Mobil 1 5W40 or Castrol Edge 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been running AMSOIL for a while in most of my vehicles most because the cost wasn’t that much higher than anything else. Example I can buy AMSOIL and a filter for $54 for my f150. Well on the 2012 beetle I just bought they want about $100 for oil and filter. I can get Mobil or Castrol for $37.99 + a wix filter for $13. AMSOIL is a fine product, their marketing and sales tactics are less than wonderful but I can’t justify twice the cost when I know I’m not going to run a crazy long interval. So between the two mentioned what are you picking and why?

The "heartthrob of BITOG" 0W40 FS Mobil has been reformulated so the old opinions will need to become new opinions as the experience and data come in.

I will defer to all the VAG and Bimmer guys on to what and why on 229.51/A40 approval juice.

Either oil will let theengine out live your ownership of the vehicle.

Which engine is in the Beetle? Is it the 2.5l naturally aspirated or the 2.0l turbo direct injection? Doesn't matter too much as you could put Mobil 1 0/5W-40, Castrol Edge 0/5W-40, Quaker State 5W-40, or just about any current 0/5W-40 offering that meets VW 502.00 under a blanket and pick one. Price, availability, or rebates will be your guide at this point. Incidentally, you could get either of the M1s or Castrol Euro 5W-40 at Walmart for WAY cheaper than $37.99.

Which engine is in the Beetle? Is it the 2.5l naturally aspirated or the 2.0l turbo direct injection? Doesn't matter too much as you could put Mobil 1 0/5W-40, Castrol Edge 0/5W-40, Quaker State 5W-40, or just about any current 0/5W-40 offering that meets VW 502.00 under a blanket and pick one. Price, availability, or rebates will be your guide at this point. Incidentally, you could get either of the M1s or Castrol Euro 5W-40 at Walmart for WAY cheaper than $37.99.
It’s the 2.0TSI I could go to Walmart but that store just well yeah….not my cup of tea. The people, the whole experience is just lack luster I’ll pay a little more to support the local part store.

If the 2 liter turbo then I'd buy 6 quarts (1 gallon + 2 qts) of the Amsoil 5W-40 FS (502.00 norm) and the Mann filter (W719/45) for a cost of $64.47. Order it when you order for your Ford and get free shipping.

OE filter number is 06J-115-403-Q

The "heartthrob of BITOG" 0W40 FS Mobil has been reformulated so the old opinions will need to become new opinions as the experience and data come in.

I will defer to all the VAG and Bimmer guys on to what and why on 229.51/A40 approval juice.
Liquimoly is the darling of the VAG communities these days.

• Haha
Reactions: hrv
I’ve been running AMSOIL for a while in most of my vehicles most because the cost wasn’t that much higher than anything else. Example I can buy AMSOIL and a filter for $54 for my f150. Well on the 2012 beetle I just bought they want about $100 for oil and filter. I can get Mobil or Castrol for $37.99 + a wix filter for $13. AMSOIL is a fine product, their marketing and sales tactics are less than wonderful but I can’t justify twice the cost when I know I’m not going to run a crazy long interval. So between the two mentioned what are you picking and why?
So “what’s the best oil” with a side of Amsoil opinion?

It’s the 2.0TSI I could go to Walmart but that store just well yeah….not my cup of tea. The people, the whole experience is just lack luster I’ll pay a little more to support the local part store.
Order it online shipped to your door. Usually free shipping if you buy 2.

Reactions: wlk
Why not Mobil 1 0W-40? Over the 2, I would chose the Mobil because I like their packaging better.

I could never pay that much for oil, Walmart FTW

If your trying to save money -- start shopping for your oil and filters at Walmart or online at Walmart.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrv
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back