Small Ford F-150 "discovery" today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned from B.J's (like a Costco).
I said hello to a man loading his 4 door F-150 by asking if his had the aluminum box.
He said the entire body was aluminum. "Everything but the frame" , he said.
He added that it was a 2015 built at year's end.

Is he accurate? I heard about and spoke to a Ford dealer a year or two ago and the aluminum box was mentioned.
No mention of the entire body being aluminum was made.

What gives?

F-150 has had the aluminum body and box for a while. Superduty got it in 2017. All in an effort to lighten up the package and increase towing capacity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series#Thirteenth_generation_(2015–present)

"In the interest of fuel economy, Ford designers reduced curb weight of the F-150 by nearly 750 pounds, without physically altering its exterior footprint. To allow for such a massive weight reduction, nearly every body panel was switched from steel to aluminum (with the exception of the firewall); the frame itself remains high-strength steel."

Compare the fuel economy numbers of the 2014 models to the 2015. They dropped and nothing else substantial changed (same engines, same transmissions, etc).

Yeah the doors are aluminum too. You can tell because they're wavy like the ocean, they look like they were formed by Stevie Wonder.

Originally Posted By: MParr
The whole body is aluminum alloy. It ain’t beer cans.
Military grade Aluminum! What ever that is!!!

Kira life is so amazing.
grin.gif

Don't know about aluminum in those trucks.

But there are quite a few super strong hulled boats made out of aluminum, primarily in the northwest and Alaska. Perhaps those hulls use aluminum that is much thicker than used for Ford trucks.

Mine is all Al. I've posted a couple of times on it. It doesn't have the dent resistance of steel, but its a great truck. I'll use it, and in the end it will be dented some like my old one, and that's ok. I really like the mpg.

IMO nothing good comes from burning fuel. 1. obvious tailpipe stuff. 2. whereever we drill it, the surrounding areas suffer. Usually we make it someone elses problem. Water quality, etc.. now it's domestic too. 3. when we buy it foreign, that's money that goes to folks who don't neccessarily like us, our soldiers, and our country. Why support them?

-m

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: CT8
Kira life is so amazing.
grin.gif

And comical in all he posts
smile.gif

It is like he has been in a doomsday bunker for the last 10 years and cut off from the real world, or he is a troll.

No normal thinking person would have even started this topic when it could have been answered in minutes from a simple Google search.

Wait until he discovers we landed on the moon.

g1359320615258875929.jpg

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Don't know about aluminum in those trucks.

But there are quite a few super strong hulled boats made out of aluminum, primarily in the northwest and Alaska. Perhaps those hulls use aluminum that is much thicker than used for Ford trucks.

I got to see one of those boats being made by a company up in Northern Canada called Risley Man. I even got to ride in it! Pretty amazing, we were climbing rock dams and beaver dams and hitting all kinds of [censored]. It was jet powered by a 6.2L marine engine. I think it was 1" thick plate on the bottom if I remember right.

Much ado about nuttin'.

The huge ad campaign by Ford regarding aluminum was mostly hype, as their trucks were already far heavier than the competition.

And frankly it's a huge non issue for most owners, they don't care.

But being familiar with body shop operation I feel that repairs must be more expensive. You need dedicated tools and some expertise to repair those panels...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back