Review of Michelin Cross Climate 2 Tires After One Year

I have had the Cross Climate 2 tires on my VW All Track now for about a year and thought I would share some findings about them.

1. They are QUIET on the road. Looking at the tread, you might think they are noisy but they are not! Run as quiet as a normal tire.

2. They give excellent traction and handling on dry, wet and snowy roads. This past winter, I had two occasions to drive on roads covered with 6-10" of snow. Excellent traction.

3. They wear very well! After about 12,000 miles, they hardly show any wear. I expect to get about 50,000-60,000 miles out of these tires.

4. They do exact a mileage penalty. I lost about 2 mpg overall since putting on these tires. However, I do not mind that considering the excellent traction I get from them.

5. They tend to pick up stones in the tread, particularly after the great state of Pennsylvania in its wisdom covers the roads before, during and after a snowstorm with gravel.

Overall, this tire is a winner. Handling is excellent as is wear and traction. I would recommend this tire to anyone who wants these features and wants to leave a set of tires on their car year around.

If "They give excellent traction and handling on dry, wet and snowy roads" how would you describe Pilot Sport 4S and X-Ice Snow compared to them?

Krzyś

I have had the Cross Climate 2 tires on my VW All Track now for about a year and thought I would share some findings about them.

4. They do exact a mileage penalty. I lost about 2 mpg overall since putting on these tires. However, I do not mind that considering the excellent traction I get from them.
Is your 2 MPG loss down from 30 mpg or 25 mpg. Percentages matter

MPG dropped from 37 highway to 35.
Seems to be a common complaint about the Michelin.

TyreReview tested it last year, along with 9 other tires. The CC2 did surprisingly well on the rolling resistance test, ranking third overall. It ranked 1st for snow braking, snow acceleration, and handling in snow.

...The CrossClimate 2 is quite frankly ridiculously good in the snow, Tyre Reviews ran the all season test alongside the winter test in the same size and if the Crossclimate 2 was in the winter tyre test, it would have been better than half of the winter tyres in the snow!...

....They do exact a mileage penalty. I lost about 2 mpg overall since putting on these tires.
In Consumer Reports testing, they had high rolling resistance compared to the other 17 tires in the group.

rolling resistance force in pounds:
Screen Shot 2024-01-04 at 9.27.52 AM.jpg

One tire to rule them all. I specify these on most non-performance applications and they're perfect for the PNW

Rolling resistance tends to be inversely proportional to wet performance according to the Tyre Reviews guy on YouTube.

Back