Snow tire question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zaedock, I agree, part time will help with engine braking (and I do downshift my auto). When it gets really icy / nasty, I've been known to come to a near-stop at the top of a hill and crawl down it in 4LO and 1st or 2nd gear. Keep in mind, your Jeeps are both shorter in wheelbase than mine, so they'll rotate around turns more easily, which means the part-time understeer isn't as severe, and it's harder to recover once the tail comes out in 2wd (in 4wd, you can apply power to help pull it straight).

The understeer can be countered with the application of enough power to pull you through the turn, but I generally take the racing approach to corners (and don't put down power before the apex), so being in part time causes it to push badly coming into the turn, only to settle out once I get on the gas. In 2wd, the turn-in is much better, and unless I put down way too much power coming out, the tail stays in line pretty well.

In addition, I HATE understeer. I'd rather be going down the road sideways at full opposite lock than understeering.

Also, I don't see being in 2wd as a problem, as I've never spun the Jeep, even when screwing around and hanging the tail out pretty far in the snow, or after one particularly nasty mid-corner ice patch that led to 90* worth of snap oversteer very quickly while under throttle. Scared the [censored] out of my passengers, and I was just surprised that I could move the steering wheel that fast.

I will agree with your assessment that Jeeps are pretty good in snow, at least in terms of raw ability to progress through it and get somewhere. However, a Wrangler or other SWB Jeep isn't great as far as getting somewhere any bit quickly in the snow, and it's certainly hard to drive well in the snow.

I'd say I'm pretty good at driving in the snow (and I make sure to get some parking lot practice in at the beginning of each winter), and have never had an issue handling the ZJ, just times where I wish I had more grip. Honestly, I think I've lost the tail more times unintentionally in the rain than in the snow, as the handling in this thing is a little quirky (stomp on it a bit pulling out of a driveway in the rain, it spins a little but the tail stays in line pretty well, however, come through a tight turn where the road angle changes noticeably, such as crossing over the crown at an intersection while turning left, at any real speed, and the tail will just unweight and slide out, even with no throttle. It's easy to pull it back, but it's not exactly the time most people would expect it to slide).

I wheel a lot and know my Jeep like the back of my hand, so maybe I get a bit critical.

When I drive my kid's XJ in snow storms I still have no problem or notice any quirkiness. It has a rear locker and an open front. Most of the time, I drive my Ford, which is like a tank (although I drive with caution and not like a nut like the folks passing me on the highway).

Either way, I think you would benefit from a nice AT tire instead of the season specific snows. Something year round that will save some coin (I'm a cheap bastid).

I've always liked the BFG AT's, but many of my friends like the General AT2's or the Toyo Open Country.

I had a set of Firestone Destination AT's on my old Chevy 6.2L Diesel stake bed (2WD) and that thing was fine in the snow. Granted, the 8' stake bed with 1/4" diamond plate added a bit of traction!

I'm already on Toyo Open Country A/Ts, which are new to this Jeep this fall, so I'll see how it does this winter. I just think I could use a bit more traction at times, and being that I already have a second set of wheels for it, I don't see a good reason not to run snows (considering it'll save some wear on my A/Ts, so the extra cost is probably minimal).

When I turned a wrench for a living, everyone loved Bridgestone Blizzaks. I just looked up your size and the amount of siping on it is insane! The tread looks pretty pisah too.

Nokians are a pretty penny upfront. I paid about $700-800 for mine. Although given that the Hakka R's showed no appreciable drop in fuel economy from my all-seasons last year, the fuel savings over the tire's lifespan made the purchase price more palatable. The difference in fuel costs over 3 years was enough to repay the price difference between Nokian Hakka R's and General Altimax Arctics. This year I'm doing much more driving than I was last year, so the payoff thanks to better fuel economy will happen even sooner.

The Hakka R's on my car just rolled and rolled on dry pavement. They bill themselves as LRR snow tires, and they lived up to that billing.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Remember, the 4WD doesn't help you turn or stop ...

4WD definitely helps to stop and turn.

No. It doesn't. And, in fact, if you have a locked center diff or transfer case it reduces stability by causing the tires to rotate at the same speed even though they travel through different path lengths in a turn.

I've watched lots of folks wreck their 4WD trucks in slippery conditions because they thought 4WD helped them stop and turn...while I drove by in a RWD Volvo...that was equipped with 4 Hakkas.

For the OP, get 4 of the studless Nokians...when you feel the improved grip on your first slushy/nasty day, you'll wonder how you ever lived without them...

I do like the LRR aspect of the Hakkas, as the Jeep drinks gas fast enough as it is. The Blizzak DM-V1 looks good too, but I've always heard that they're very, very squishy on pavement.

Had the Blizzaks on my Expedition when I lived in Stowe, squishy, but great traction, including deep snow and slush. Hakkapelliittas were better on dry pavement...and the BFG ATs on my 4Runner were simply nowhere near as good as either the Hakkas or Blizzaks in the snow...

Hakkas cost...but you get what you pay for in this case...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

No. It doesn't. And, in fact, if you have a locked center diff or transfer case it reduces stability by causing the tires to rotate at the same speed even though they travel through different path lengths in a turn.

I've watched lots of folks wreck their 4WD trucks in slippery conditions because they thought 4WD helped them stop and turn...while I drove by in a RWD Volvo...that was equipped with 4 Hakkas.

For the OP, get 4 of the studless Nokians...when you feel the improved grip on your first slushy/nasty day, you'll wonder how you ever lived without them...

Well, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you and your 2WD Volvo.

People with their 4WD trucks wreck because they drive too fast, just like many others with all types of drivetrains.

My kid's Cherokee with a good set of AT's will drive circles around a RWD car (which is one wheel drive with an open diff) in a snow storm, regardless of tire. Last's years ice storm devastated our area. I live up on a large hill and guess what, only 4x4's drove past the house. My neighbor with a front drive Volvo didn't even make it 1/4 mile in. I pulled some home with my trail Jeep and those that didn't want a tug left their car at the vet down the street and I drove them home.

I have pretty good A/Ts on my Cherokee. I've never felt unsafe driving it in all sorts of weather conditions. I won't take the A/Ts off road because they're not aggressive enough for mud and they have a thin sidwall (P225/75R15), but they're decent enough in snow and ice.

I have used the 4x4 climbing some pretty snowy hills. Probably the most memorable was when we had to go to the hospital 50 miles away to see my Grandmother in a snowstorm. Everyone was off the road, but the Cherokee had no problem.

The *only* time I had a problem was when I first got the Jeep, I got stuck at an intersection. Could NOT get the 4wd lever to pull into 4hi. Darn open diffs.

I don't have lockers for mine yet, but a front locker is coming soon. Cherokees are so light in the rear that I'm not sure I'd benefit from a locker in the rear ... especially for mud stuff.

Last edited:
I don't have lockers for mine yet, but a front locker is coming soon. Cherokees are so light in the rear that I'm not sure I'd benefit from a locker in the rear ... especially for mud stuff.

Lockrights are pretty good. IIRC, the packet that comes with them indicated that 70% of your traction comes from the rear when climbing hills/obstacles. That number is probably + or - depending on the vehicle, but given the weight transfer during climbs, I agree. Of course, a front locker will pull you up stuff, but on the street (and under power), they can tend to steer straight. You can compensate by modulating the throttle. It's something you get used to.

A front locker should always be a selectable, IMO. You use it to get moving, then unlock it for improved steering.

In the snow, I've had no problem cruising along in 2wd (limited slip rear) while watching people in AWD Subies and such wipe out because they thought the AWD would save them from their [censored] tires or [censored] driving.

Good tires and good driving habits make snow travel doable safely. Sometimes a 4WD with good tires driven by an experienced driver is the only option to get through.

For around Rochester, NY, 30-40 years ago deep snow was far more common based on what my parents and relatives have said, and the pictures I've seen of winter after winter with 2+ feet of snow on the ground. These days it's nowhere near as much snow, and much more slush.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Well, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you and your 2WD Volvo.

People with their 4WD trucks wreck because they drive too fast, just like many others with all types of drivetrains.

My kid's Cherokee with a good set of AT's will drive circles around a RWD car (which is one wheel drive with an open diff) in a snow storm, regardless of tire. Last's years ice storm devastated our area. I live up on a large hill and guess what, only 4x4's drove past the house. My neighbor with a front drive Volvo didn't even make it 1/4 mile in. I pulled some home with my trail Jeep and those that didn't want a tug left their car at the vet down the street and I drove them home.

Drive rings around?

You missed the point with all the hill climbing examples. The Jeep with ATs will climb better than a 2WD with any kind of tire. That's physics, 4 wheels generating the force will be able to generate more force than 2 wheels.

But 4WD doesn't help you stop. And the wrecks were all from 4WD that failed to make a turn or failed to stop. And, as you might have guessed, they were running on all season or AT tires.

4WD doesn't repeal the laws of physics, the great traction of true winter tires on snow or ice or slush allows a vehicle to stop or turn more quickly. The brakes, after all, are acting on all 4 wheels.

Go visit Tire Rack and look at some of the testing on winter tires, they offer huge traction increases over all seasons, and the same vehicle stops far faster in slippery conditions with proper tires.

Press an accelerator with 4wd part time and tell me how it helps you turn. You go straight which means the 4wd does not help you turn with part-time 4wd. AWD could care less.

My only experience with AWD is Subaru with rear LSD with no electronics. The other is Acura MDX which uses the AWD as an extension of the stability control and works at stabilizing the vehicle to a degree directing 100% of rear torque to either left or right vehicle. However deep stuff the stability control system fights itself and finally I click disable and motor on.

AWD, FWD, RWD, 4wd is crazy to think any of them help you stop. The brakes do and they all have that. First common sense/driving skills and then tire traction wins. Advanced ABS does help sometimes on slippery stuff.

The only other that help save a driver is stability control. I am not sure how that could possibly work on a part-time 4wd vehicle and as a guess it gets disabled when engaged.

Zaedock, our argument is the stopping power of 4WD (or AWD) versus 2WD. You then go on to talk about the ability of 4WD to move through the snow. You've done nothing to convince us that 4WD can stop better than 2WD.

It's the brakes that do the stopping, not the torque through the axle. Both 4WD and 2WD have brakes on all four corners.

I got a good look at our snow tires today while shuffling them around. The amount of sipes each tire has is simply staggering. All those sipes make for more space for water/snow to be displaced into so the tire can grab the road. On ice, it's more edges to grab the ice with. The all-seasons on either car looked like racing slicks via comparing the number of tread blocks and sipes. The snow tires had more and smaller tread blocks with many more sipes, and larger voids in between the tread blocks. Again, more edges and more space to displace the snow/slush to.

When turning/braking, those smaller tread blocks and aggressive sipes put the car's weight onto a smaller area, helping the tire to evacuate loose snow/water and grip the underlying surface. More tire on the road surface equals more grip.

4WD might help get the tires gripping on acceleration by digging them through snow or into ice, thus generating friction. It will do nothing for turning/stopping since those functions are independent of engine power and dependent on the tire's ability to generate friction against the road surface. 4WD may help to slow down the rotation of the wheels via engine braking. That won't affect the vehicle if the tires can't generate friction against the road, ie, grip. I've seen a fair number of vehicles sliding down snowy hills with all 4 wheels stationary.

In short, no friction = no stop/turn. Tires generate friction, not engines.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

Zaedock, our argument is the stopping power of 4WD (or AWD) versus 2WD. You then go on to talk about the ability of 4WD to move through the snow. You've done nothing to convince us that 4WD can stop better than 2WD.

It's the brakes that do the stopping, not the torque through the axle. Both 4WD and 2WD have brakes on all four corners.

Actually, the arguement was stopping AND turning and I already discussed both.

You will slow better down shifting or coasting with a 4WD. As far as braking, ABS obviously helps all systems, but a 4WD will always have one front and one rear wheel locked together. There will always be one wheel on each axle offering controlled braking. In the case of lockers and AWD traction systems, you have even more controlled braking wheels. It may not be as apparent these days with ABS and traction control but the advantage is still there, however so slight in some instances.

Any off road or rally event (regardless of weather) I have been to, the AWD/4WD vehicles always have better lap times as they stop and turn better than their FWD or RWD counterparts. I have seen AND driven both.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

Let's look at this quick. I have done testing(more or less fooling around) with my own rigs in snow and ice.

Let's use my trail Jeep as an example. It has a spool in the rear and a locker in the front. If one wheel hits ice during braking, it will not lock up. It will still spin, just as fast at the other wheels.

I'm not trying to argue or cause distress or anything like that. Maybe the average Joe sees no difference, but I'm just explaining MY experience having driven just about every drive system known to man and I see 4WD/AWD having a distinct advantage to turning or stopping over a 2WD vehicle, espeically in racing or off road conditions.

This discussion reminded me of the sticker on my wife's ATV.

"With 4wd, operating any brake control causes braking at both front and rear wheels"

Maybe this better explains my logic in comparing 4WD to 2WD systems?

Also wanted to add and concur with what some of you posted that common sense and driving skill trump ANY drive system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back