Since Amsoil is so good, why doesn't every1 use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
IT is cost effective (ie long drain interval). It actually costs less $/miles. Just want to know why is everyone not switch to that?

Last edited:
1. I don't like MLM companies. The BITOG Amsoil sellers are good guys though and almost make up for the other azzhats peddling Amsoil.

2. I have 3 vehicles on factory warranty and am not going to go beyond what the factory spells out for change intervals while they are on warranty, so wouldn't benefit from extended change intervals.

Let's see how many people run the oil over 5,000 miles, how many uoas are there where the oil makes it over 15,000 miles with good results? There are some that are most impressive .But [it is cost effective] is a blanket statement that can not be justified. Schaeffers is cost effective and I would say a better oil based on uoa results .I have never used Schaeffers oil though."Not that Amsoil is bad'

Because 99% of the people out there are sheep and believe everything they are told by the Dealers, Fast Lube Shops, and just plain old my dad said...... The cars and their motors today are so far removed from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and the 80's that they could not even think about driving something like that today but they think oil is still pumped out of the ground and put straight into a bottle for them to pour into their car.

Here's why -

Amsoil is great oil and can handle extended OCIs - yes.
Schaeffers, several M1 lines, etal, are great oils and can handle extended drains - yes.

I'll go for the one that's "reasonably" priced and I don't have to pay shipping.

Originally Posted By: Robert1955
they think oil is still pumped out of the ground and put straight into a bottle for them to pour into their car.
The best stuff is done that way.

Amsoil is a decent oil but it is expensive and I doubt that it holds up for the claimed 25,000 miles. People like to be able to buy directly from a store also. I know Brad Penn refuses to sell to Wal Mart because they like to reserve their oil for auto parts stores and some supermarkets.

1. People want name brands they have heard of like Valvoline, Pennzoil etc

2. There are no Amsoil Instant Oil changes that I know of.

3. Most people can't get past the 3,000 mile oil myth so why pay alot of money for Amsoil when cheap stuff will do.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Here's why -

Amsoil is great oil and can handle extended OCIs - yes.
Schaeffers, several M1 lines, etal, are great oils and can handle extended drains - yes.

I'll go for the one that's "reasonably" priced and I don't have to pay shipping.

The cost even with $4.20 per gallon gas doesn't cost as much as the shipping cost per case. 5,000 miles is considered an extend oil change by some of the syn oil users..

Originally Posted By: ZZman
1. People want name brands they have heard of like Valvoline, Pennzoil etc

2. There are no Amsoil Instant Oil changes that I know of.

3. Most people can't get past the 3,000 mile oil myth so why pay alot of money for Amsoil when cheap stuff will do.
I would say most people need a 3,000 mile oil change from a lube place cause that is the only time the hood gets opened , the tires aired etc.Think about it.

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
IT is cost effective (ie long drain interval). It actually costs less $/miles. Just want to know why is everyone not switch to that?

That's because me being a cheep arrse and I can't justify the cost of buying Amsoil or Redline here in Beaverland.

Q.

12.gif
07.gif

I don't think people use it because 1. they haven't heard of it. 2. something is wrong with it if you can't buy it at a store. I buy it because I live by the principle you get what you pay for. Also because I drive 230+ miles a day - nice to have something in there if I don't feel like changing my oil that weekend. Yes, I'm an Amsoil user who thinks 5,000 mile OCI is an extended OCI :).

1.- I can't buy it at a store, so what happens if I run short or put the last quart in and forget to reorder.

2.- The hoekuss poekuss with the API certification stuff, for years and years they claimed API certification was a unnecessary expense for a small company. Now they are submitting some of their oils for certification. So which is it?

3.- Cost-cost-cost. Can't help it if I am a cheapo.

Plenty of people use Amsoil. Maybe not a household name, but most every auto enthusiast has heard of it. Most every snowmobiler, biker, RC'er, garden professional, etc has heard of Amsoil as well.

Mostly the reason for people sticking with brands is gut feel. Some people don't readily change from what their fathers used. Other folks do seek the new, and in general people can order oil without problems.

Originally Posted By: twentynine

2.- The hoekuss poekuss with the API certification stuff, for years and years they claimed API certification was a unnecessary expense for a small company. Now they are submitting some of their oils for certification. So which is it?

Its a marketing ploy for people like you, that will only use an API labled oil, especially for those still under warranty and think a dealership can tell the difference. Note that the API cert oils are not their top of the line ones.
48.gif

4. I prefer to go on mystical hunts for oil and get best value for bottom dollar that take me to far flung automotive stores and odd places to find that which is on sale, or is a magical green elixir. Ordering over the phone or even *gasp* online would be way too easy and spoil the experience.

I use Amsoil in our transmissions and differentials but not with the engine oil. I haven't followed up with the prices lately but this is my cost analysis in regards to which oil I'm using. Not to mention, I've had some great UOAs with PP.

Oil_Cost_Analysis.jpg

PP and M1 EP are verified OCIs while the Amsoil mileage is projected. I do run 100 miles a day with 93% highway. ASL pricing is over a year old but was quoted as a preferred customer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cory
I use Amsoil in our transmissions and differentials but not with the engine oil. I haven't followed up with the prices lately but this is my cost analysis in regards to which oil I'm using. Not to mention, I've had some great UOAs with PP.

Oil_Cost_Analysis.jpg

PP and M1 EP are verified OCIs while the Amsoil mileage is projected. I do run 100 miles a day with 93% highway. ASL pricing is over a year old but was quoted as a preferred customer.
There is no guarantee that any oil will last any given estimate .That said There is a better chance all the listed oils will make 10,000 miles and as the miles go up there is less of a chance the oils will last .I wonder which oil would last the longest under ideal conditions for the oil ?Then if it would be better to run 1 amsoil change or two pp oil changes ?Would it be worth not having to change the oil and run the Amsoil if conditions permitted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back