Since Amsoil is so good, why doesn't every1 use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my MPV back from my mechanic, had the trans and diffs switched to amsoil. he thought that was cool, he was very pleased with how well the flush came out. from the way he was talking, they seem to do a lot of synthetic change-outs. my MPV is now full amsoil, 'cept for the transfer case (forgot to order the 2 qts I need; different lube than the diffs).
anyway, I use amsoil because:
1. it's a high quality product
2. it's a small american company
3. it's not sold in w*l-m*rt (I can't bring myself to spell it)
4. it makes me feel good

why doesn't everyone use it?
1. they can't be bothered
2. you can't buy it at w*l-m*rt
3. they don't care
4. they have some bias against them
5. "my car needs oil?"

the great thing about a free market economy is choices. there are a lot of different ways to do the same thing. one isn't always better than another. there are many different paths to the same conclusion.

Originally Posted By: Louie's gone fishing
Re: Since Amsoil is so good, why doesn't every 1 use it?

High price and poor marketplace availabity are two main reasons why sales remain low.

I use it (ASL).... but it's price doesn't justify my 6K OCIs. So I will return to a less expensive synthetic oil in 2009. I may move down to to the Group III XL - if I can find it at Valvoline/Castrol/Pennzoil-pricing.

i dont use the motor oil but i dang sure use the ATF and diffy gear oils! why?? they last longer. imo better lubricant also.. to me the gear boxes and tranny takes more of a beating over time than motors do. so therefore they get the good stuff. my motor gets a syn thats on sale or maxlife, penzoil or durablend. i dont run over 5500 mile oci's

I don't run it because I'm not interested in OCIs long enough to warrant the significant extra cost.

I change at 5,000 miles and that's that.

Quote:
High price and poor marketplace availabity are two main reasons why sales remain low.

So you have this graph of Amsoil sales that all here would like to see?

In the real news, Amsoil sales are doing great. If the big boys had year over year sales increases even close to Amsoil, then they would be doing pretty good!

Sure Pennzoil, Mobil, Castrol have overall market share, but some of these guys shunned synthetic oil, too! (and are trying to get synthetic market share back.....OOPS!)

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
the times i have ordered amsoil products, has always been there within 3 days waiting on the doorstep as i slowly walk from the car, rubbing my hands together, thinking about the good times my car and I are gonna have as i slowly unscrew the drain plug and watch her oily goodness drain from her bowels and I wipe down the old oil filter getting ready to change her out and refill with new fresh stuff knowing I am massaging her insides and gonna take good care of her...

Should I go on?

This has to be one of the greater BITOG posts I've ever seen.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: mpvue
I use amsoil because:
1. it's a high quality product
2. it's a small american company
3. it's not sold in w*l-m*rt (I can't bring myself to spell it)
4. it makes me feel good

why doesn't everyone use it?
1. they can't be bothered
2. you can't buy it at w*l-m*rt
3. they don't care
4. they have some bias against them
5. "my car needs oil?"

Thanks mpvue

I read on here that M-1 5W30 was the only oil to not leave deposits in the turbo of the Acura RDX. I put M-1 5W30 in my vehicle and run it until the maint minder flashes 5000 ticks later.

+1 Many people use AMSOIL and I've found it's easier to find than any oil at Walmart. Many dealers stock it and it's just a matter of making the trip over to pick it up any day you want. As for cost I don't think you can find a better motor oil for the price. By the case 5w-30 ASL PAO/Ester comes out to $5.75 a qt. Find anything that compares to that at Walmart. I've seen synthetics not as good cost more. Schaeffer's (pour the green oil) #9003 9000 PAO/III Micron Moly and Penetro 5w-30 I can get in 2 days delievered to my doorstep. By the case with tax and shipping the average is $6.50+ a qt. Less if you order $300 or more product.

When I see AMSOIL at the auto parts store for 7-9 bucks a qt I cannot understand why people don't just look on BITOG or in the phone book and buy it much cheaper. Many people don't want to spend time doing the research.

Cost effective? Depends on where you live. You use gasoline traveling to the nearest store to buy 3-8 quarts right? Every 3-5K miles? What about your personal time? Is it worth something? You can have both products delivered to your doorstep and with little effort store it on the shelf.

1. I don't like MLM companies. The BITOG Amsoil sellers are good guys though and almost make up for the other azzhats peddling Amsoil.

This i hear a lot and you can choose who to deal with. If it's good motor oil and Mr Richard Wick on the street corner has it in stock, I'm going to buy it.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Thanks for a level headed answer, buster. Some of this seems to me to be a bit silly.

Hopefully most would realize that in my case it was intentional!
Being silly can still be about making a point too.

Just my 2 cents. I thought about Amsoil as I was researching oil for my VW TDI (diesel). If you want your warranty to cover repairs, the oil must have VW's certification as to VW 505.01 standards. The only way to get that certification was to submit a sample, plus $$$, to VW for testing. If the sample met the criteria, VW sends a letter and adds the product to their approved list.

One of the AMSOIL dealers on another forum kept insisting that AMSOIL's product "meets or exceeds" VW 505.01, yet no sample had ever been sent to VW for testing. This person kept insisting that it was OK to use this oil and that AMSOIL's warranty would cover repairs.

Well, the terms "meets or exceeds" are just marketing terms and somewhat misleading, at that. Several oil companies list their products with the "meets or exceeds" language, but do not have the approval to back up the claim.

Considering the long list of products which have been tested by VW and received the certification letter, I chose not to do business with companies who use marketing terms which mislead consumers.

if Amsoil is so good why isn't everyone using it?
wish I got .2 cents everytime I heard that remark.
it is really hard to do the math, lets see h,mmmm
Amsoil cost 3x more last 8/10 times longer than dino oil.
yup voodoo economics, oh and that MLM thing thats a scam too.
so cheaper last longer that cant be, oh and I forgot most people get 50 miles extra per fill up of GAS using Amsoil.
yes using Amsoil cost less to use, so I will stick with ARAB store oil cause at $2 a quart of SA SB oil is a steal and it is really good for my engine cause more people use that stuff
57.gif

Originally Posted By: Fahrfuwerfuelen
Just my 2 cents. I thought about Amsoil as I was researching oil for my VW TDI (diesel). If you want your warranty to cover repairs, the oil must have VW's certification as to VW 505.01 standards. The only way to get that certification was to submit a sample, plus $$$, to VW for testing. If the sample met the criteria, VW sends a letter and adds the product to their approved list.

One of the AMSOIL dealers on another forum kept insisting that AMSOIL's product "meets or exceeds" VW 505.01, yet no sample had ever been sent to VW for testing. This person kept insisting that it was OK to use this oil and that AMSOIL's warranty would cover repairs.

Well, the terms "meets or exceeds" are just marketing terms and somewhat misleading, at that. Several oil companies list their products with the "meets or exceeds" language, but do not have the approval to back up the claim.

Considering the long list of products which have been tested by VW and received the certification letter, I chose not to do business with companies who use marketing terms which mislead consumers.

I'll bet you your warranty wont be an issue with oil samples done every 20,000 miles, there is no way, unless the manufacture supplies the oil for free, that the manufacture can dictate what lube is in your crankcase, until you screw it up.
the manufacture dictating oil brands, sounds like companies who use marketing terms which mislead consumers.

Thats right 02! I don't need any oil, but just got back from OReilly's and bought a case of Pennzoil yellow bottle for 24 bucks.

The wife just rolled her eyes as I put the case in the back seat. Hey, I don't complain when she buys scrapbooking [censored], so don't mess with my oil!
banana2.gif

Far too expensive for me. Made my oil pressure go through the roof on my pick up. When I sold their product it took forever to get the product, thus this ticked off my customers and I lost business.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
Originally Posted By: Fahrfuwerfuelen

I'll bet you your warranty wont be an issue with oil samples done every 20,000 miles, there is no way, unless the manufacture supplies the oil for free, that the manufacture can dictate what lube is in your crankcase, until you screw it up.
the manufacture dictating oil brands, sounds like companies who use marketing terms which mislead consumers.

VW didn't dictate which brand of oil to use, only that it meet VW Quality Standard VW 505.01. As of 9/11/07, VW had a list of 115 oils which meet that standard. Unfortunately, most of those oils are not available in the U.S., but there are several, so the owner has a choice.

There have been several instances of cam wear and failure because the 505.01 oil was not used. Given the OCI of 10k, I'd rather spend a few extra dolars and get an oil which will give me peace of mind.

Again, keep in mind, I talking about diesel engines and in particular, PD engines. The configuration of the cams and injectors for these models is different than your average gasoline engine and therefore the stresses and wear are of more significance.

AFAIC, anyone can put whatever they want in their engines. I just took offense to someone representing the product they market meets certain specifications when the product was never submitted for testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back