Should I get winter tires for Dodge Dakota? 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I live in Northern Ontario Canada, and we often have snow covered roads during the winter.
Up till now I have been running General Tire Grabbers, and with 4 wheel drive on I do not get stuck. I am thinking about braking performance though, is probably not as good as with a true winter tire. Is it worth the extra expense of about $1000 for a set of wheels and true winter tires? - thanks - The Colonel.

Not getting stuck is important.

Stopping is critically important.

Real winter (snow) tires have far better grip in snow and ice than M+S tires. The true winter tires can reduce stopping distances in snow and ice by up to 50% over all seasons (which are comparable to your M+S). 4WD is pointless if you lose control and crash once you do get going....

Besides, isn't 4 winter tires the law in Ontario? It was when I lived in Manitoba...

It was absolutely worth every penny for good winter tires when I lived in Vermont...one wreck will wipe any savings you made by not getting winter tires....avoiding a wreck will seem priceless in that moment....

More discussion on that here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...105#Post3098105

Last edited:
No law for snows in Ontario yet. Too many people live in the GTA which doesn't need snows that many days a year.
In northeren ontario you can get studded tires as well up there, I assume they work atleast as well as the better snow tires and last a few seasons longer.
Can tire is clearing out the last years Goodyear nordic studdable tires, you might get a set of those and junk yard rims for $600.

Last edited:
Yes absolutely get winter tires. Dont think of it as an expense. Cause since the winter tires will be on, your Grabber's wont be accumulating any wear.

I have winter tires for my Civic and i only live in northern Ohio.

Originally Posted By: Donald
i think M & S tires with 4WD are fine. Your current tires are M & S?

They might be "fine" but wouldn't you rather have "great" traction?

alright - you made up my mind for me - going to go with safety and get real winter tires - thanks for the good advice, The Colonel.

CK, when driving on snow, I judge stopping ability on how long it takes the car to coast to a stop. I dont drive fast enough on snow to have to use the brakes.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back