Skipping a meal

Most medical professionals will say that skipping meals is not a good thing to do.

I don't know how much truth there is really to it. I've heard if it's done in a controlled manner as part of a specific diet regimen, it may be OK. Personally, I never skip meals as I can't function properly if I do. As a matter of fact, I eat about 5 smaller meals in a day.

Growing up grandparents pounded into my brother and my head the importance of eating 3 good meals.

Listening to your grandparents is always a good thing. It could be this advice came from a time in their lives when 3 meals a day weren't always available and you shouldn't pass up food now because there might not be any later?

Personally I don't believe in Brunch because it usually means you get cheated out of either breakfast or lunch!

The three meals a day is a luxury created by the well fed, now over fed West. A large number of us - self included - never let the body go into starvation mode to burn the calories accumulated (much needed fat reserves). There is always a meal 3 hours away and we keep preventing the process. You can compliment with workouts, but it takes extra time, planning and a strong commitment.
There is nothing wrong with skipping a meal or two. Most could survive a month or more with the fuel we already have in reserve.
Dr. Steven Gundry goes into great detail about this subject in his book the Energy Paradox.

anyone regularly fast for 24hrs as part of normal life? I did this by accident recently for lab blood draw and was surprised I wasn't "dying of hunger" it was more just the boredom factor and having to watch others eating... I know several people who had used this as a weight loss technique

I fast every night for 18 hours and I feel great. It's was hard at first but you get used to it and it helps with weight control/loss too. I'm sure there are other health benefits too.

Last edited:
Skip structured meals and meal times and eat when you are really hungry.

1,2,3,4.... or 6 meals a day depends on whether I'm toiling in industry or chilling on the sofa.

I don't purposely eat or fast.

I eat breakfast, main meal at noon, and just a very light snack around 5 in the evening.

anyone regularly fast for 24hrs as part of normal life? I did this by accident recently for lab blood draw and was surprised I wasn't "dying of hunger" it was more just the boredom factor and having to watch others eating... I know several people who had used this as a weight loss technique

I just had to do a clear liquid diet for 24 hours before surgery and that consisted of some popsicles and a few bowls of broth. It ended up being about 48 hours before I ate due to the late surgery start time. I agree 100% that it wasn’t that bad, more the routine/boredom than actual hunger. I have about 15-20 lbs I could lose so there’s enough there for almost a month if a pound of fat is 3500 calories.

Most medical professionals will say that skipping meals is not a good thing to do.

I don't know how much truth there is really to it. I've heard if it's done in a controlled manner as part of a specific diet regimen, it may be OK. Personally, I never skip meals as I can't function properly if I do. As a matter of fact, I eat about 5 smaller meals in a day.
Medical, professionals advise will kill you before anything else will kill you. Medical people regurgitate what they have been taught right of wrong. For example diabetics are told to eat a certain amount of carbs. Carbs cause diabetes "type2"

Last edited:
It's not how MANY meals you eat a day, it's how MUCH (calories) you eat a day. Usually if you skip one, you tend to make it up on the next one by eating more than usual.
i'd add, calories in and calories out its what matters, math is an exact science, doesn't lie

i'd add, calories in and calories out its what matters, math is an exact science, doesn't lie
Number matter I know mine.
20210124_111420.jpg

Actually...
Newer studies are looking at when you eat those calories. Timing/fast is actually a factor.
While you may not lose weight vs non IF (intermittent fasting) with the same caloric intake, there may be additional benefits (studies are needed in humans)

Scientists attribute many of the positive effects of IF to something called metabolic switching—after 10 or 12 hours of fasting, the body depletes its supply of glycogen (a stored form of glucose) and starts burning ketones (a fuel made from fat by the liver). This switch affects growth factors, immune signals and other chemicals. “But ketones are not the whole story,” Mattson says. “These periods of fasting-eating-fasting-eating activate genes and signaling pathways that make neurons more resilient,” he says, mainly based on animal research. “It stimulates a process called autophagy: the cells go into a stress-resistance and recycling mode where they get rid of damaged proteins.” Mattson likens cycles of fasting and eating to exercise and rest: “Your muscles don't get bigger during exercise; they get bigger during the recovery.”

We sure didn't evolve with always having an abundance of calories at the ready, and we also had much more daily activity vs current humans. I think IF is a good "diet" or lifestyle that makes sense for many people. I don't think it will be a trend like Atkins or Keto / etc.
At the least, forcing yourself to fast when it might be uncomfortable (it gets easier) is great for excerpting some will power and denying yourself the easy way out of grabbing a snack at any moment. Black coffee is my breakfast for most days - any calories disrupts the fast.
This morning I'm having cookies with my coffee, so I don't stick to it daily - everything in moderation to keep oneself happy.
IF got me to quickly drop weight and get back down to my high school weight which I had never been at since then. And I've always been active / "in-shape". Dropping 10-15 lbs helps in all of those activities, though, that's for sure.

Intermittent fasting, very important

I skip breakfast

Every individual's body reacts differently. Some like Astro need that AM meal others can go a long time without having a traditional breakfast. When I am at my healthiest and on a steady schedule; I've found cutting out food by 6pm-8pm mark, bed by 10pm, awake at 5am and not eating until 8AM-10AM works well for me. That's a 12-14 hour intermittent fast.

Since I've been doing this I found that cold oats with a fruit (often banana or apple but strawberries and blueberries sometimes) around 8am can take me to 2pm without feeling hunger or fatigue. This is also dependent upon water intake for me. I need a lot of water.

Most people if not all should focus on their calorie intake and the correct number to be at a healthy weight not how many times you eat or when. Unfortunately the vast majority are clueless on how many calories they eat or need to be eating.

For me, I find it's more than just calorie in and burning calories. I grew up on a farm and traditional big breakfasts and BIG dinners was the norm. If given the chanve I'd have most of my daily calories at dinner. That does not work well for me. Spread the calories out wisely makes me feel a lot better and I sleep better as well.

We sure didn't evolve with always having an abundance of calories at the ready, and we also had much more daily activity vs current humans.
Them Cro-Magnon didn’t spend a Sunday morning debating calories intake on BITOG...Mammoths had to be hunted 🤣

Back