Small Hatchbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Mazda 3 is more fun and in some respects more solidly engineered/built than many of its competitors, but it does have some downsides too.

A/C in the 3 is weak and hardly able to keep up in hot climates. You may want to choose lighter colors for the paint and interior, or look into tint. I've never been to KY, but I imagine temps get up to the 90s in the summer. Maybe Mazda resolved this with the current generation, but all of the 3s in my family had barely adequate A/C from the factory.

Mazda has also cut a few corners in materials that are mostly apparent on the interior. My mom's '08 already has frayed seat belts, frayed seat fabric, and wear to the carpet. She is not hard on interiors, but the car is already showing wear from normal day to day use that you would expect to see on a 10+ year old car. On the other hand though, most of the plastics in the car look/feel nice and seem to be put together well, it's just the fabrics that are lacking. I haven't seen other cars in the class with significantly better looking interiors, and most are worse.

The third issue, and probably the biggest that I have noticed with the 3, is Mazda's horrendous dealer network. A Mazda dealer that can stay open more than a few months without a name change, or being absorbed into some other 3rd tier brand's dealer, or just becoming a used car lot is an anomaly. The dealer where my sister bought her 3 new in 2006 closed down shortly afterwards, and there were no alternates in a reasonable distance. Before the dealer closed for good she did stock up on filters for the car and luckily it hasn't really needed much aside from routine maintenance. My mom took her 3 in to the dealer for its very first oil change...and they left the oil cap off, on a brand new car. Oil sprayed everywhere under the hood, and who knows what kind of dirt got into the engine. The dealer only offered another oil change and replacing the oil cap they lost. Mazda USA offered a $100 gift card towards Mazda accessories. I think offering an extended warranty to cover any damage caused by the gross incompetence would have been better, but they weren't having any of that. My mom had planned on never going back to the dealer for anything, but then received a recall notice for the power steering system, so she took the car in since the next closest dealer was an hour and a half away. Guess what...they botched the power steering recall too! The car ended up having the recall performed a second time at the dealer an hour and a half away. It now goes to an independent shop that specializes in Japanese cars and has a good reputation. Mazda is a good brand with an extremely slimy and incompetent dealer network that should probably stick to selling used cars, but wants a new car brand to look legit.

Aside from these issues though, they are great cars. Wonderful driving dynamics compared to most run of the mill compacts, responsive engines and transmissions, good build quality, reliable, and useful/sensible designs. If they had a decent dealer network and good A/C they'd be hard to beat.

I was just under the impression that Mazda wasn't doing very well financially and stands a chance (small, large, I don't know) of not being around in the future.

01rangerxl, thank you!

Regarding dealers, here in Lexington we have Paul Miller Ford and Paul Miller Mazda next door to each other.

Yes, it does get hot and humid here in the summer. And I'm not fond of dark window tints even though I appreciate how they reduce heat in the car.

Reading your mom's experience with her Mazda dealer is similar to an incident this friend of mine told me about Glenn Nissan service here in Lexington. I should have listened! I hope in vain that they will do something about the rust, or extend the rust warranty a bit, but it's hopeless. They just slopped on some body sealer to stop water from entering the cabin.

Yes, it is still under the 5/60 warranty, that is the only reason I took it to the dealer again.

At least they acknowledged the leak! It began just over a week ago, and qualified as an urgent problem to me.

The service writer told me the floor vents work, like we can't tell we've had freezing toes and hot upper body since it failed in early January, and it worked fine before that. Can't they just put a hand down there and choose different climate control positions with the blower fan running? Another case of problem denial from Hyundai service.
sick.gif

Elantra GT manual, someone here posted a good review on his recent purchase.

I found the Focus Hatchback to be misleading, at least for my 6 foot 300lb frame. it is cramped inside, and not very utilitarian.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Quest, thanks for the Fit servicing feedback!

If anyone wonders why the Versa isn't on the list, here is the #1 reason. In Lexington, we have:

Glenn Nissan
Glenn Hyundai

They are next door to each other. Given my inexcusably bad experience with Glenn Hyundai Service, and friend's similarly bad experiences with Glenn Nissan Service (he told me this before I bought the Hyundai, I brushed it aside at my peril) I want to wash my hands of the Glenn Auto Group altogether.

Good thing about the Fit is that the forum they have FitFreak is active and has a bunch of DIY guides. Supposedly, the spark plug interval is 105K miles so you won't have to do them that often. Valve adjustment are a big topic on there if you care to do some reading on it.

We are having more problems with our 2009 Hyundai Sonata, with the more significant recent issues being:

- failure to blow air to the feet.
- body seam rusting and leaking water into the cabin under the rear seat and into footwell.

So, I am on the lookout for a replacement vehicle.

When I bought my Sonata, the Mazda 3 was also on my list. I also test drove a Versa and liked it, but didn't like that it had no arm rest. I don't know if other trim levels do have arms rests.

I think your list is pretty good. I say test drive them, see what dealer offers you the best price locally and go from there.

Do any of the vehicles in question have timing belts, or are they all timing chains? If any have belts, what's the replacement interval?

Side note - don't take this the wrong way, but I'm actually glad to see another person who hasn't been happy with their Sonata. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. My 2007 has had a lot of problems and I'm starting to think it's a piece of junk. I definitely regret buying it and I'll think twice before buying a Hyundai/Kia vehicle in the future.

Thanks adolan32. Having an active DIY forum for a vehicle is very helpful. I know information on maxima.org has helped me with my aging i30, and there are a few helpful members still there.
wink.gif

Forums I found for our Sonata were rather useless for DIY, members seemed to be people who bought them new, kept them a few years, then moved on. When someone with an early version in the NF generation did a write up on some procedure, instead of thanks other members would respond childishly that they don't do such work on their car, you should just take it to a shop.

stephen9666, I understand what you mean.

Forums I found for our Sonata were rather useless for DIY, members seemed to be people who bought them new, kept them a few years, then moved on.

Yes, not a lot of competent DIY'ers on the Hyundai forums I've seen, but they do exist.

I actually made DIY tutorials on Hyundai-forums on how to change the oil control valve and how to change the sun visor. These are common problems, so I would have thought they would have already existed.

You might be scared of the dual clutch transmission in the Fiesta but it is the only automated transmission I have driven that I like. I can't comment on the stick, but I know the fiesta owners that have them like them.

With the dual clutch transmission, 42-43 MPGs at 70-75 MPH is common.

What about a Sonic? No one has mentioned that yet.

The last Mazda 3 I was in I was a little less than impressed with the interior. A lot of hard plastic, the door panels were coming apart, and the carpet was very cheap - it was really low pile like the stuff you would find in a trunk.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
What about a Sonic? No one has mentioned that yet.

This is another good choice. I like this model and I've read good things about its driving dynamics, but I personally haven't driven one.

First, I would suggest looking at a Scion XD as well. Very simple car, IMO.

For DIY entertainment, here are open-hood pictures. Any speculation and/or experience on difficulty of DIY endeavors?

2011 Ford Fiesta:
2011-ford-fiesta-engine.jpg

2010 Toyota Yaris:
2010-toyota-yaris-engine.jpg

2010 Honda Fit:
2010-honda-fit-engine.jpg

The Yaris and Fit are not bad at all. Very easy for DIY maintenance. Drive belts on the Yaris and Fit are both easy, even though they look hard. Fluid and filter changes are both easy, though ATF fill is a bit difficult on the Fit. The Yaris has a tendency to wear out its drive belt quickly from my experience with them, which I attribute to the lack of a real belt tensioner. No valve adjustment is needed on the Yaris, but is on the Fit. If the Yaris is like any other Toyota, the shocks/struts will probably "feel" marginal before 75k, while the Honda ones seem to do a bit better.

Originally Posted By: jhMalibu
I was just under the impression that Mazda wasn't doing very well financially and stands a chance (small, large, I don't know) of not being around in the future.

Most "second-tier" automakers have the financial backing of a larger automaker. For instance, Nissan is backed by Renault. Once Ford sold Mazda, I think there's a legitimate concern about its survival in the US market.

Volvo C30 is too upscale for us
wink.gif
and we want four doors.
We're looking for something simple and reliable.

Critic, thank you for the DIY maintenance feedback.
cheers3.gif

I hope to have some time to go to dealers one day next week.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
First, I would suggest looking at a Scion XD as well. Very simple car, IMO.

The xD is an odd looking car. The seating positon is weird and it looks like they saw the instrument cluster of a 1979 Prelude and said, "That's where we'll put the tach... In the speedometer!

But if you can get used to the way it looks and the seating position, it should do pretty well.

If you don't mind pre-owned, you can get some really good buys on PTs, HHRs, and Kia Souls. The HHR and PT are going to get less mpg but have huge cargo capacity and parts are readily availiable. PT Cruiser has a timing belt and it is a pain to service. I'm not doing it again until mine hits 200,000.

For a few bucks more you can get a Scion xB. I prefer the older boxier 1.5 xB but the new one should be reliable.

The Versa hatch has a lot of space for the size of the car. The back seat actually feels comfortable for me and I'm around 6' tall. Since it's been around for so long I'm sure you can find a good deal, and I think it's getting replaced next year.

Also, the Toyota Matrix. Or the Vibe if you're also shopping used.

Last edited:
Honda Fit.
If you value cargo space its got more of it than a Focus ever will (minus a wagon version which we don't have anymore)

The Fit is HUGE inside, and the Focus has a horrible back seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back