Should we trust the extended oil chg mileage intervals ? Toyota and porsche 10 K miles seems crazy to me..

He might be backing off replacing those vehicles once he sees "real world" pricing. Many of us are on the sidelines waiting.....
I have been waiting for a 911 for decades. Ready to buy one for two years. Check prices at least twice weekly. And I am in the PCA. You think I might be surprised by prices ??

Do what feels good to you. Me well 7500 miles is my limit. But frankly 7154 is the closest I ever got with my October/April OCI!
Hope you understand that I am looking for a used car that may have had 10k service intervals. For a car i own it gets 2 changes a year.

I have been waiting for a 911 for decades. Ready to buy one for two years. Check prices at least twice weekly. And I am in the PCA. You think I might be surprised by prices ??
Well...you haven't pulled the trigger. Why? There hasn't been a decent example in all your browsing?

Well...you haven't pulled the trigger. Why? There hasn't been a decent example in all your browsing?
Well i had 20 grand ready when I got a serious career ending brain injury a couple years ago. Then was ready for a 99 or 2000 996 for 18 k when covid hit. Now have 30 k to spend on a car and the 99 porsche is now 32 k. So twice the price in 20 months. For 30 k hoping for a first year 997 with manual.. a coupe.

The water cooled Porsches don't hold as much oil as the Oil to Air cooled motors, besides, that should be the least of your worries. The Oil to Air cooled 964's and 993's cost more money than 996's for a reason now anyway. Not advisable to buy a 996, they have their fair share of problems. I just passed on a pretty nice 2006, 997.1, 4.S, X51, 381 HP package, 94k miles, with very minor damage at the auction due to reviews of pro vs. cons, cons= still high cabin noise on a hard top. I'll wait and put my cheeks into a newer Lexus LS 470, I'm done with the noise!

Extended mileage oils will always meet the same SAE protection requirements from 1 mile to its advertised extended mileage. Obviously this only assumes your engine is in good working condition with no fuel or coolant leakage that would modify the oils rated SAE protections. Otherwise if it will make you sleep better at night by changing your oil every 3k miles, go for it.

I'm not going to 10,000. I gotten closer to that mark than I thought I would at times.
My all time record is 5,500, nowadays it's 4000 or less. If I had an engine that held 2+ gallons of oil I might be okay going 10k, but not much over that.

Modern oil might not break down for 10-15k, but it still gets filled with junk like fuel, blow-by, and soot, especially if you have a GDI engine, and all of that stuff circulates around the engine mucking up important stuff like your timing chain, oil control valves, piston rings, cam lobes etc. Oil filters help but in reality they mainly prevent larger particles from clogging an oil passage or scratching a bearing.

One things for sure, nobody ever ruined their engine because they changed their oil too frequently. Here in the US oil is very cheap, even having to change it once a month every 3k like I do it's not an expense I lose sleep over, I spend more money monthly on Diet Mountain Dew.

Last edited:
Trust in an OCI for a car enthusiast who plans on keeping their vehicle imo is established with UOA data. Blind faith in an owner's manual or hearsay from friends, family, a local mechanic, or a message board is hit or miss at best. I've posted before about the accuracy of my OLM, long story short it's worthless! YMMV

Porsche's oil sumps are huge........
Toyota not so much.

I'd believe the Germans vs the Japanese here.
The Sequoia's oil capacity is 6.6 to 7.4 quarts depending on the engine. My Tundra is 8.5 quarts. Not as much as the Porsche but still plenty big enough.

In the 1970 Porsches were the trendy car . Porsches were driven daily and used to go snow skiing.

I think you'll find that among cars of similar caliber, more Porsches are still used every day and owner maintained than any other.
On my cul de sac this point of view is valid. There are neighbors with a porsche and its daily driven. Another daily drives their Maserati. The two garage queens are the neighbors with Corvettes.

My 2021 Jaguar F Type R has a recommended 16,000 mile or 1 year OCI. The sump holds 7 quarts. I sure don't feel comfortable with a 16,000 OCI.
The warranty covers scheduled maintenance for free but I think I am going to do my own oil changes at around 7500 miles and let the dealer perform another one when it hits the recommended mark.

The oil for the car is a specially blended Castrol 0W-20 synthetic that is only available at Jaguar/Land Rover dealers. It takes a cannister filter as well, so the materials will run in the neighborhood of $130 for a change. But considering that it isn't a $25,000 econobox that doesn't seem excessive and the peace of mind from exceeding the manufacturer's intervals is worth it to me.

My 2021 Jaguar F Type R has a recommended 16,000 mile or 1 year OCI. The sump holds 7 quarts. I sure don't feel comfortable with a 16,000 OCI.
The warranty covers scheduled maintenance for free but I think I am going to do my own oil changes at around 7500 miles and let the dealer perform another one when it hits the recommended mark.

The oil for the car is a specially blended Castrol 0W-20 synthetic that is only available at Jaguar/Land Rover dealers. It takes a cannister filter as well, so the materials will run in the neighborhood of $130 for a change. But considering that it isn't a $25,000 econobox that doesn't seem excessive and the peace of mind from exceeding the manufacturer's intervals is worth it to me.
the 5.0 engine sucks big time. frequent oil changes are a waste of your money and not your problem unless you’re actually trying to keep it out of warranty

Last edited:
Back