Sludge cleanup MMO experience + 25% MPG, no kidding

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I do not believe in using oil additives as a general practice, MMO has its place.
I had a neglected Chevy pickup with a 305 small block. I tried a couple 3000 mile runs with synthetic oil, it seemed to be doing some cleaning, but still had valve noise from clogged up hydraulic lifters. I dumped in 1 quart of MMO during the last 4-500 miles of an oil change , and the lifter noise was gone and never returned.
The oil came out pitch black, so it was apparent some cleaning was happening.

Not saying MMO is a miracle, but can work well as a mild cleaner in a dirty, neglected engine.

Originally Posted by cronk

Not saying MMO is a miracle, but can work well as a mild cleaner in a dirty, neglected engine.

My thoughts too, and your MPG increased when sludge was out I imagine

hers' my filter after 2500 with 1 qt MMO 5 cheap 10w 30 Syn

Now running 10w40 Valvoline Premium Blue Will for 3 k and check the filter. If all is good another 3k?

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jssaab
Originally Posted by cronk

My thoughts too, and your MPG increased when sludge was out I imagine

hers' my filter after 2500 with 1 qt MMO 5 cheap 10w 30 Syn

Now running 10w40 Valvoline Premium Blue Will for 3 k and check the filter. If all is good another 3k?

[Linked Image]

If you open up the pleats you may see quite a bit of junk that came loose.

Yeah you can see the bits on the bottom edge of the filter. I will look to see if more come off whit the HEDO

Yep, my bet is there's more inside.

I'm thinking to remove the filter at 3K miles and look at the filter and see what 3k with HDEO loosens up, add MMO again at that time ( mostly to p!ss off all the MMO haters) and run for 500 and see if the amount is appreciably more in that 500 mile time period, I may even think of some way to quantify it as well, if I still care in 3 months

Last edited:
Yeah you can see the bits on the bottom edge of the filter. I will look to see if more come off whit the HEDO

You're doing good I'd say. Keep us posted and thanks for very informative results sir
smile.gif

cheers3.gif

I think this makes sense..even though mmo is not as strong as kreen, it is still effective in certain kind of sludge. At least this better than kero that may swell rubber beyond normal and will need replacement

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

You're doing good I'd say. Keep us posted and thanks for very informative results sir
smile.gif

cheers3.gif

+1

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

smile.gif

cheers3.gif

Agreed. The OP detailing everything he's done along the way makes for a great testimonial. A safe and economical way to cleaning out a dirty engine.

Nicely done jssaab. ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Hmm ... 224 miles 10W40 only and gas mileage is back down to 26mpg ... Maybe the 28 on the MMO was an anomaly but better than the 22 before hand. It maybe just the thinner grade of oil. Time will tell

this is a controlled drive.

Seriously,I travel 224 miles non-stop from my place in Philadelphia to my beach house in Connecticut every week. I leave at 3:00 am and put the cruise on 78 MPH ( I figure police might notice if I go over 80, dumb thinking but it makes me feel better. ) arrive at 6:30 AM. Avg 64 mph.

And when I say 78 MPH the whole way I mean 78 mph the entire way, It take toll booths and entrance ramps at 78 or dang close to it, and only slow down for truck from time to time for a few minutes until I can pass. It takes me 3h 30min door to door. Temp has been pretty consistent on my drives as well ( 34-36 degrees F) I am 4 miles from each door to the highway, so only 4 miles of back roads ( but I do not stop at any stop signs or traffic lights on the way ( unless I see headlights anywhere in the vicinity, which is rare in those areas at that time in the morning.

Most nerve wracking is driving though NYC across the Geo Washington bridge and the cross-bronx expressway, lots of crazies (like me ) in those areas.I am 10 o'clock/six o'clock on the wheel and super focused

Next drive is next Monday, I will report again....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zorobabel
Is the wind and ambient temperature just as controlled?

I'm not God... but ambient has been 32-34 each trip. Weather on the east coast has been quite static. I will take a note of wind readings next time but my wet finger said no or light winds....

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Flashpoint of MMO is 128F, maybe most of it evaporated and the oil thickened up.

No I changed to 100% 5w-30 Valvoline Blue

Hmm ... 224 miles 10W40 only and gas mileage is back down to 26mpg ... Maybe the 28 on the MMO was an anomaly but better than the 22 before hand. It maybe just the thinner grade of oil. Time will tell

this is a controlled drive.

Seriously,I travel 224 miles non-stop from my place in Philadelphia to my beach house in Connecticut every week. I leave at 3:00 am and put the cruise on 78 MPH ( I figure police might notice if I go over 80, dumb thinking but it makes me feel better. ) arrive at 6:30 AM. Avg 64 mph.

And when I say 78 MPH the whole way I mean 78 mph the entire way, It take toll booths and entrance ramps at 78 or dang close to it, and only slow down for truck from time to time for a few minutes until I can pass. It takes me 3h 30min door to door. Temp has been pretty consistent on my drives as well ( 34-36 degrees F) I am 4 miles from each door to the highway, so only 4 miles of back roads ( but I do not stop at any stop signs or traffic lights on the way ( unless I see headlights anywhere in the vicinity, which is rare in those areas at that time in the morning.

Most nerve wracking is driving though NYC across the Geo Washington bridge and the cross-bronx expressway, lots of crazies (like me ) in those areas.I am 10 o'clock/six o'clock on the wheel and super focused

Good job!

Well did not drive the car on Monday, wheel bearing is going bad. I will update when I get that straightened

I am driving my Jaguar now and will start a thread about doing an engine clean on that one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back