Sludge or Chocolate Fudge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: element_42
yowza that is horrible. 8700miles on a brand new engine? didnt know toyota of all companies could be so clueless about how to build a decent motor. imagine if it was an american car, people would be hootin and hollerin about how janky and 'old tech' their engines are. pshaw!

Where have you been for the last decade??? Toyota has been hammered mercilessly for their overagressive design in this engine. Apparently, later MZ series V-6s had the sludge generating tendencies cured, but there are a whole bunch of vehicles out there that are vulnerable. Somehow, it seems that the late 90s Siennas were the worst. I owned an 01 V-6 Highlander which was in the "sludge zone" but my maintenance practices kept anything bad from happening.

Originally Posted By: tig1
My daughter had a 99 Lexus 3.0. I changed the oil for her using M1 10-30. She sold it with 85,000 miles and as far as I know there wasn't sludge in it. 10,000 OCI.

Two thoughts. First, you used M1. I first caught wind of the sludge question when I still owned the Highlander. I confronted the manager of the dealer svc department about it. It's a long story, but he already understood I was not a customer who might be buffalo-ed with nonsense. He pulled me into his office and said something like, "look, it's a good engine, but watch it. Just use Mobil-1, and change it every 5000 miles, and you'll be fine."

I did and I was.

Second, as with many Toyota engines, the MZs have a baffle that blocks the view into the critical parts of the engine. You may well have had an issue developing, and never been able to see it.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
8,700 miles? Even without an oil change that should not have happened.

Agreed, that is screwed up engineering of some type. Is this a GM/Toyota joint venture?

The engine bay looks too crusty for a 8,700 mile car. And the intake manifold is all rusted. I'd say that car as about 50,000 miles on it with no oil changes.

...so Fudge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
The engine bay looks too crusty for a 8,700 mile car. And the intake manifold is all rusted. I'd say that car as about 50,000 miles on it with no oil changes.

You're overlooking the possibility of a "grannycar" -- you know the one that's driven a couple thousand a year. Short trips and long-ish time -- bad combo.

It reminds me of my friends' dad who works at a local Ford Dealership. He was telling a story of how several times over the years some rather ingnorant inner city folk would be complaing of various engine issues. He would check it out and see that the car would still be on the the factory fill after tens of thousands of miles. Of course they didnt realize that you had to do something to the car other then put gas in it. And abuse like this voided the warranty. But anyway he told stories of the sludge forming much like these Toyota pics..

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: sunfire

You're overlooking the possibility of a "grannycar" -- you know the one that's driven a couple thousand a year. Short trips and long-ish time -- bad combo.

You never ever want to buy a very low mileage car in South Florida.

That is my take...dino would not go that bad in 8700 within 1 year. No way. Bee Ess flag thrown.

Just use Mobil-1, and change it every 5000 miles, and you'll be fine."

I have had 4 Toyota engines (3 now) 3 of them V-6. 5w30 syn oil changed at 5000 miles and you will never have a problem. Extended dino OCI's are what cause trouble.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikered30
I call [censored] on the mileage.

i noticed how rusty the exhaust manifold was----my car is older and does not have that.... they must have driven like [censored] and never changed the factory fill

I would have to guess that this is a very lightly driven car. As in, only driven 1-2 miles a day for a few years with no oil changes obviously. The oil probably never gets up to operating temps. Probably in a pretty variable climate with really warm summers and really cold winters.

Last edited:
It is pretty obvious from looking at the pictures that the vehicle has more than the miles stated in the article. The tip off would be the exhaust manifold, surface corrosion to valve covers, dirt build-up around areas, and many other glaring discrepancies.

I am not saying it is not possible for what is pictured to happen. It is just that what I see in the picture makes me very suspicious.

what about oxidation? maybe thats why some of these sludger engines are not seeing this problem and some of them are because of the wide varience in how different oils can handle oxidation?

I would say it is 87,000, not 8700 miles.

I found this email for Qslim who apparently took the pictures. Maybe you can ask him if it is correct:

........"qslim"
wrote:.............

I could say a a few things here and mention another brand but until I can 100% verify the facts I'll abstain. I've learn't a few things in the last week which floored me, and I do a lot of research. As they say "you learn something every day, and the older I get the truer it get's"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back