Since Amsoil is so good, why doesn't every1 use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Louie's gone fishing
Well, have we figured out why Al Amatusio has not saved us all from using panther pi$$? I'll bet that if we could get Pablo to stop riding bicycles and participate in more BITOG threads we could get more people on board with Amsoil.
crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

How do you know the story of Al and panther pi$$?

Dude if I post any more than I do, I'll get 'roids - so I appreciate the chain yank!!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: sprintman
So what is this Delmonico?

Steak like a T-Bone

Originally Posted By: NHSilverado

Actually, "Meets or Exceeds" is not hype. It is the law( Magnuson-Moss ). Just as the car mfg can not force you to use their brand fluid they can NOT force you to use a "certified" fluid( their own standard )either.

You are not required to use a fluid that is "certified" to any specific mfg's standard just that it meet or exceed that standard when it is called for. In the VW instance that has been mentioned if Amsoil meets or exceeds that oil standard in question it is 100% safe for warranty use. Actually, the best example is GM6094M. There is a huge list of certified oils on GM's list but there are just as many not on the list that meet or exceed the standard that are absolutely safe for use and will not compromise your warranty.

MFG certified oil lists mean squat other than that oil mfg paid the car mfg to be tested and get on the list( so uninformed people that think only those oils are okay to use will buy them ). If a fluid mfg tells you their fluid meets/exceeds the standard in question that should be enough because if it doesn't it is false advertising and you have a claim against them.

If you are worried the mfg is making a false claim either don't buy the product or get a copy of the fluid standard and then compare the test results against the oil you want to use. If you only feel comfortable using a certified fluid found on a mfg's list then do so but don't tell others that is the only warranty safe way to go because that is 100% false. "Meets or Exceeds" however is NOT hype. It is consumer protection built into the Magnuson-Moss act and is the law.

Magnuson-Moss only applies to the US. US law has no basis outside of the United States. BTW. The MM Act is about Warranties both Implied and Express and only impacts US Consumers.

The context of the original posters comment was that "Meets or Exceeds" terminology is used by several oil companies who do not have formal "approval" of their oil.

Sadly it is Marketing hype in many instances. There is no definition that I am aware of for the term "Exceeds". For example, assuming an oil standard has 10 points that must be met. An oil meets 9 of these and slightly exceeds 1 point. Does this mean that the oil "Exceeds" the requirements of the standard? If it exceeds all the requirements then OK but most don't. The greay area is what marketers play on

The level of disclosure by oil companies on their products is quite low and the average consumer around the world can't tell the difference.

Quote:
There is no definition that I am aware of for the term "Exceeds". For example, assuming an oil standard has 10 points that must be met. An oil meets 9 of these and slightly exceeds 1 point. Does this mean that the oil "Exceeds" the requirements of the standard?

I don't see the problem here. The statement is to assure a minimum of OEM requirements. I can't recall where any vendor has ever stated "exceeds all OEM requirements". There may be a few ..but it is a "canned" statement and usually includes "meets".

OEM requirements are multidimensional and complex. Just about everything has a performance standard (some material standards) and I doubt that there's any OEM standard that is stated as X ninnywitunits +/- ZERO (to 29 places to the right of the decimal point) under Blablablasanctionedstandard 409-AB3.

That is, the trumping of all of them for the same application is slim.

Just nitpicking as many members of this Forum do that's all. The statement "Meets or Exceeds" is marketing speak and gives the impression to consumers (IMHO) that the product substantially exceeds all requirements of the standard concerned.

Mobil 1 in Australia for many years stated that it "Exceeds all requirements of API XX" - seems pretty clear to me what that means.

For greater clarification the term "Meets all requirements but Exceeds some requirements for XX Standard" would be a better choice but it doesn't have the marketing hype.

Originally Posted By: LexusAussie
Just nitpicking as many members of this Forum do that's all. The statement "Meets or Exceeds" is marketing speak and gives the impression to consumers (IMHO) that the product substantially exceeds all requirements of the standard concerned.

Mobil 1 in Australia for many years stated that it "Exceeds all requirements of API XX" - seems pretty clear to me what that means.

For greater clarification the term "Meets all requirements but Exceeds some requirements for XX Standard" would be a better choice but it doesn't have the marketing hype.

Fair points all.

The EXCEED part however is always included because you are only required by law to meet the minimum OE spec so if you exceed it, which can happen and does routinely, the product is safe to use. I would rather use a product that exceeds spec. Even though such claims are marketing gold I don't personally consider that hype. But rather I consider it a better product and the mfg is just advertising it as such.

There are people out there however, and on here too(
LOL.gif
), that would think an oil would not qualify for use if the spec didn't match up # for #.
smirk2.gif
I can see it now...

Member X says = I want to use Oil X in my Car

Member Y replies = Don't use it - doesn't meet OE spec

Member Z chimes in = But it is better than OE and exceeds that spec so use it

Member Y comes back = Don't - Stop - Danger! Can't use it - doesn't meet spec

Member X replies = I am so confused
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: NHSilverado
Originally Posted By: LexusAussie

Fair points all.

The EXCEED part however is always included because you are only required by law to meet the minimum OE spec so if you exceed it, which can happen and does routinely, the product is safe to use. I would rather use a product that exceeds spec. Even though such claims are marketing gold I don't personally consider that hype. But rather I consider it a better product and the mfg is just advertising it as such.

There are people out there however, and on here too(
LOL.gif
), that would think an oil would not qualify for use if the spec didn't match up # for #.
smirk2.gif
I can see it now...

Member X says = I want to use Oil X in my Car

Member Y replies = Don't use it - doesn't meet OE spec

Member Z chimes in = But it is better than OE and exceeds that spec so use it

Member Y comes back = Don't - Stop - Danger! Can't use it - doesn't meet spec

Member X replies = I am so confused
frown.gif

LOL.gif
ROTFLMAO. Truer words have never been said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back