out early, despite never rotating them all four are wearing evenly and still look to have well over 50% tread left over.

I did have a set of Hankook Dynapro ATs on a 97 Suburban for a while. Excellent traction in the rain! And good on dry pavement and off-road as well. We'll see how the Sumitomo ATs I just got for my Chevy turn out once I finish working on the truck and installing them.

My next set of tires for the Escape is probably going to be Vredestein Quatracs. So many excellent reviews of them out there!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Here we go again, people thinking all season tires have ANY KIND of snow/ice performance.

Back when I drove my 85 Z28 with all season tires, I went everywhere in WA snow/ice no problem.

My 91 AWD Astro went everywhere with all season tires.

Driving skill trumps all.

Another idea is to get a set of better ‘all seasons' now, and put the Hankooks back on in the Spring. For the most part, Chicago doesn't get that much ‘real' Winter, though I'm a fan of dedicated snows. Yes of course Chicago gets more winter than Tampa.

I had some Michelin ‘Defenders' put on our CR-V at 33k recently. I saved the OEM tires to go back on in the Spring.

I do not believe the winter tires are justified in Chicago area.
If it was me - I would just get rid of Kinergies and put a good all seasons. PureContacts works well for me.
It looks like these Hanooks have also mediocre wet traction - I would not fill comfortable having them year round

just the facts mam! all season but winter tyres are just that, some better than others but when it gets cold the tread is harder limiting traction. of course tread pattern for snow goes better as well as stopping better. IMO cold + snowy states should mandate REAL SNOW TIRES, there would be less accidents for sure. i ran 4 snow tyres on my 01 jetta during Pa winters + passed SUV's struggling with all season but winter tyres. get a cheap set of xtra wheels + you can easily change them at home!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back