sick days at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently off on sick leave (Nothing augmentin can't kill, or is there?).

I always get heavy feelings of guilt when i have time off. I live nearby and even went in for half an hour.

Do other people feel this guilt too? I don't even love my job. maybe it's just my calvinistic upbringing gone bad.

Yep, I average around 3 every 2 years tops, but we have guys using 2 weeks a year no qualms...most of my team (current and former) feel that they are letting their mates down by not turning up.

But if I were to get REALLY sick, I'd have no qualms about using my accrued sickies (and I've got lots).

We were always told this: If you're sick, stay home. Better to do that than spread it around at work. Also applies if you are too sick to perform your duties for something not contagious.

We're told that, but...
30 hours without a medical certificate gets you an interview...takes 3 days to get to see a doctor, and they won't back-date.
45 hours with medical certificates gets you an interview.

We are:

any day or length of days adjoining a weekend = compulsory certificate
one or two days mid week = no certificate needed
three or more days = compulsory certificate.

I don't know what the consequences are though. I've never asked.

We have just had a law passed where an employer can demand a Dr certificate for one days sick leave - but the employer has to pay for it,so don't think it will be enforced much.

I seldom take sick leave,but if I do never feel guilty about it...unless there is a job left unfinished that someone else will have to get out.If I went in they wouldn't be very impressed,and would most likely get my pay docked for the day.

Sounds like my company is pretty generous, we get 7 days per year, if you take 3 or more days consecutive then you must provide a note from your doctor, otherwise there are no other restrictions. Also, in my state, you are allowed by law to use any accrued sick leave to stay home and care for a dependent who is sick such as a child. You can also use paid sick leave for any medical appointments you may have.

With such a generous policy, it's hard sometimes to not feel a *twinge* of guilt when off sick, but the company treats it as just another paid day off, like vacation or holiday days, so we make sure to use them all up as there is no compensation for not using them.

I rarely miss work because I'm sick. But, with that being said, I work in the medical field, so I don't chance it when I'm not feeling well.

Also...fun little fact I like to brag about...we don't have "sick days" per say. We have vacation, personal days(sick days) , and holidays all rolled up into "pto", or paid time off. I accrue 270 hours of pto/year. Nearly 7 weeks of time off yearly.
grin.gif

Yes, but don't get sick anymore.....

I stopped getting sick 2x a year 15 years ago by taking 50Mg. of Zinc everyday.

Never got sick again.

My company used to allow us 3 paid sick days, but they still counted them as unexcused absences??? People complained, so they took away the unexcused part. . . and the paid part as well.

We like to call folks like you heros. For myself since we get only 48 hours a year I like to use it when I really need it. It does add up what ever you don't use. We're allowed two sick days in row without a doctor's note. I've called from in two days and on that third day i've gone in and went home right after I've clicked in.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Our time off is all rolled together into "PTO", so it matters not if you are on vac. or sick.

That's how we do it too; if one chooses they can call in sick all they want until they run out of PTO allotment. Unfortunately its a system that some feel they have to abuse; if we earn 4 weeks of PTO each year there's always one or two guys who take all of it one day at a time - as sick days.

I've heard a lot of companies are going to the pto scheme. I think it's far more realistic for most people. Just like most people don't take good care of their vehicles, I believe most people try to use sick when they just want a day off. I have a feeling in a survey of people who don't miss work, the population on bitog would be skewed towards no days off more than the general population.

Uncle Sam is pretty close to what lyle described, we get 4 hours of sick leave every pay period, which is two weeks. More than two days off in a row, doctors note required. You can also use it for the Family Leave Act.

I dont think I take one day a year, and if I do, it is usually an appointment, not being sick.

Im engaged in a lot of things. To prevent falling behind, I want to be proactive. That is the beauty of the blackberry at least, in that it is real easy to keep up at least on emails.

Originally Posted By: El_Schaf
I've heard a lot of companies are going to the pto scheme. I think it's far more realistic for most people.

I like it myself; its like having an extra week of vacation each year. I'm never sick, and don't have kids, so I'm not taking off days when they're sick (and they're not bringing germs home from school). I think the last time I had to call in sick was 1993.

I may take a couple sick days a year, but I only do it when I'm really sick - otherwise I schedule vacation. As far as feeling guilty, no way. If I get sick it's better to stay home and sleep. Unless I'm practically dead, I still keep up with email, I can remote in if needed, and they can get me on the phone, too. So nobody's being left high and dry in my absence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back