Since Amsoil is so good, why doesn't every1 use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with XS650. The biggest turnoff for me is the MLM (multi-level marketing). It doesn't help that the "Amsoil" name reminds people of "Amway" (now Quixtar). If you wanted to lose your friends quickly in the past, you told them you sold Amway products, and asked if you could give a demo at their house.

Amsoil offers great synthetic oils, but people today have zero tolerance for pyramid schemes. Amsoil is NOT an illegal pyramid scheme, but their sales approach still frightens people away.

[/quote]There is no guarantee that any oil will last any given estimate .That said There is a better chance all the listed oils will make 10,000 miles and as the miles go up there is less of a chance the oils will last .I wonder which oil would last the longest under ideal conditions for the oil ?Then if it would be better to run 1 amsoil change or two pp oil changes ?Would it be worth not having to change the oil and run the Amsoil if conditions permitted? [/quote]
As indicated prior (under the image) in my situation and driving conditions, the PP and M1 are verified OCIs with documented UOAs.

amzoil is a great oil! i would not let the mlm stuff get in the way for a great blender such as amzoil...and iam a redline guy i get my redline couple of miles from me this national champion scca racing team has it avail

I agree that people should still buy Amsoil, but negative perceptions can be hard to overcome. I use Red Line, too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cory
[/quote]There is no guarantee that any oil will last any given estimate .That said There is a better chance all the listed oils will make 10,000 miles and as the miles go up there is less of a chance the oils will last .I wonder which oil would last the longest under ideal conditions for the oil ?Then if it would be better to run 1 amsoil change or two pp oil changes ?Would it be worth not having to change the oil and run the Amsoil if conditions permitted?

As indicated prior (under the image) in my situation and driving conditions, the PP and M1 are verified OCIs with documented UOAs. [/quote]I am agreeing with your post .The longer the oil is pushed the less chance the oil will make it. Unless there are mechanical problems the amsoil for example will ? should do 10,000 miles but up to 25,000 miles the chances drop like a rock. So using PP for the 10,000 miles and being able to buy it at a discount price is the way to go.

PP discount is a marketing thing. It won't last forever. One example couple months back when Checker's Auto had the PP coupon for $0.99 they sold 1 case(6 qts) and that was it. They said they were out of stock. I went in there when the store opened and returned back before they closed. They said they sold out but I saw only 6 qts on display that morning. I ask for a rain check and returned back two weeks later and again they said shipment hasn't arrived. You can tell from a bold face lie they had in stock but that's the way it goes. You can't sell $0.99 synthetic oil forever...get real Mobil is the leader in synthetic oil, Pennzoil wants to gain shares in the synthetic oil market. It's a good oil but it will price itself in
Wally World.

For extended drain yearly OCI in synthetic oil application I like using Amsoil. I can sleep at night have no worries.

I like changing oil, trying new ones, plus my olm goes off about 7-8k.

AMSoil is great and I would use it if I needed a 10k oil. Price is not an object. A few places sell it otc. $7-$8 is not a problem. I use AMSoil ATF because it is cost/effective. Synth gear oils make more sense than synth motor oils.

Trying to justify price by silly extended ocis is not good marketing.

It's like a good bottle of wine, you get it because it's good, not because you could get 2x as drunk on more cheap wine.

Different horses for different courses. Amsoil is a better product because of competition. When they started they were on their own. Now they have competition and they have improved. The MLM is a distraction just like the vitamins and spark plug wires.

If you believe advertising you would have more fun running your Crown Vic on a dyno with Syntec, having a beer and pizza waiting for it to blow up. That's because Syntec is better than conventional oil but no better than other synthetic oil, their words not mine, but I agree. That's a lot more fun than going 25k miles to see if Amsoil is right. Amsoil needs to get in the mainstream or we will never know how good it is. You know when the product says "as seen on TV" that you've got the real deal. I don't see it on a bottle of Amsoil, so good by to any chance to convert the unwashed.

"Every1" doesn't buy Amsoil for the very same reason we don't all buy Sony TV's, Remmington guns, Ford vehicles, Kennmore appliances, Nike shoes, Thomasville furniture, ... or anything else you can name.

Amsoil makes good products, but they are not the ONLY products in their market place. There are many other good choices as well, depending on many usage factors.

For most of the world, it's a free and open market enterprise. There are products made for nearly any demand, based upon a balance of price point, severity of use, desire of longevity, asthetics, and a host of other issues. Choice is the backbone of capitalism!
thumbsup2.gif

WHY IS THERE A GLOBAL ECONOMICS QUESTION HERE ON THIS SITE ????
21.gif

Last edited:
because they don't feel like they want to.???

how does it go? AMsoil left-Amsoil right, there is an amsoil product for every plight.

Amsoil is fine. Get it on local shelves and sell it at 6 bucks a bottle all day long.

the marketing plan is what it is,. this is why I never seem to get to it.
when it is close to oci I grab the best deal while I am at walmart.
I dont plot and stalk motor oil. too many easier ways for me.

Last edited:
All my cars have small sumps. I put about 3L and still overfill.

On sales I can get about 4L of QS or Penn for every 1L of Amsoil. Therefore I can run 4 OCIs for every single Amsoil OCI.

Thus my choice is: 4 x 5K OCI = 20K
or Amsoil: 20K single OCI

Imagine a single 20K OCI in an engine having no more than 4L of oil total!!!!! I prefer more OCIs to remove contamination more often.

I never even heard of Amsoil until I came here to BITOG. Besides, I like to change my oil. It gives me a chance to see the undercarrage of my vehicles. I've discovered, e.g., torn outboard CV Joint Boots and replaced them before any real damage occured to the half shafts. This is something that super extending my OCI's wouldn't have given me. I've noticed other issues with my vehicles as they have aged and have taken care of those issues sooner than later wheather I did the work myself or had it done professionaly. Especially prior to taking the car on a family vacation. Im not saying that this is the only time I scope underneath my vehicles, just that it give a better view.

I believe amsoil is one of the better long drain interval oils, if you follow the recommended intervals they put out. If you do a lot of highway miles like origin hacker (230 miles a day,man I feel for you bro) then amsoil following there 25K OR 1 year interval makes sense for them. Even if you only went 15K, amsoil makes sense.

-Most people cant grasp the fact that you can go longer than 3k, 5k etc.. most just feel comfortable following the manual and warranty.

Like Steve S said, A LOT of people never have there car looked at until they go into a jiffylube type place (let alone check the dipstick at least weekly) and have the oil changed, air pressure checked, fluids checked etc... that is the only time their car even gets thought about having the hood up.

Other people that fall under the "severe service" category, and it is a lot more people than most think, need to change out their oil more frequently to get the impurities and fuel out of there.

There are some excellent oils out there besides Amsoil. But I think for the most part, most people will agree that Amsoil is one of the top tier motor oils as of now.

Some peole (like myself) like changing the oil and tinkering with the car so....

Short answer:
Since Amsoil is so good, why doesnt every1 use it?

-Everybodies situation is different. Different oci's, different reasoning's. different driving habits and environments, etc...

Last edited:
I use some of there stuff for my snowmobile's and lawnmowers,seems like good oil ,would like to try more of it but it's just way too pricy for me and too hard to get,when i buy something i want it now not days from now.

the times i have ordered amsoil products, has always been there within 3 days waiting on the doorstep as i slowly walk from the car, rubbing my hands together, thinking about the good times my car and I are gonna have as i slowly unscrew the drain plug and watch her oily goodness drain from her bowels and I wipe down the old oil filter getting ready to change her out and refill with new fresh stuff knowing I am massaging her insides and gonna take good care of her...

Should I go on?

Amsoil has been promoting extended drain intervals and using Group IV/V base oils for over 30 years. The rest of the industry is now following, including OEM's who are pushing for longer drain intervals. If it weren't for Mobil 1, I think Amsoil would be even more popular but it just so happens to be that XOM is a major market player that produces a very good oil readily available.

When you think of the marketing put out by Valvoline or Castrol, Amsoil doesn't seem all that bad. What about all the quick lube places and Valvoline still pushing the 3,000 mile drain interval, all for profit? Lame.

There are many reasons why people do/don't use certain products. There isn't just one answer.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
the times i have ordered amsoil products, has always been there within 3 days waiting on the doorstep as i slowly walk from the car, rubbing my hands together, thinking about the good times my car and I are gonna have as i slowly unscrew the drain plug and watch her oily goodness drain from her bowels and I wipe down the old oil filter getting ready to change her out and refill with new fresh stuff knowing I am massaging her insides and gonna take good care of her...

Should I go on?

Oh my friend, you need serious help.
grin2.gif

Thanks for a level headed answer, buster. Some of this seems to me to be a bit silly.

I agree that there is no one perfect oil, or perfect oil company. Kinda glad for that actually! I'm also glad we can seek out and find better alternatives to current recommendations and "brain lock" thinking pattersns………...
grin2.gif

For me, Amsoil carries everything I need at one place, which makes it very easy when I need oil, grease, silicon spray, or an oil filter and etc. They just happen to have a good rep and produce high quality syn oils. I just can't by into the hype of sso and hdd when their premium oils last just as long for $3-4 cheaper a qt.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: 02zx9r

Should I go on?

Oh my friend, you need serious help.
grin2.gif

Like saturn_fan stated in the "why am I getting excited about changing my oil" thread, I realize I have a problem, but I don't want any help!!
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back