*sigh*....... mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am a retired mechanic and have seen enough high hour and mile engines to tell you that engines run on dino at 5,000 mile intervals and 10,000 mile intervals on syn oils "both conservative intervals", have the engines lasting as long as they are going to last. People really don't know what they think they know.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Yeah, this is not a battle worth fighting. Remember the two words that are the key to a happy marriage:

"Yes Dear."

It is 3 words... "I am wrong".

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Originally Posted By: firefighter
Not to get off track, but what enginge is this? I was not aware of a civic sludger. I know of a few civic 1.6l of that year with well over 200k on and no sludge issues.

No such animal exists from Honda.
There is, the ones that run M1 for 7,500 miles.

This is in response to:

Get used to synthetic?

I don't even know what that means.

Do the metals need time to adjust thier molecular structure?

For what it is worth this is the story of an Acura 2.4l I4.

We used the dealer to OCI our car through the warranty period. They used a semi-sythetic. Oil usage was quart/5000mi, sometimes less. Switched to Mobil 0W30 after warranty was over and it started burning a quart every 2000 miles. The wife had bought 2-6 packs of Mobil 5W30 at Costco, so I continued to use Mobil 1. Second oil change, same thing, a quart every 2000 miles. So, I was going to burn through this last six pack of oil and change to something else. Suddenly oil consumption went down to a quart/5000 miles. I have checked it twice now. Either Mobil 1 gummed it up or cleaned it out, but the engine has gotten used to it. It took 3 oil changes, but something changed.

If it were my Civic, or my fiance's, I'd probably do 5K changes anyway, especially since I have a large stash of closeout and cheap after MIR oil.
I do 5-6K on my cars with any oil.
Yeah, the Civic can go much farther, we all know that.
Still, her father is advising her based upon what he knows, and he is no doubt unaware that both oils and engines have changed over the years.
He may also be having a bit of a testosterone contest with you, since you are taking his little girl away.
Also, a couple of decades ago "synthetic" was a term of magic.
You didn't see retail shelves crammed with synthetic oils, most of which now are merely arbitrarily labeled as such based upon basestock VI.
Not a fight worth fighting, unless your wife to be shows other symptoms of excessive reliance upon her parents, and not you.

That's what the specific virtual discussions turns us into... Telephatic phantoms. Suddenly a few centistokes of liquidity becomes more important than a marriage.

Let's get outdoors and breath the actual air to see if it's fresh.

We just got her Civic less than a year ago and it wasnt taken care of to the "fullest" I guess you could say. Pop off the oil cap and thats a horror story. I dont fight with her about the car. I know Im getting a lot of advice to pick and choose my battles on this and I agree, this is one I always avoid. No matter how much info and numbers I can say will pull her away from daddy. I have more than washed my hands with this one. Just wont let her touch my cars when she needs one. The only thing I will fight with her about is stealing my PureONE stash when she needs a change, she can F off for that one. Hate having cars that share filters...

I hate to be harsh, but ....

And you're willing to marry this woman? Good luck to you. Perhaps many here have patience beyond my capacity, but I don't think I could bear to have my relationship include a 3rd party.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
We just got her Civic less than a year ago and it wasnt taken care of to the "fullest" I guess you could say. Pop off the oil cap and thats a horror story. I dont fight with her about the car. I know Im getting a lot of advice to pick and choose my battles on this and I agree, this is one I always avoid. No matter how much info and numbers I can say will pull her away from daddy. I have more than washed my hands with this one. Just wont let her touch my cars when she needs one. The only thing I will fight with her about is stealing my PureONE stash when she needs a change, she can F off for that one. Hate having cars that share filters...

I'm stunned yaris. With the way she has disregarded you and focused on daddy being the authority in her life, you are in for SERIOUS mayhem in your future marriage. Unless you are a meek fella that doesn't mind this sort of thing, all I can say is that you are doomed. I'm not one to tap dance around issues, so forgive me if you feel I am being too forward......but your relationship (from just two posts from you that I read) indicate real trouble.
Run my friend....RUN!

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Remember the two words that are the key to a happy marriage:

"Yes Dear."
Agreed, but it's the WAY you say them that's important. Ask me how I know...

My FIL #3 was a SeaBee nuclear electrician. That's a hard act to follow.

Dear knows I like to do everything myself, and FIL is always polite when subjects come up about which I have no clue and he's been doing it for 40 yrs. I can live with that.

But many FILs, I suspect, are less polite. The danger exists that you may become a doormat by giving in without even a tiny bit of fight. I don't know your FIL, but I've seen it happen and it's not a pretty sight.

I would say be tactful and stand your ground. Explain fully, provide footnotes, and provide some UOAs as fine examples to punctuate your presentation.

Good luck to you, sir.

No wonder you guys have trouble navigating relationships. You have the "key marriage words" all screwed up. It is a trilogy:

I'm sorry
You're right
I love you

You use this offense always, regardless of truth.
crackmeup2.gif

I do have to wonder if the guys here that proclaim they couldn't handle this relationship situation also have trouble in their other personal relationships.....friends, peers, co-workers, supervisors, supermarket cashiers?

I'm no hypocrite....life's a challenge. But, how boring it would be if we all agreed.

"I happen to like the roller coaster....":

If you want to be a doormat to your spouse, go ahead and take the advice given.

If you want to be in a committed relationship with someone that you trust and are in it together, then that might not be the best advice to follow.

I'm a happily married man and my wife wouldn't put me in the situation in order for me to be less than that.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Just wont let her touch my cars when she needs one. The only thing I will fight with her about is stealing my PureONE stash when she needs a change, she can F off for that one. Hate having cars that share filters...

Doesn't sound that you like to be in a relationship.
Relationship = sharing

If her car fells to start, you will let loose a day of work (money) and maybe her job? Do you realize there will be consequences on your life too?

Maybe you should first ask yourself if you really want to be in a relationship.

Why is your fiance even thinking about oil and oil changes?
That's your job! It's up there with wash/wax, taking out the trash,
killing bugs, lifting heavy things, and getting caps off of things.

With that said: Happy wife, happy life!

i dont know your family well, but from my perspective... i love my car a lot, but still a person believe in family > car
grin.gif

you can buy car new car, another case of oil, another filter. but you cant buy a family happiness IF you start to get into the thought of "why she trust her DADDY more than me". ---it's a given -- if he raised her well and treated her nice as father. don't you think so? i am sure you would understand, as soon you become the father and love your children dearly. it's also mental change, and we most, if not all become more stubborn as we age... some see "cant teach old dog new tricks" as funny line, but it's not funny at all when one day i can no longer teach my parents any tricks.... come to think about it, when we all turn to 60s and 70s, can we then accept "lifetime fill" engine oil? dont come hard on them, after all, it's just oil, twice a year oci, and how many time OCI are they going to see? i would consider it's a treat for old, and karma for your and future wife.
hope you have a happy one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back