Small Hatchbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adding another new car hunting thread to BITOG!
lol.gif

We are having more problems with our 2009 Hyundai Sonata, with the more significant recent issues being:

- failure to blow air to the feet.
- body seam rusting and leaking water into the cabin under the rear seat and into footwell.

So, I am on the lookout for a replacement vehicle.

We'd like a hatchback with four doors for utility. I realize these tend to be poor highway cruisers, but that's ok because my 1997 i30 is still our highway cruiser, and we need a short hop everyday use vehicle that's efficient and easy to drive.

Some of the choices on the market are:

- Honda Fit
- Mazda2 and Mazda3
- Toyota Yaris and Scion xD

I'm sure there are more, please add your suggestions.

This is a class of vehicle in which I'd love a manual transmission, but my wife will be the primary driver and she finds an automatic easier.

Having our four year old Hyundai with serious problems already, I long for something simple and reliable again. I appreciate your thoughts and insights.

You're barking up the right trees. Sorry to hear about your rust, I'd be mad too!

The 3 is in a different class than the others...if you can swing that then its a no brainer. I had one for 105,000 miles with no problems at all. Solid car. Good hwy cruiser.

The Fit is surprisingly roomy but it drives like any small Honda...you'll hear and feel every bump.

Don't know much about the Yotas.

Golf? It's available with a manual, if you can sway your wife that way.

Not sure if it meets your "efficient" criteria well enough though.

For a small hatch, the Ford Fiesta is by far my favorite. Those things get amazing gas mileage w/out trying.

Thanks for the quick info.

I should probably add that I am not keen to take my chances on a GDI engine yet. So that almost rules out the Focus and Mazda3.

Is the Fiesta the same core body as a Mazda2, with a different engine and interior?

I like my friend's 2006 VW Rabbit (2.5 with MT) that I drove a while back, but it doesn't really fit this category in my book - the price is higher and it drinks significantly more fuel. While something like a VW GTI is attractive to me, my wife doesn't care about sharp driving dynamics so the price (both purchase and ongoing ownership) is not worth it.

Mazda2 owner here. Wife primarily uses it. 2012 Auto trans, sport trim.

I do enjoy the driving experience. Wonderful steering.

Not a bad errand-running car at all.

Fuel economy could be better for a small, lightweight car. Those 100 hamsters under the hood are thirsty. Fuel tank is smallish. Mazda seems to treat it like a [censored] stepchild and with their current financial situation I don't know what the long term support will be for the car.

Gripes:
I miss variable intermittent wipers.
Door locks are activated by a center console switch which is inconvenient.
No armrest included, but add-ons are available.
0W-20 is recommended fill, even though as far as I can tell, the engine has been around for a while and 5W-20 should be fine. Seat belt chime is obnoxious and aggressive.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

I should probably add that I am not keen to take my chances on a GDI engine yet. So that almost rules out the Focus and Mazda3.

Is the Fiesta the same core body as a Mazda2, with a different engine and interior?

I like my friend's 2006 VW Rabbit (2.5 with MT) that I drove a while back, but it doesn't really fit this category in my book - the price is higher and it drinks significantly more fuel. While something like a VW GTI is attractive to me, my wife doesn't care about sharp driving dynamics so the price (both purchase and ongoing ownership) is not worth it.

Take a look at some of the UOAs posted here on the Focus: fuel dilution at least doesn't seem to be a problem. Plus, the Focus is actually a terrific highway cruiser. We're taking ours from Illinois to Utah this weekend.

I had a Fit before very good car and very fun to drive. I easily got 30 mpg in the city and almost 40 on the highway. The car is severely underrated as the mpg sticker says 27/33. But mine was a 5 speed manual not sure how the automatic fares. With that said, the car is a good city car but is very loud on the highway. Engine revs at over 3000 rpm at 70 mph. Cabin is a bit spartan but the space is incredible and the seats fold down completely flat and it hauls plenty of stuff. I would definitely test drive it on the highway to see if the noise is too much for you. It didn't bother me but I rarely drove on the highway.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

You can still get Mazda 3 hatch with 2.5 port injected engine. Only the Skyactiv model has direct injection.

Thank you for the first hand owner reviews above!

True, the Mazda3 hatch with a 2.5 is not GDI, but it is a heavy drinker.
wink.gif

The Fiesta looks interesting on paper, I'll have to look one over in person and drive it. Likewise the Fit and Yaris.

Fiesta would have to have a manual transmission, I'm not ready for a Ford dual clutch automatic.
lol.gif

My wife would drive a 5-speed manual if we have to go that way, but a 6-speed manual would be excessive nuisance.

Originally Posted By: jhMalibu
their current financial situation I don't know what the long term support will be for the car.

Care to tell what you mean by that RE: financial situation?

Q.

I've rented two yaris (yari?). They are surprisingly uncomfortable for medium to long trips (at least for me). Did well on snow though. The space is not bad for such a small car.

For DIY entertainment, here are open-hood pictures. Any speculation and/or experience on difficulty of DIY endeavors?

2011 Ford Fiesta:
2011-ford-fiesta-engine.jpg

2010 Toyota Yaris:
2010-toyota-yaris-engine.jpg

2010 Honda Fit:
2010-honda-fit-engine.jpg

Pretty hard to ignore the Focus SEL. Terrific value and offers standard features that aren't even standard on a 5-series.

No comments on the other 2 but for fit you'll have to (a) you'll have to spend more effort to replace spark plugs with the newer fit (leaned a bit more into the compartment console, under the plastic) ; (b) anticipate a valve lash adjustment every 45k (approx. YMMV) which takes approx. 2hrs (give and take) + intake manifold gasket + new VC gasket; (c) that lawnmower sized battery is a bit costly to replace (151R), but otherwise: it's only 18lbs so easy to service.

Q.

Quest, thanks for the Fit servicing feedback!

If anyone wonders why the Versa isn't on the list, here is the #1 reason. In Lexington, we have:

Glenn Nissan
Glenn Hyundai

They are next door to each other. Given my inexcusably bad experience with Glenn Hyundai Service, and friend's similarly bad experiences with Glenn Nissan Service (he told me this before I bought the Hyundai, I brushed it aside at my peril) I want to wash my hands of the Glenn Auto Group altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back