Just fixed my A/C!

Excellent to hear. I’ll jump in with my repair coincidentally done yesterday. The capacitor overheated and melted the red wire terminal for some reason while the heat pump was in the AC mode all summer. It was a replacement I put in earlier this year when the 11 year old original one failed and puffed up the top. I noticed the replacement capacitor was quite a bit smaller in diameter than the original one, but had the same specs.

My 2nd replacement is much closer to the original’s diameter but slightly smaller, requiring wrapping the top circumference with some electrical tape. Here are shots of the burned capacitor and the new replacement.

View attachment 177289View attachment 177290
Never seen one burn like that. . Possible electrical surge or brown out?

Excellent to hear. I’ll jump in with my repair coincidentally done yesterday. The capacitor overheated and melted the red wire terminal for some reason while the heat pump was in the AC mode all summer. It was a replacement I put in earlier this year when the 11 year old original one failed and puffed up the top. I noticed the replacement capacitor was quite a bit smaller in diameter than the original one, but had the same specs.

My 2nd replacement is much closer to the original’s diameter but slightly smaller, requiring wrapping the top circumference with some electrical tape. Here are shots of the burned capacitor and the new replacement.

View attachment 177289View attachment 177290
Those Titan HD caps suck!!!

My last one failed in such a way I could no longer read the values on the dual capacitor. After an extensive internet search I could only come up with a best guess. Kicked myself for not buying a spare when I replaced it previously.
Look up capacitor by model number. Google part number to get correct mfd. If voltage is 370v you may replace with 440v.
Very important to replace with exact mfd value capacitor. I replace contactors regularly too. When the contacts wear cause capacitor to fail.
I have replaced capacitor and they failed in few minutes. Went through multiple capacitors until contactor replaced following day. Contactor was chattering, points pitted. I buy 40 amp contactors, can use them on 5 ton and smaller. Last longer than original 20, 25, 30 amp contactor.

I just replace the cap in my friends house, do used screw driver to discharge it!
Without resister in between there is a possibility of sparking and arcing, I guess for an already known bad cap it is not a problem but I wonder what could go wrong.

Last edited:
I have to gloat and you're the only crowd that will understand. I was sitting here about an hour and a half ago and noticed it getting warm in the house. Went to check on the vents and they were blowing warm! Go outside and the outdoor unit isn't running. :cautious: Did some quick checks with my multimeter to make sure it was getting juice, felt the condenser fan and it was very hot. The fan spun freely when I tried spinning it with a paint stick, but since it was getting late I did a quick search for a capacitor and fan, no fan available tonight but the local Ace had the cap! Decided to throw a cap at it and $30 later we have cold air! Old cap wasn't even that old...now just need to button this bad boy up once it cools down a bit inside.

I can't tell you the feeling when I plugged the disconnect in and it fired right to life!

ld2HUDf.jpg

o14hbOQ.jpg
Yeah. Very lucky and I know that feeling of victory you got. That is the last thing I had to repair to my 4 ton H.E. Rheem condensing unit
earlier this year. Talk about happy just like you when I realized "wow, less than $75 and fixed in 1 hour!"

Similar story, came home from a week at the beach a couple years ago to a hot home. Air handler running but outside unit not. Checked everything out in the morning, determined the capacitor as most likely issue. This is a Sunday morning, got a same day delivery from Amazon by 6 pm. Put it in and back in business. My wife still doesn't worship me as a DIY hero though 😁

jeff

Similar story, came home from a week at the beach a couple years ago to a hot home. Air handler running but outside unit not. Checked everything out in the morning, determined the capacitor as most likely issue. This is a Sunday morning, got a same day delivery from Amazon by 6 pm. Put it in and back in business. My wife still doesn't worship me as a DIY hero though 😁

jeff
She would if she had to pay those after hours or wekend call out repair bills you prevent.

I change out the capacitor(s) and contactor every 10 years to avoid breakdowns and keep a spare for each. My outdoor unit is 23 years old, been reliable and I am on the third set of parts now. I have seen those parts fail sooner for others..
As part of doing preventive maintenance, I check the capacitor on my furnace and refrigerator yearly.
You need a multi-meter that measures microfared's
As long as it's in (+/-) tolerance, you're fine.
If it's out of tolerance, motor may still start, (without full benefit of capacitor) but ends its life early.

jeff
Because you made it look too easy.

I have a service contract for the two Trane heat pumps I have. They come 2x a year for maintenance. They check the capacitors each time they come. But one has failed between service calls. Another one was going south and caught in a service visit.

The service contract covers the two services a year and provides free labor for the 10 year period of the Trane free parts warranty. And they come quickly as you are existing customer.

I have to gloat and you're the only crowd that will understand. I was sitting here about an hour and a half ago and noticed it getting warm in the house. Went to check on the vents and they were blowing warm! Go outside and the outdoor unit isn't running. :cautious: Did some quick checks with my multimeter to make sure it was getting juice, felt the condenser fan and it was very hot. The fan spun freely when I tried spinning it with a paint stick, but since it was getting late I did a quick search for a capacitor and fan, no fan available tonight but the local Ace had the cap! Decided to throw a cap at it and $30 later we have cold air! Old cap wasn't even that old...now just need to button this bad boy up once it cools down a bit inside.

I can't tell you the feeling when I plugged the disconnect in and it fired right to life!

ld2HUDf.jpg

o14hbOQ.jpg
Awesome fix. I'm assuming you purchased the correct capacitor? When I worked maintenance I was starting to learn a little bit about A/C and there is a range and something else to look at farads If I remember correctly.

Back