H727 rain/snow performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for informed opinion on how well Hankook Optimo H727 tires do in foul weather, especially slush and black ice---given that no all-season does well on ice.

The DTD eBay store has $100 off the H727 in the right size for my Saturn. Hankook also has a $50 rebate on them. After rebates, I could get them installed with lifetime rotation for about $230; best price I have seen for this tire. They would surely be the last tires I ever put on this car, barring road hazard.

I would have ordered them on the spot but for two things: I am sniffing around looking to trade up for a better ride, though that has not gone well in the right price range and is not likely to change; also I have read mixed reviews on the H727 in snow/winter conditions. All other areas it gets raves, as long as you don't plan to corner like a racecar driver. Not likely in a Saturn SL1....

So, does anyone run these tires in winter/heavy rain/slushy snow? Reviews I have read are all over the map there.

Thanks.

Consumer Reports rates them "very good" for both wet braking and snow traction.

I have about 15 - 20k miles on mine. We haven't had much snow since I bought them, but they've been fine in the rain for me. I've been really happy with them.

We have no snow in So Cal so I don't know how it performs on snow. But it does very good on wet roads for few rainy days we had the last 2 years.

I ran them on my civic last winter, it did great in the 2 snow storms we did get last year. They do very well in wet weather and braking on ridiculously wet roads as I know first hand, they are also very quiet on the road too. The only down side is I can feel them roll when I corner hard, probably more than you will do to them when I rip on my car. I bought them based tirerack's review, I am happy and recommend them a lot, and I will be rolling on them this winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had them on a w-body buick century and they did quite nicely. I also attribute it to a heavy car on skinny tires.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
The only down side is I can feel them roll when I corner hard, probably more than you will do to them when I rip on my car.

That would make sense, they are a "T" rated tire. Made for basic around town driving.

faramir9,
Well, my daughter can say first hand that the H727 do quite well in the Western New York winters(Mazda3) between Rochester, Buffalo and Niagra Falls. "You just don't notice much", she says! Not that the H727 is an optimal tire for a Mazda3 but, it's an optimal tire for her driving style and our climate.

I have never read any H727 reviews of someone driving in blizzard conditions with 1/2 tread, just normal winters with quite new tread and the reviews are quite good on just about any vehicle. So, as the tire wears/ages, all remains to be seen!

Yeah, the tires are quiet, smooth and good riding. No life altering experiences here. They just go about their business without calling much attention to themselves.

My buddy and his son each have the H727's on a Camry and CR-V respectivly. They both claim that these tires are as-good-as or better than any tires that they've owned. And, they're comparing to many good name brand tires of their past which include Brigestone, Good/Year, Michelin, Yokohama...to make a comparison!

But, just speaking of winter! Well, they're not snow/ice tires but, they do quite well in the snow/ice for an all-season tire. For the price that you can get the H727's for(e-bay/Hankook rebate), I'd jump all over'em keeping in mind...

How does your car do in the winter with the other tires that you've used? If it was good, then it should be at least equal or better with the H727's

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
faramir9,
Well, my daughter can say first hand that the H727 do quite well in the Western New York winters(Mazda3) between Rochester, Buffalo and Niagra Falls. "You just don't notice much", she says! Not that the H727 is an optimal tire for a Mazda3 but, it's an optimal tire for her driving style and our climate.

I have never read any H727 reviews of someone driving in blizzard conditions with 1/2 tread, just normal winters with quite new tread and the reviews are quite good on just about any vehicle. So, as the tire wears/ages, all remains to be seen!

Yeah, the tires are quiet, smooth and good riding. No life altering experiences here. They just go about their business without calling much attention to themselves.

But, just speaking of winter! Well, they're not snow/ice tires but, they do quite well in the snow/ice for an all-season tire. For the price that you can get the H727's for(e-bay/Hankook rebate), I'd jump all over'em keeping in mind...

How does your car do in the winter with the other tires that you've used? If it was good, then it should be at least equal or better with the H727's

We will find out soon. I just ordered the tires from DTD-eBay. Too good a deal to pass up. With installation it's $225-$230 total OTD, after rebates. This is for 14"; still, it's an unreal price. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Can't say about the current tires in winter. I bought the Saturn in June, fairly suddenly, after my old Chevy Classic acted up with the fuel pump/electrical problem born of Passlock again.

See: http://is.gd/V4BM11

The left sides are now between 5 and 6 (closer to 5) while the right sides are between 4 and 5. I could get through the winter with them if I had to, I am sure. It's one of those deals where it's close either way whether it's worth changing them out---but I do not mess around with tires as winter approaches around here. Our annual snowfall would not impress you guys from upstate NY, but we get blinding snow squalls, nasty, icy slush and the occasional ice storm, sometimes out of nowhere. Last year we had almost nothing, but that was rare.

I'm gonna save the old tires and hope to get a few bucks for them from a local shop. If not I will keep them for a backup, or maybe try to sell them on CL if things get real tight.

We shall see. Of course, now that I plunked down the $$$ for new tires on the Saturn, all of a sudden I will find the right car to upgrade to that I can afford....

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: Brenden
The only down side is I can feel them roll when I corner hard, probably more than you will do to them when I rip on my car.

That would make sense, they are a "T" rated tire. Made for basic around town driving.

Yeah but they still respond really well to quick turns, but I switched out my summer rims early so I didn't have to rush home 150 miles one way before the snow and switch then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back