should I buy? 03 Camry, 80,0000 miles

Forgive me for not having looked closely, but if this Camry is a four cylinder one, that era of engine had a propensity to pull-out cylinder head studs under some conditions. Aluminum head and block. I am not sure which specific conditions, or how widespread it is, but if memory serves, it is NOT an overheat condition (alone) where this will occur. The fix is to use "Timecerts" to once and for all rectify matters. That having been said, not a lot of folks necessarily would undertake to spend that many $ on an older car.

I love Camry's... and perhaps my favorite driving car is my '99 Camry CE, with 5 speed manual. I know, it is the predecessor-model to the one at issue here.

That V6 is a great engine. $5500 is not a surprising asking price but I would see if you could get closer to $4k. You could buy a much newer car for the same price, FWIW.

I'd try to get it for less, maybe closer to $4000. In the end it's a solid car that should have decent power and last you a LONG time. I'd go for it.

Just recently did the valve cover on the 3.3 version, 2004 Sienna, and the valley plate, knock sensors, wasn't real difficult except the wire harness but when I figured out how to shift that to the driver side more I was able to get it complete. Fairly easy motor to work on and when I seen you could do the spark plugs without removing the intake manifold I was sold on getting one. I do like having a timing belt again too, that way the water pump and seals can be replaced and there is a separate belt for the alternator and power steering pump.

I am in the buy at 4k club, but being it's a friend, if it's 5k or so that's nothing to fret about. I got the 2005 Camry with the 4 cylinder and I think it is a good size and ride, with the v6 and low mileage it'll be like a new car, mostly.

We got the 98 Camry in January 2014 from my lady's grandmother. A 16 year old car at that time in great condition. 66k miles.. Now at 183k miles.

Only issues since then 7 years later...

Power steering rack replaced

Alternator replaced

Bellows replaced in the front axles.

Age is not a big issue IF... The vehicle is run rather routinely and it was maintained very well.

A car sitting and not hardly ever moving or running... Will be in far worse condition vs a car older car run regularly.

Age in years is not a big deal at times. That 98 Camry is now going on 23 years old and next week the lady is driving it 440 miles west to near Asheville NC. I am going to do a thorough check over on the car tomorrow evening.

Her going on that trip with that 23 year old car...I'mt concerned about it.

It is a good car and great price, just wondering if it is still the year they have some sludge problem if oil isn't changed often, I'd run synthetic short OCI for a while to "clean things up" for a few years, that's all.

We got the 98 Camry in January 2014 from my lady's grandmother. A 16 year old car at that time in great condition. 66k miles.. Now at 183k miles.

Only issues since then 7 years later...

Power steering rack replaced

Alternator replaced

Bellows replaced in the front axles.

Age is not a big issue IF... The vehicle is run rather routinely and it was maintained very well.

A car sitting and not hardly ever moving or running... Will be in far worse condition vs a car older car run regularly.

Age in years is not a big deal at times. That 98 Camry is now going on 23 years old and next week the lady is driving it 440 miles west to near Asheville NC. I am going to do a thorough check over on the car tomorrow evening.

Her going on that trip with that 23 year old car...I'mt concerned about it.
244k miles on my Camry now. The Genesis has been at the dealer since last week on Friday and I've put 600 miles on the Camry since then.

Toyota built a ridiculously good car.

Original A/C parts
7CFD7B6C-5BB7-4D74-A2B9-BD374F9E38AE.jpeg

7F837B55-8A3A-4105-AC83-A91E688E5FB5.jpeg

Debating my way of thinking. Buying a car so I don't drive the cars I like. Considering selling a couple of my cars instead.
I did see it and it looks pretty nice.
Again, thanks for the responses.

jealous—how did yours get a temp readout? Mine has a button to set the minutes to 00’s, lol.
I've got that Mode button, it tells the time, temp in C, and temp in F. Might have come to the 2000 year with the refresh. I don't think my 97' had it.

dont buy a camry with v6-its not needed and will cost much more to service

1MZ-FE's aren't as bad as people make them out to be, The smoother power delivery & greater torque are SO worth it in my opinion.

The early 2AZ-FE's are probably one of the worst Toyota engines that I can remember off the top of my head......Consuming massive amounts of oil, Known for killing the Catalytic Converter just to pull the head bolt threads out of the block can end up costing a lot more than maintaining a 1MZ-FE.

I'm sure that 1MZ sludging issues will be brought up, A 2003 will have updated PCV & Valve Covers.

Debating my way of thinking. Buying a car so I don't drive the cars I like. Considering selling a couple of my cars instead.
I did see it and it looks pretty nice.
Again, thanks for the responses.
Yeah, not a fan of that kind of thinking. Had a beater as a second car and then when that died, I figured why have a beater, got a second Mercedes as a beater. I knew a dentist that had a nice Mercedes SL but he hardly ever drove it, had a Civic as a beater although he bought them new and traded them in every few years.

Oh yeah, only drawback of having a temperature sensor, for some reason, Mercedes designed the car so that if the temperature sensor isn't working, the A/C doesn't work either. Got that sensor replaced quick.

I alternate in my thinking of having a beater. Spend two hours a day in a car and you want it to be nice. But it gets rock chips, door dings and salt damage so why bother? But then if it breaks I have to drop it off and wait a couple days for it to get repaired. But the newer it is the more it costs per mile.

I alternate in my thinking of having a beater. Spend two hours a day in a car and you want it to be nice. But it gets rock chips, door dings and salt damage so why bother? But then if it breaks I have to drop it off and wait a couple days for it to get repaired. But the newer it is the more it costs per mile.
Yeah I think I'm done with beaters for daily drivers. I like having my Camry as a backup, plus my brother usually drives it to the grocery store and Starbucks, it sees maybe 3k miles a year.

Thinking of a Camry hybrid or similar for my next car. Aside from the current ridiculous car prices, $25k for 10 years/200k is $2,500 a year. Really not a big deal. Plus little to no car problems plus comfort and tech? Sign me up.

Back